Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I hunt predators day and night. At night I want good glass.

Before you and DingoSucksMeOff start fighting...What’s good glass for you.

Not judging, just curious what you run at night. I’ve got limited experience doing any night hunting....

Well, there was this one time, but she was legally old enough, and she didn’t say stop.

😜🦫

Nightforce and Schmidt Bender on my predator guns... The Duk of death and I are big buds now LOL

Coyotes shot no waiting.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Duk I says." Little Bill Dagget. As Fuqked up as California is, they do allow us to run up to a 12 volt light at night for predators. No night vision though.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hunt predators day and night. At night I want good glass.

Before you and DingoSucksMeOff start fighting...What’s good glass for you.

Not judging, just curious what you run at night. I’ve got limited experience doing any night hunting....

Well, there was this one time, but she was legally old enough, and she didn’t say stop.

😜🦫

Nightforce and Schmidt Bender on my predator guns... The Duk of death and I are big buds now LOL

Nice...I have a couple S&B scopes. One is also on a predator rig - 20 Practical.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know if you need alpha glass but you definitely don’t want cheap entry scopes. Especially some of the rifle scopes combo .
You can get lots of scope from 250-500$ now days.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m a believer, that in a competitive, pubic land hunting situation, especially for bull hunting. Having good enough glass on a scope that will let you see horns before, or at least at the same time another hunter who is running alpha bins. Can give you an advantage on making a good shot before another hunter touches off.

🦫

PS

I’ve also been the hunter who had elk shot out from under me, because I didn’t have good enough optics to spot animals.

I learned up real quick.

I consider myself a pretty good shooter, but not a very good hunter. That said, I have spent enough time hunting to realize that use cases are different for different people. Someone that hunts a corn field, sage brush, farmland, rolling hills, SW desert, or alfalfa may have a different set of needs than someone that hunts deep, dark, hellholes.

I'm sure Beav knows this, but "dark timber" out here in the PNW and elsewhere is something that you literally have to see with your own eyes to believe. I don't know where he hunts, but the "hills" can be dang near vertical and they aren't tiny. I'm not talking rolling hills of the NE or SE portions of the US. More like straight up and down, and jagged. Not mountains per se, but a thousand or more in elevation. It gets "dark" well before legal sunset in those holes and only gets worse. And it's literally a rainforest. Luckily, shooting distances are short.

In contrast, you can get out of a hole and hunt clearcuts that are literally lit up by moonlight, just like a crop field, or desert landscape. I've seen a lot more hunters lurking those areas, but there are plenty of tough bastards out here that dive down into those hellholes after deer and elk.

So will a scope that works well in sage brush or crop fields, +/- 30 minutes of sunset, be good for dark timber? I don't know, we'd have the try them. But it's funny how people assume their open field use case applies to someone that is in near darkness well before legal sunset.

I had one experience in Eastern Oregon near the breaks of the Snake River where I assumed that it would be more open country hunting, compared to the coastrange that I am used to. And it was, in terms of the landscape. But the deer and elk still bed in the ribbons of timber. Those ribbons are in the crevasses of the landscape. That timber can be as thick, or thicker than anything in the coastal rainforest of OR. In other words, you aren't making much progress on foot.

That hunt turned into cat and mouse in dark timber right around legal shooting hours, which is +30 minutes of legal sunset. I had a Viper 2-7x on my rifle. I found mule deer in the timber at dusk, but I couldn't confirm antlers. I had to use my $300 binos which were plenty for the conditions. Then raise my rifle. Then not be sure it was a buck. Sling the rifle, and look through the binos again. Then shoulder the rifle. The deer were milling around in the timber.

I think everyone gets the point. After that I experience, I was really interested in Mule Deer's scope tests. Especially his low light tests. Based on that, I bought a few Leupo 6x42, just for the performance in lowlight, but I don't know how much better that scope would be in that situation, as I don't know how the Viper 2-7x compared. All I knew was that the Viper wasn't nearly as good as $300 binos.

The best general purpose scope that I have used in low light was a Kahles 2-7x.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did learn a hard lesson a few years ago when I took my son in law hunting for his first time... walking back to the truck we took a detour through a strip of timber I knew the deer liked to hang out in close to sunset and it was about 30 minutes before then so we sneaked in and stopped every few feet to glass around and check the shadows for deer waiting to head down into the canyons just a couple hundred yards away.

I put my Leupold binos up and looked around and when I scanned across a dark shadow under a heavy fir tree I could see a big four point looking back at me- but just barely. I slowly put my binos down on the harness and brought up my rifle and looked all over for that deer with my 3-9 Leupy on my rifle and couldn't make it out to save my life... looked through my binos again and there it was, but just barely made it out... if my binos had been attached to the rifle I could have had a dandy deer that evening, but my scope just wasn't up to it in the same light conditions... I'm pretty sure most scopes wouldn't have been in that situation and I run into that situation more often than I like to admit....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jason,
In coastal timber for elk, I’m using either open sights on a lever gun or a lightweight Browning BAR MK3 with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 scope. Both, to me, have advantages. Running shots on bulls in dense timber, I prefer open sights and shooting with both eyes open.

If we’re heading into timber with pockets of small clearings/wallows and meadows, I like my scoped BAR. The 2.5-8x36 is a pretty decent timber optic at reasonable yardage inside a canopy of Doug Fir.

