Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
A buddy just gave me a pound of H322, he's gotten completely out of handloading.

It looks like it might work well with my 204 Ruger and a variety of bullets.

I've never used H322, not that I can recall anyway. Anyone here use it? Thoughts? Experiences?

Particularly with the 204 Ruger, but just getting some info from users of the powder would be great.

Thanks, Guy

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
204, 223, 22.250 It works extremely well. I use tons of it... always have 10 to 15 pounds of it on hand...

I use it in a lot of other calibers also....and its been around a long time...

Go on Hodgdon's web site and they list under its description " probably the most winning bench rest shooting powder ever"..

It don't BR shoot or compete, but it certainly is pretty darn accurate....and not real finicky.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H322 works for a wide range of calibers. It even worked well out of my 450 Marlin.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Go on Hodgdon's web site and they list under its description " probably the most winning bench rest shooting powder ever"..

Hodgdon propaganda..........back when H322 was winning bench rest match's it was decades and generations ago using different cartridges. It was also pre "Extreme"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Hodgdon propaganda..........back when H322 was winning bench rest match's it was decades and generations ago using different cartridges. It was also pre "Extreme"

Showing my age as usual then. Its still pretty darn accurate tho....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

So? It was still winning matches going up against the best powders and bullets in cartridges that were available.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

So? It was still winning matches going up against the best powders and bullets in cartridges that were available.

Yes it did win some matches back in an era when you were still schittin in diapers.........hopefully that was several years ago ?????............since then VVN133 has surpassed what H322 ever did in BR by a quantum leap !!!!!!!!

Not saying anything bad about H322 I use a lot of it myself and it is a great powder, just saying Hodgdon's claim is out dated by many, many years.............also I stated that when it was a viable BR powder it was pre "Extreme", the new "Extreme"H322 is not quite the same powder just as the pre "Extreme"Varget is NOT the same as the newer "Extreme"Varget

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well hell Boat Anchor.. I'm outdated also, but I keep chuggin right along....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Here's what Hodgdon says about this "ancient" powder of which you speak. This, from the 2021 Reloading Annual Manual.

"This Extreme Extruded powder has won more benchrest matches than all other propellants combined. It provides match grade accuracy in small and medium capacity cartridges like the 223 Remington, 6mm PPC & the 7mm TCU. As a fine extruded powder, it flows through powder measures with surperb accuracy".

Hodgdon propaganda, no doubt but you were wrong on it being pre "Extreme".

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Let me apologize to boatanchor for starting an argument that was unneeded. There are lots of good powders out there, those being discussed here among them. I'm not sure where I was thinking this was going to end but there's no reason to quibble about things such as smokeless powder. My apologies to you, Sir.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Now you guys have me questioning my favorite load of Benchmark behind a 40 grainer. Would H322 work better? I guess I'll just have to find out for myself.

If and when the weather cools down a little.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laffin.

I like 322 a lot, always have a jug handy. Pet in my 22BR. Meters GREAT. I've done 322 loads under 40s in 223, they were nice but my reality afield is, if I'm shooting 40s in a 22, I'm shooting "gopher loads" which stay a lot cooler over a session. In 204, I have had excellent luck with TAC, which burns a bit slower, in the old H-335 range without 335's warts. I'm just bringing this up because comparing 223 Rem to 204 Ruger, seems the Ruger does better with the "slowish" powders you'd use in 223 Rem. So I'd suggest trying the 322, then if you CAN, find a pound of TAC and try your luck there with the same bullet/case/primer.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I just finished working up a load from my fathers CZ 204 Ruger. H4322 and Hornady 40 gr Vmax or Berger 40 gr HP, sitting right around 3/8”-1/2”at 100 yds. Rifle might be capable of better results than the shooter, just sayin!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Now you guys have me questioning my favorite load of Benchmark behind a 40 grainer. Would H322 work better? I guess I'll just have to find out for myself.

If and when the weather cools down a little.

Don't fret.... I get as good of results out of Benchmark as I do with H322, and I get as good of accuracy out of H 322 as I do Benchmark...

So rest assured, Hodgdon has made this for there being no way for you to screw this up...

Put your feet up, have a beer and quit stressing...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Hodgdon propaganda, no doubt but you were wrong on it being pre "Extreme".

No I was actually correct, more Hodgdon BS.........

Hodgdon introduced Varget in 1996 (really in 1995 but that's another story), when introduced it was just "NEW" with no moniker of "Extreme"..............the "Extreme" thing started sometime in the early 2000's and Hodgdon's touted Varget as being the first "Extreme" powder............then shortly after H322, H4350,H4831,H1000etc. became "Extreme"also...............

Just to make things clear, H322's big Benchrest Era was many,many years before "Extreme"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just as an interesting side note to Hodgdon's propaganda.........in 2010 they introduced IMR8208XBR

"New for 2010 "no target to small".........."total benchrest dominance", Enhanced thermoballistic performance....

The benchresters tried it for a couple months.......gone never to be seen again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure if it even won a match !!!

I use Hodgdon's powders more than all others combined, so I have zero problem with their products, they just lie a lot in their advertising !!!!!!!!!!!!!

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
IMR8208XBR may be gone with the benchrest bunch, but it is my favorite powder for 17, 204, and 223.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
187 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 26 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.