Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I am going to purchase a dedicated deer rifle. Either a Tikka T3x or a Kimber Hunter 6.5CM, 7mm-08, or 308. I will not shoot beyond 300 yards. I prefer a Duplex reticle. I want a scope that will track well when sighting it in and then hold zero. I want a generous amount of eye relief. I would be fine with a fixed power scope or a variable. What scope fills this need?

Last edited by kandpand; 07/18/21.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
BP-B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 and never have to think about your scope again.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 07/18/21.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^THIS^

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would be looking at the Tract Toric 3-15X42 with T-Plex reticle

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kandpand
I am going to purchase a dedicated deer rifle. Either a Tikka T3x or a Kimber Hunter 6.5CM, 7mm-08, or 308. I will not shoot beyond 300 yards. I prefer a Duplex reticle. I want a scope that will track well when sighting it in and then hold zero. I want a generous amount of eye relief. I would be fine with a fixed power scope or a variable. What scope fills this need?

Duplex reticle, 300 yards, hold zero.

So far my relatively new Leupold VX-3HDs and VX-5HDs work well and do exactly what you require. I am still a maximum point blank range hunter, so once set, my scope don't get adjusted. So a ballistic reticle and giant knobs are totally unnecessary. A max of 8X to 10x is entirely adequate to 300 yards.

You didn't say what your budget was. You can find 2.5-8s and 3.5-10 VX-3HDs for $459.99, and 2-10X VX-5HDs for $759.99.

Here's a 2.5-8X VX-3HD on my Win M70 Featherweight .308.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A 3.5-10X VX-3HD on my Win M70 Alaskan .300 Win Mag.

And a 2-10X VX-5HD on my Win M70 Super Grade .270.

I'll say this: you DO NOT need a 30mm tube. You won't need the extra amount of adjustment a 30mm tube gives you at 300 yards. 30mm tubes are big, and bulky on a hunting rifle. You'll save money with a 1" tube. With respect to the VX-3HD versus VX-5HD, you'll get glass on the VX-3HD that is, to my eyes, just as clear as the VX-5HD.

I've had a lot of luck with Leopold scopes, the "Leupold Hate" thread not withstanding. They are generally very, very good scopes.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/18/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Your location is showing in GA. Are you going to be hunting in low light conditions? Is weight a concern?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's a Cabela's Instinct (Zeiss Conquest/Meopta clone) for sale for $350 in in classifieds right now. Can't imagine you wouldn't be completely satisfied with it for your needs.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Many excellent vintage / recent scopes that fits the bill for you. High dollar value.

Weaver microtrac K4 (4x steel tube USA or aluminum tube Japan)
Bausch & Lomb Scopechief IV. or "just" B&L (4x or variable). High end scopes in 1980's.
Leupold M8 4x, 2-7x, 3-9x
Bushnell Elite (Japan mfg)
Bushnell Banner (Japan made 4x or variable)
Burris Fullfield (4x or variable)
Sightron SII. ( 4x or variable), or if you get lucky, a Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x or 3.5-10x)
Nikon Monarch or pre-Monarch ( I have a fixed 4x pre-Monarch, which fantastic).
Don't laugh off Japan-made Tasco "World Class" or "World Class Plus" scopes.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my thoughts are what style of hunting do you do? Still hunting or tracking FOV would be an asset 1.5-5x20, 1.5-6x4?, 2-12x4? and most of the 2.5x-whatever with a minimum of 40' on the bottom end, I prefer more. Shooting out of a stand, known distances, mostly standing/ walking targets you can get away with a lot more scope.

Last edited by erich; 07/18/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Might want to look at the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm. Lots of love here on the fire for that scope. I couldn't find any negatives on it. Doug has them for $159.00 shipped. I have one and like it a lot.
Bob

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Your location is showing in GA. Are you going to be hunting in low light conditions? Is weight a concern?

Yes to low light conditions as I primarily hunt in the woods but I do hunt some power lines. Mostly stand hunting but some still hunting. I am not overly concerned with weight. Would like to spend $500 or less.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I good 6x scope would work well. I'd do a hard pass on the 3-9x Burris if you are considering low light.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You've now been recommended about 20 different scopes as the best for you.

