Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by EdM
If I understand Alpha Glass correctly apparently I own none. As such I have not struggled with mule deer, whitetail, elk, moose, black and grizzly bear, all manner of Zimbabwean, Namibian and South African stuff from cerval to cheetah to kudu, eland, gemsbuck, mountain zebra, cape buffalo and most of the rest of the basic plains game. Nary an issue with apparent lesser optics. My 416 M70 has been fine with 500 rounds prepping for the Zim trip and arrived and performed fine. Same with my FN Mauser 30-06.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nicely done. Beautiful animals.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have decent scopes on my rifles. Most in the 500 to 800 dollar range but a couple I paid more for. Too much really. But nothing Alpha. And what I have discovered is that from a practical hunting standpoint where I am located there isn't a damn thing I can do with the scopes on the upper end of my range that I can't do with the scopes on the lower end. Like I said in another thread I use scopes as an aiming device to shoot deer and hogs. I'm not taking photographs for National Geographic. Maybe the alpha glass in a 3000 dollar scope could help me better appreciate the rich beige highlights of a deers pelt at distance. But if I can see him well enough to kill him during legal light with a 700 dollar scope then it's going to be real hard to convince me that the slightly enhanced color perception is worth the extra 2300 dollars.

Last edited by Willto; 07/29/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Willto
Originally Posted by EdM
If I understand Alpha Glass correctly apparently I own none. As such I have not struggled with mule deer, whitetail, elk, moose, black and grizzly bear, all manner of Zimbabwean, Namibian and South African stuff from cerval to cheetah to kudu, eland, gemsbuck, mountain zebra, cape buffalo and most of the rest of the basic plains game. Nary an issue with apparent lesser optics. My 416 M70 has been fine with 500 rounds prepping for the Zim trip and arrived and performed fine. Same with my FN Mauser 30-06.

Nicely done. Beautiful animals.

Way cool on the Cheetah!!

Not sure I could hunt in shorts. I know it's a thing over there and it's hot, but just not sure I could.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

It’s obvious you can’t afford any of it either, Ed

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How many deer does it take, to meet this classification ?

Inferior in every category, our youth model Savage M11, now wearing a slip on butt pad to increase length of pull, in (gasp) .243, wearing a crummy simmons 8 point 3-9x40 scope, shooting 100gr blue box soft points, or 95gr federal fusion, has for sure as $hit killed more than double the amount of Whitetail, than any of our other set ups !!

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Inferior in every category, our youth model Savage M11, now wearing a slip on butt pad to increase length of pull, in (gasp) .243, wearing a crummy simmons 8 point 3-9x40 scope, shooting 100gr blue box soft points, or 95gr federal fusion, has for sure as $hit killed more than double the amount of Whitetail, than any of our other set ups !!

wink

You’re just fortunate that your Ontario deer are trained to walk up to you and suck the muzzle of your rifles. Otherwise, you’d be shopping for meat at the local co-op.

😬
🦫

“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by beretzs
Beav, my woods Guns get glass that sees better in the dark since it seems dark in the woods and especially at last light when deer tend to move most.

The rifles for our west get scopes that track and are able to dial. I’ve never ran out of light before the end of legal time out west.

In the East is where the really nice glass shines in my opinion and I’m not dialing on most any of them either. They’re set and forget zeroed for sensible ranges.

I take it you have never hunted the Oregon coast or Washington coast! A good scope will hunt both desert and rainforest!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

wink

You’re just fortunate that your Ontario deer are trained to walk up to you and suck the muzzle of your rifles. Otherwise, you’d be shopping for meat at the local co-op.

😬
🦫

C'mon Man !

You know it's about personality !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

If there's something I've learned in 4 decades of insane amounts of hunting western big game, it's NOT to skimp on glass or boots.

Last edited by Greenhorn; 07/30/21. Reason: I can’t read
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

wink

😬
🦫

C'mon Man !

You know it's about personality !

wink

Haha...You got that in spades.

If I die and get to come back....I want your life.

👍🏼🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My main hunting rifles have scopes that would be considered "Alpha". I don't "need" them but why does that matter, I can afford them and I like them. They sure don't hurt anything.

I probably spent less on those two scopes than most here spend on rims and speakers for their pickups.

Nobody "needs" an Alpha scope. Nobody needs to eat a good ribeye or needs to hunt either for that matter. I have them because I like them and I earned the money to buy them, that's all the reasons I need.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Not sure what anybody else thinks and don't care. But I'll reply. On a typical year I may spend 20 days scouting/hunting elk, maybe 10-15 on deer, 20-30 on bears, 10-15 on antelope. I often get to tag along on other hunts for other animals, This year I drew for Bighorn Sheep in MT, and CO mule deer, and a limited permit in MT for elk, I'll also be hunting elk with my daughter for elk, as she drew a premium permit in MT. 4 in my house are likely to draw antelope in MT also. I have never been guided.

Tuesday was my 30th day this year since May 11th draw results posted in my sheep unit looking for sheep (and hunting bears some). In that time, I've used a STS80, ATS95, 10X42ELs, 15X56SLC, and just this week I picked up a pair of 12X42 NL Pures. Wow - THAT is some glass!

If there's something I've learned in 4 decades of insane amounts of hunting western big game, it's NOT to skimp on glass or boots.

I’m trying to resist the “pure” purchase… 😂

I think beave is talkin about scopes though kurt, what are you guys runnin for scopes these days?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yeah I can't read apparently. alpha "scope" glass. duh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The OP can barely “afford” Alpha” glass so do as you pleas

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Deer are out there all day. You don't have to shoot them in the dark nor do you have to sit on your ass waiting for them to move.

You are a broke digk. Just give up

LMAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey do nothing Bob Brown, we all noticed you didn't post a single pic in the "pics or it didn't happen" thread on the big board. Obviously you run your mouth and quarterback from the grandstands, but have nothing to add from you actually hunting and killing stuff. Although not a surprise at all, congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
just this week I picked up a pair of 12X42 NL Pures. Wow - THAT is some glass!

Have you played with them in rain and fog or just summer weather? It seems to be hot and dry down there so I am guessing just summer nice weather but I would be interested in hearing how they fare in the snow, wet and cold.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Hey do nothing Bob Brown, we all noticed you didn't post a single pic in the "pics or it didn't happen" thread on the big board. Obviously you run your mouth and quarterback from the grandstands, but have nothing to add from you actually hunting and killing stuff. Although not a surprise at all, congrats.

Are you kidding?
Bob’s “always” outdoors!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Are you kidding?
Bob’s “always” outdoors!

I see what you did there.

🤣🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont own any alfa scope glass. I use VX 3’s . Its not that important to my hunt to have an alfa glass scope but thats not to say I wont have my main deer rifle scoped with one in the future. I wouldn't deny that alfa glass might work to benefit me. Reason I say that is I see deer noticeably better and sooner in the woods while scanning with my swaro EL binos than when I put the binos down look at them with my VX3. I only say that alfa scopes are not important to my hunt as I cant really say I have ever missed out on killing a deer because I didn't have one. I cant shoot them through the brush anyway. By the time they get cleared of the thickest brush I can see them through the VX3s very good. Im looking forward to trying a alfa scope maybe next year.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 07/30/21.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 20 of 23 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.