Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Quite awhile back I signed up on email to Starlink, said they'd let me know when it was available here so I could sign up. Never heard a peep. Saw on social media folks around me talking about how good it was. Looked at it again and had to pay up front for it, even though I couldn't get it yet. I said fugk you.

I am rethinking my position. Hughsnet isn't fit to lick the dogchidt off my boots. Lying corksuckers. I cannot wait until I can can dump them in favor of something better.

It's only a $99 deposit to get on the Starlink list and it's refundable if you get tired of waiting. Think they're trying to sift out the tire kickers.

Likely....

So...back to my original posting, does anyone here have Starlink, and how is the service working out?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
It's not going to be available to us for awhile. I've actually signed up for Pacific Dataport which should be available this fall. The satellites are on a N-S orbit and cover polar regions and high latitudes better
cost ? i sent them a note ..aint heard back yet

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, most of the current Starlink satellites are in east-west orbits, although with the next launch they'll start to put them in polar orbits. Best coverage now is at up to 57 degrees latitude, if I recall correctly. You can see a live map of where they all are right now if you click HERE Zoom in and you can see them moving. Click the cogwheels to set filters, such as for active satellites and your location.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Online Content
i've had it since feb. works great,does drop very rarely,works great for streaming netflix etc

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Starlink is not counting exclusively on rural consumers for profit. When fully built out, it will provide lower latency than transoceanic cables. The high frequency traders will pay big bucks for faster connections between the NY, London, etc. stock exchanges.

That statement doesn't make sense. 1's and 0's travel at the speed of light whether on fiber or on radio waves. In order to get from point A to point Z (terminal to server), the only way to reduce latency is to reduce distance (assuming there aren't other latency inducing factors). Starlink does nothing to reduce distance over fiber.

Yes and no. The total distance going up to the satellite and back down may be longer than a terrestrial path, but transcontinental transmission across cables, even fiber, requires several repeaters due to signal loss. Each one of those adds a delay.

Nope. The comment was made about transoceanic cables. Undersea fibers do not use repeaters. They use EDFA's without any latency

Also, long haul terrestrial fiber is also amplified with EDFA's, still no latency added.

Explanation here.

The claim is NY to London will have estimated 43ms latency compared to 64 currently. Also consider that satellite communication - assuming both ends are connected this way - eliminates the need for routing through the various ISP’s to get to the undersea cable.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Just down the mountain maybe ten miles away is one of their facilities with eight "domes". They installed it with six last summer and just a few weeks ago I saw them install two more.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Starlink is not counting exclusively on rural consumers for profit. When fully built out, it will provide lower latency than transoceanic cables. The high frequency traders will pay big bucks for faster connections between the NY, London, etc. stock exchanges.

That statement doesn't make sense. 1's and 0's travel at the speed of light whether on fiber or on radio waves. In order to get from point A to point Z (terminal to server), the only way to reduce latency is to reduce distance (assuming there aren't other latency inducing factors). Starlink does nothing to reduce distance over fiber.

Yes and no. The total distance going up to the satellite and back down may be longer than a terrestrial path, but transcontinental transmission across cables, even fiber, requires several repeaters due to signal loss. Each one of those adds a delay.

Nope. The comment was made about transoceanic cables. Undersea fibers do not use repeaters. They use EDFA's without any latency

Also, long haul terrestrial fiber is also amplified with EDFA's, still no latency added.

Explanation here.

The claim is NY to London will have estimated 43ms latency compared to 64 currently. Also consider that satellite communication - assuming both ends are connected this way - eliminates the need for routing through the various ISP’s to get to the undersea cable.

I read the article, and there's a bit of wishful thinking. There are currently no satellite to satellite communications with starlink. There are plans to implement it, but not until next year, and only 10 satellites. The intent of them is to minimize the need of ground stations in the arctic. The article takes some liberties with match in regards to the uplink and downlink gains, and doesn't take into account the physical multiplexing at the ground stations.

As far as routing through various ISP's... If someone wants to minimize latency (for example large traders), they don't have their traffic "routed" through various ISPs. They buy a dedicated l2vpn which does not get routed. It's a direct pipe from point to point. There is very little latency in an l2vpn since there's no switching (in the traditional sense) involved nor packet manipulation below the S-tag level.