Did that help?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
I good 6x scope would work well. I'd do a hard pass on the 3-9x Burris if you are considering low light.

A 6X scope will do all you need. Don’t cheap out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Yes to low light conditions as I primarily hunt in the woods but I do hunt some power lines. Mostly stand hunting but some still hunting. I am not overly concerned with weight. Would like to spend $500 or less.

There are a lot of scopes that will serve you well. When you place emphasis on eye relief and low light performance under $500, that spells Leupold. Unfortunately, Leupold can behave oddly getting to zero. Most of mine have. That said, all of mine have held zero once set.

I have two scopes in the sub $500 range that I'd recommend, based on your stated needs. This one from our site sponsor https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...0138-9c55-00163e90e196?variation=2779766 I have that one but with the red dot (which you may want to consider) It dialed right in, has great low light performance and decent eye relief. It is a tad heavy. I haven't read of any issues with them. I also have a a Burris Veracity which checks your boxes. It too is a bit heavy. I have read of some owners who though the glass wasn't good. I think our eyes play heavily into which glass works best for us. https://www.natchezss.com/burris-ve...fp-ballistic-e2-reticle-black-matte.html

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like you’ll hunt similarly to how I hunt.

For a $500 or less hunting scope, I think there are several good options. This isn’t an exhaustive list as I’m not an authority. Just some scopes I’m familiar with.

Used Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56. New may not be much more than $600.

New GPO Passion 4x 3-12x56 can be bought for $500 delivered tyd. It has a German #4 reticle. I like the one I just bought.

If you can get a used Meopta Meostar for $500, they’re awesome in lowlight.

I also really like my Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50. I think you may find one used in that price range.

All of the above have 30mm tubes. I personally like how they look. Personal preference.

I really like the large objective lens. It makes a big difference for lowlight hunting. I know scopes don’t
“gather” light. But, I sure see more with my 56mm than my 42 in the same glass.

Happy hunting!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DugE

New GPO Passion 4x 3-12x56 can be bought for $500 delivered tyd. It has a German #4 reticle. I like the one I just bought.

Happy hunting!

I have never used one, but I have heard good things about them. https://www.cdnnsports.com/passion-4x-3-12x56-g4-ret-german-precision-optics.html

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
In the woods one may like less than 3x at times.
Out to 300 yards on deer maybe just go w a 2-7x w 1 inch tube?

Newer scopes of over three times power range might be worth looking at

Classic rifles imho look best w classic looking scopes.
So a 30mm w big honking objective, eyepiece or turrets looks funky.

Modern plastic stocked rigs can wear about anything.
So looks proly no biggie. Weight might be a consideration though.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My deer rifles....one wears a peep, another a 2-7x, one a 3.5-10x and the last a 4-12x.

And if I buy another, in a thumper, 1-5x. smile

In my area, yup, 300 and in

Last edited by hookeye; 07/18/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Listen, we all have our favorites. I've hunted with Leupold, Weaver, Burris, Bausch and Lomb (when they were called B&L), Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco (Japanese), (and I'm sure I'm leaving out some) and they all did what I wanted them to do. None failed. All had at least decent glass, some of them downright excellent.

Your requirements for a duplex reticle, for shots to 300 yards, with decent low light performance can be met by many scope makes and models. A duplex reticle is fine for what you want to do. You don't need any complex ballistic reticles for those kind of shots. You don't need a bulky 30mm tube. You'll get your best low light performance at low magnification. If you want decent low light performance at the highest magnification, you are going to want something that gives you an exit pupil of no less than 4mm. The more the better. That means if you have a max power of 8X you need at least a 32mm objective. If you max power is 10X, a 40mm objective will get you there. Lots of scopes out there to choose from that have that.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll make a fine choice. Post a pic of whatever you select. Not a single person on this site would ever tell you that you could have done better with something else - I'm sure of it.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/18/21.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.