Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope.

Hunting is all about finding game and getting close.

Alpha glass is for shooters, not hunters.

Someone can be both and have different types of rifles and scopes for different purposes.

God Bless America
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beav, my woods Guns get glass that sees better in the dark since it seems dark in the woods and especially at last light when deer tend to move most.

The rifles for our west get scopes that track and are able to dial. I’ve never ran out of light before the end of legal time out west.

In the East is where the really nice glass shines in my opinion and I’m not dialing on most any of them either. They’re set and forget zeroed for sensible ranges.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Copy that, Scotty...Make sense.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any thoughts on running better glass if hunting public land vs. private land ?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Deer are out there all day. You don't have to shoot them in the dark nor do you have to sit on your ass waiting for them to move.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's up to you.

I shot deer for years with 3rd tier glass, but now that I can somewhat afford it, I do like the better glass.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Reliability is what matters to me. Heck, I'll happily hunt with peep sights and a top tier binocular. Great glass is a must for me in binoculars. For a scope, I just want to bullet to go where the crosshairs are pointed.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have enjoyed using good glass for many years be it rifle scopes or binos, more than once I've been able to shoot an elk or deer at first light that with my lesser scoped rifles might have not ended the way I wanted.
I don't dial and the price range of my "good" scopes are between $500 and $1000, after that I'm not sure if I could appreciate the difference but to my eyes my Zeiss, Kahles or Swaro scopes are well worth the extra cost over a VX 3 or the like.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
It's up to you.

I shot deer for years with 3rd tier glass, but now that I can somewhat afford it, I do like the better glass.
I killed multiple deer every season with iron sights for many years. Some in excess of 200 yards and some on the run. Though a scope does offer advnatages over iron sights, they're still not mandatory for my success. I'll fill my tags with or without.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you can't see it clearly you can't shoot it accurately whether it be from distance, Mirage, or Darkness

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🦫

Nope…. I’m intrigued where you’re going though.

Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
It's up to you.

I killed multiple deer every season with iron sights for many years. Some in excess of 200 yards and some on the run. Though a scope does offer advnatages over iron sights, they're still not mandatory for my success. I'll fill my tags with or without.

Same here. Which scope do you prefer for your style of killing?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I remember reading an article in Guns Digest that made an big impact on me, about a guide's view of working with clients ( by Jim Zumba?? John Barsness??)

One comment made in that article was the writer/guide would rather see a client show up with a beat up 270 Winchester bolt and a simple 4x scope, than a shiny new magnum rifle and big variable scope, and then have the "magnum rifle hunter" show up with a dinky pair of binoculars.

The writer's / guide's advice was to have the client put the bigger part of their optics budget into the best binocs they could afford, and not into the rifle scope. More time on the hunt was going to be spent using the binocs, not the rifle scope.

This approach struck me hard that made a lot of sense to me. It was an excellent, very enlightening and useful article. Bottom !ine? Alpha glass on the binocs first, decent glass on the rifle scope second.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you can't see it clearly you can't shoot it accurately whether it be from distance, Mirage, or Darkness
Originally Posted by handwerk
I have enjoyed using good glass for many years be it rifle scopes or binos, more than once I've been able to shoot an elk or deer at first light that with my lesser scoped rifles might have not ended the way I wanted.
I don't dial and the price range of my "good" scopes are between $500 and $1000, after that I'm not sure if I could appreciate the difference but to my eyes my Zeiss, Kahles or Swaro scopes are well worth the extra cost over a VX 3 or the like.

Kind of leads me to a question I've often wondered. I know some guys that say they can't tell the difference between a Zeiss and a Bushnell Banner. I wonder if that's because their eyesight is very good or if it's because it's pouring out they don't get the benefit of the better glass. I think it's the later but

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is there a concise definition for "Alpha Glass?"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

🦫

You can’t spook the hole, brother.

Laffin

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Is there a concise definition for "Alpha Glass?"

Is there any differences in spandex panties ?

😝🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

🦫

Laffin

🦫

This is going 10 pages.. I’ll put a beer on it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buttstock
I remember reading an article in Guns Digest that made an big impact on me, about a guide's view of working with clients ( by Jim Zumba?? John Barness??)

One comment made in that article was the writer/guide would rather see a client show up with a beat up 270 Winchester bolt and a simple 4x scope, than a shiny new magnum rifle and big variable scope, and then have the "magnum rifle hunter" show up with a dinky pair of binoculars.

The writer's / guide's advice was to have the client put the bigger part of their optics budget into the best binocs they could afford, and not into the rifle scope. More time on the hunt was going to be spent using the binocs, not the rifle scope.

This approach struck me hard that made a lot of pragmatic sense to me. It was an excellent, very enlightening and useful article. Bottom !ine? Alpha glass on the binocs first, decent glass on the rifle scope second.

There maybe a lot of truth to a guy with a well used rifle, who has hunted his entire life.

Animals should probably fear him.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

🦫

Laffin

🦫

This is going 10 pages.. I’ll put a beer on it.

Deal 🤝

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
533 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.