I've been in this business for a lot of years, and I've read lots of whitepapers from those in the industry trying to sell stuff. The gains from LEO satellites in regards to latency just isn't there.

(disclaimer: my company provides bandwidth to both Starlink and Oneweb)

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I signed up. We've currently got a 30 Mbps connection that costs $145/mo.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The latency gains they claim are comparing low orbit satellites to geostationary ones, not to satellite versus cable or fiber. Regarding sat-sat laser linking: that's the plan for the finalized fleet. When the first-generation satellites up now get replaced, the new ones will carry laser packages. Eventually, they'll all be cross-linked. Starlink birds are currently designed to have a relatively short lifespan, so that they can be replaced as the technology evolves. They also are designed to de-orbit and completely burn up, leaving no debris behind or reaching the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So how do they handle the bad-weather trouble like I used to have with Sat TV?

I’m getting 150-200/30-40 MBPS DL/UL from cable for $95 a month. Interruptions are extremely rare, and they jump on problems lickety-split. Don’t think there’s anything they can do for me, but I hope they can help put the folks in the real sticks.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd

So...back to my original posting, does anyone here have Starlink, and how is the service working out?

Might not really be what you are looking for but I've been following this guys videos, he's actually running it and testing it in various locations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTQi37nnCd8&list=PLp14lzXh07umaSGOZtRZ_jc4nIU5P5aOz&index=4

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, got my Starlink last night. Opened the box, everything was pre-connected--literally plug and play. They forgot to include the instruction manual.
I tossed the small tripod array in the backyard for a quick check and this was the result:
After 15 years with no cell service and inferior satellite internet providers, this speed is mind blowing. And no data limits!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The need for speed has a lot folks paying for transmission rates exceeding their system's capability. Much like burning premium fuel in a 70's VW.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/30/21.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats, broomd. BTW, another 120 satellites going up in August, the first 60 into polar orbit, which will start to extend the coverage area farther north and south.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, the hype must be real.

I am on the waiting list and we are hoping to use the thing with the camper. 140 megabits parked next to a big wall would be nice to have.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Congrats, broomd. BTW, another 120 satellites going up in August, the first 60 into polar orbit, which will start to extend the coverage area farther north and south.

T/y! After never having experienced high speed internet, I'm blown away. I realize that here are much faster inner-city connections out there, but for us rural Americans, this service will be life changing.

Originally Posted by Stickfight
Wow, the hype must be real.

I am on the waiting list and we are hoping to use the thing with the camper. 140 megabits parked next to a big wall would be nice to have.

Hang in there! Worth the wait; about six months for us.
Everything is automated, this dish literally moves and tracks the birds. It's heated as well to alleviate snow/ice issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How's the "on time"? Any service interruptions?

Originally Posted by 1minute
The need for speed has a lot folks paying for transmission rates exceeding their system's capability. Much like burning premium fuel in a 70's VW.

You're missing the whole point. Starlink is the only option for me at the farm.(no DSL no cable, no wireless, too weak cellular signal and Hughesnet is a joke). With Starlink, I can remotely access my monitoring system, and, more importantly, I can accept debit and credit cards for farm sales. You ever try to get white people to carry enough cash to buy anything more than a cup of coffee?

It's nice it's decently fast, but it's all about it being available, at all.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

The max speed of light c is in a vacuum. Its speed depends on the medium. This guy does some calculations and say it has a 30% reduction in fiber cable.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...light-travel-through-a-fibre-optic-cable

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, got my Starlink last night. Opened the box, everything was pre-connected--literally plug and play. They forgot to include the instruction manual.
I tossed the small tripod array in the backyard for a quick check and this was the result:
After 15 years with no cell service and inferior satellite internet providers, this speed is mind blowing. And no data limits!

that is going to change rural America.

buy the most remote land you can find with Electric

its about to go up in value.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by KFWA

that is going to change rural America.

buy the most remote land you can find with Electric

its about to go up in value.

It will. That said a lot of rural America was strung with Fiber because of Obama so part of the demand is satisfied already.

I say buy remote with no electricity and generate your own. Not sure if it will ever be available in Alaska or if so it may be a long time.

Last edited by OldHat; 07/30/21.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10Glocks, 1973cb450, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.