As you stated, it’s unrealistic to claim one size fits all the types of hunting environments for optics, rifle chamberings, or even boots...With that said, my personal experience, especially hunting elk on pub-land on the Coast, is optics rule, both in scouting with long glass, scanning the hunting ground with bins, or in a scope.

I always have to assume, other hunters have done the same leg work I’ve done, to scout up bulls before opening day. Because of the competition, and the inherent seriousness found in people during bull hunting, any advantage, is a good thing.

In contrast, me sitting over a shooting bag for 10 hours shooting ground squirrels or p-dogs - my scope optics are not the same quality as my big fur rifles. They’re good, helpful, and easy on the eyes for extended lengths of shooting. But the glass isn’t tier 1 stuff. For me, it’s perfect for that type of hunting I’m doing.

I believe that since I’ve been on both the unlucky end of having game shot out from me, and also the winning side of taking animals before others had the opportunity, mostly due to optics. I would encourage anyone who hunts public land with OTC tags to consider what I have found helpful by upgrading to a solid performing scope with glass good enough that a person can transition from the bins to their scope in low light and watch heads until you can hit the go button.

🦫

PS

I hunt the Wilson Unit exclusively for elk the past 43 years....Damn, I’m getting old !

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to run Leupold stuff in the 80's until I found out about Kahles/Swarovski... The good stuff is all i use on my rifles now since then. We can shoot for an hour after sunset legally so the quality really works here... if you have bright sunny conditions, any old scope will work.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

No...I just like nice toys.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
It's up to you.

I shot deer for years with 3rd tier glass, but now that I can somewhat afford it, I do like the better glass.
I killed multiple deer every season with iron sights for many years. Some in excess of 200 yards and some on the run. Though a scope does offer advnatages over iron sights, they're still not mandatory for my success. I'll fill my tags with or without.

just as long as your spotlight works right

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hit my small pocket light, casting light into my cupped hands, so I could see enough to dial the yardage

illuminated turrets rock......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
It's up to you.

I shot deer for years with 3rd tier glass, but now that I can somewhat afford it, I do like the better glass.
I killed multiple deer every season with iron sights for many years. Some in excess of 200 yards and some on the run. Though a scope does offer advnatages over iron sights, they're still not mandatory for my success. I'll fill my tags with or without.

just as long as your spotlight works right
Never needed a spotlight. After reading these types of discussions on here for years I think some of you fuggers are blind as a bat and few could use iron sights effectively if their lives depended on it. And btw scopes do work much better than iron sights at night with a light. I know that from years of coon hunting and predator hunting. I started out deer hunting with an iron sighted Mossberg 500 slug gun when I was a kid. A few years later got a Winchester 94 .30-30 as my first deer rifle. I killed deer every season for years with those two before I ever used a scoped rifle. Anybody who really needs a scoped rifle to kill deer and seriously can't get the job done with irons either ain't much of a hunter/shooter or is blind enough they should stay the hell out of the woods for everyones safety..

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is another example of someone’s really small world colliding with reality.

But seriously anybody who really can't kill deer with iron sights and really needs a scope to get the job done is a pretty lame ass hunter and shooter.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

No...I just like nice toys.

JS,

Post a few pics of that work rig you used for culling Roo’s for 15 years. That set-up is the epitome of what a working rifle and optic looks like.

Also, what is the rifle, barrel and scope ? Barrel looked to have been replaced - which wouldn’t shock anybody after years of daily service.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM

But seriously anybody who really can't kill deer with iron sights and really needs a scope to get the job done is a pretty lame ass hunter and shooter.

How so ? Keep in mind I've killed deer in the open in excess of 300 yards with iron sights and under heavy hemlock/spruce/pine canopy on cloudy days at sunrise/sunset.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM

Isn't that the truth.....

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by SLM

Isn't that the truth.....
You mean to tell me there is someplace you simply can't kill deer between sunrise and sunset and manage to get within 300 yards to do it ?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’d assume you consider yourself a lame ass hunter since you didn’t sneak to 10 yards and kill all these deer with a long bow?

Originally Posted by SLM

How so ? Keep in mind I've killed deer in the open in excess of 300 yards with iron sights and under heavy hemlock/spruce/pine canopy on cloudy days at sunset.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Blacky,
You know, that I know, your hunting environment doesn’t require tier 1 glass. Same for a lot of other hunters around the country.

Hunting terrain and styles of hunting are different due to locales, conditions, and more importantly, an individuals style of hunting they prefer.

The thread is about glass and whether there is value and benefits to upgrading or not.

You adequately covered the reasons why for you, and other hunters like you, probably don’t need the improvement in glass.

Just saying dude...

🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
I’d assume you consider yourself a lame ass hunter since you didn’t sneak to 10 yards and kill all these deer with a long bow?

Originally Posted by SLM

How so ? Keep in mind I've killed deer in the open in excess of 300 yards with iron sights and under heavy hemlock/spruce/pine canopy on cloudy days at sunset.

I have killed deer with bow and gun at 10 yards and less. That has nothing to do with this discussion. You want to tell me exactly WHERE IT IS that you can't kill deer between the hours of sunrise and sunset with an iron sighted rifle ?

Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.