Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Oh and thanks Blacktailer, jwall and ChrisF. I do have an interest in this stuff!

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz
The US development of the 30-06 was the culmination of lessons learned from Europe. Etonnante! Them Euros sure was smart! Specifically, the British and their 303 cartridge, and maybe a teensy bit from the Germans. crazy

The .303 and .30-40 do share the same parentage. The .303 was directly derived from the cartridges developed by Rubin in Switzerland. In the case of the .30-40 the US Ordnance Department got hold of a box of Rubin cartridges via the US military attache in Paris, and sent them to Frankford Arsenal in April 1890 with a request to make up a batch of experimental cartridges based on these. After a few fits and starts the 1891 Small Arms Board cartridge was the outcome. More development followed, and rimless designs were also trialled (as was the Belgian 7.65 mm Mauser) before the final version of the .30 Ball was put into production in October 1893.

You figure? laugh You were paying attention!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The crucible of rifle shooting is on a range with scored targets. A gentleman named Germain Salazar did a bit of shooting at one thousand yards on paper in front of witnesses for score. He used to write an interesting blog but no longer. Anybody can claim whatever but a target doesn’t lie.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Oh yeah, Mr. Salazar was a fan of the 30 GOVT06. Her shot lots of rounds at 1000 yards.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
It is refreshing to actually learn something on this forum.

……and then, there’s Brad.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
It is refreshing to actually learn something on this forum.

……and then, there’s Brad.

It's been my suspicion all along that you and Llama are one in the same... and of course if you're not, you are anyway.

It's certainly not surprising you show up when Llama can't post one BG photo of a kill he's made with a 300 WSM...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I don't believe the call out for photo's was directed at me, I do agree that this thread is missing photos...so here's my contribution.

First photo is what I believe is my first animal taken with a 30-06 (prior to that I hunted with a 308). Dad brought home a rifle from an old ill friend that wanted me to try his rifle that he had built for running game. It was an old pre-64 Target rifle that he had bought as surplus (complete with "US Property" markings). He realized the barrel was probably shot out, but had a local gunsmith turn down the barrel to a bit more than a featherweight, and restocked it with a high combed sporter stock. It was topped of with Griffin and Howe mounts and a 1-3/4 power Redfield. Turns out that he loaned this rifle to my dad when he first started hunting deer (prior to that he just hunted pigs around the farm). When I visited to share some of the mouflon that we had smoked and share the photos and stories from the hunt, he asked how I like the rifle? I told him it was great! and he said he'd like me to have it. He passed away shortly after that, and I still have that rifle and think about him each time I see it.

Last edited by ChrisF; 07/17/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There were things that needed to be tended to on that M70, so I set it aside for a bit and decided I would put a rifles together from an old beater M700 I had as a project gun. I bought a take-off barrel from an ad in Shotgun News. I wanted stainless because our environment is hell on steel, and a barrel in 30-06 was the first stainless one I found. I slapped on an old Redfield 2-7 Post and crosshair that was laying around my dad's house and went hunting. TIme stamp says 2005.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2012 and another axis buck. Same M700 in 30-06 in the background.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle is now on it's 3rd scope (with a possible 4th upcoming). What made this rifle a favorite is that it shot to the same poi day in and day out. It was a boring 3/4" rifle. But before leaving on this trip, the Rifle was throwing shots . However when I grabbed an old box of ammo it shot tight again so it made the trip with me. After landing we went to check zeroes and it was throwing shots again (2+ inch groups). I decided that I would limit my range on this hunt to 100 and maybe 200.
Got this one inside of 100. I have some work ahead of me. Bedding? Ammo? Scope? Shooter (gasp!)?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...so there. Animals with a 30-06 in 4 decades. 98, 05, 12 and 21. I have other rifles I hunt with in other calibers...but many times I end up with ole ugly here. I guess I started off as an accidental 30-06 shooter and have evolved into a 30-06 advocate. That 7mm barrel that I had intended for this rifle has sat unused for some years now. That reminds me I'd better check it for rust.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=ChrisF]I'm enjoying my popcorn on the sidelines...but I would like to say I enjoy dan_oz's posts for his rational thought and his historical perspective.

well i made popcorn too ! > i am having trouble with should i use just regular salt or sea salt ? but i am using real butter for sure. myself i have lost the joy in a lot of recoil in bigger calibers with a rifle these days so just hand me my old 30-06 and some 130 grain bullets or my 25 caliber rifles.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now Chris, everyone would believe “ beater 700”. smirk

But now “boringly” 3/4” accuracy..... come on now, how about all the bolt handles that fell
off ? shocked. Beside 700s are SO yesterday ! And 30-06, seriously man that’s A Century old. eek

Goes to show you.. Some things just keep on working. grin

I have & have had more 700s than ANY other brand/model AND have not had 1 single solitary
problem including accuracy. whistle
laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry, I forgot. Great Pix.
Congrats

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ChrisF
While I don't believe the call out for photo's was directed at me, I do agree that this thread is missing photos...

I don’t understand how you’re not 100% certain who the photo call-out was directed at…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well…there are very few certainties in life and my comprehension might not be the best while browsing on a phone …but that little disclaimer is there to not step on your tiff with llama_bob.
So llama, let’s see some of the BIG, big game you’ve put on the turf with the 300WSM… something for which the 30-06 would not have been the equal.

You've made all kinds of claims about the superiority of the 300 WSM over the 30-06 with no reference to game size or range.

It's time for show and tell from you.

Someone so profoundly opinionated must have a lot of experience with both rounds...

It's certainly not surprising you show up when Llama can't post one BG photo of a kill he's made with a 300 WSM...

…like I said, I could be wrong, and in the event it was directed toward me, please let me know and I’ll be sure to pull the photos because I wouldn’t want to be a part of any forum bickering.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well…there are very few certainties in life and my comprehension might not be the best while browsing on a phone …

I’d suggest that’s the answer to your quite odd statement…

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are right…I missed “not” in your post…while the”not” in my post remains in full effect. Apologies.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
You’re safe from Brad this time, Chris.

You see…..Brad tries to rid the forums of all the bad guys……ONE at a time.

And usually, he just jumps in on a hog pile.

A true independent thinker, that one.

…but that little disclaimer is there to not step on your tiff with llama_bob.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you loaded the 308, 30-06, and 300 WSM at the same pressure wouldn’t the efficiency be ranked the highest from the smallest case to the lowest in the largest?

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.