Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
FWIW, I too yearned for a light lefty so much that I eventually ordered a Fieldcraft, telling myself I'd just shoot the righty on the left side. EZ enough. Turned out the Fieldcraft was an excellent rifle, and too much (or little) of a good thing. It taught me there was such a thing as too light. So I went back to the Tikka, which is light enough.

Only regret is that I let a good LH Tikka '06 out of my stable in the process.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy a discontinued Forbes and be done with it.
Poor man's NULA and they shoot lights out.

I've killed a boatload of game with my .308 over the last five years, feel very fortunate to own one.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a Lefty Tikka Superlite, sold the factory plastic stock and replaced it with a McMillan Hunters Edge but with the standard fill. That particular stock design is very slim and compact to begin with. I knew from experience(having the same stock on a LH short action Remington 700) that even with the standard fill it would be plenty lite(I agree with Talus...a rifle can be too lite).

The McMillan did not disappoint, I’m now looking to buy another Tikka in the future and replace the factory stock with the same “standard fill” McMillan Hunters Edge.

All this from a reformed Tikka hater. I just couldn’t warm up to the plastic Tikkas...several of my buddies have them.Then I bought one and replaced the plastic. They are great rifles! Super accurate and very reliable. Lots of aftermarket parts for Tikkas to replace the trigger guard, bolt shroud etc. Not exactly cheap, but nothing is for a lefty as we all know here.

Leftybolt

Attached Images
Last edited by Leftybolt; 07/31/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
good post, Leftybolt.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Leftybolt
I bought a Lefty Tikka Superlite, sold the factory plastic stock and replaced it with a McMillan Hunters Edge but with the standard fill. That particular stock design is very slim and compact to begin with. I knew from experience(having the same stock on a LH short action Remington 700) that even with the standard fill it would be plenty lite(I agree with Talus...a rifle can be too lite).

The McMillan did not disappoint, I’m now looking to buy another Tikka in the future and replace the factory stock with the same “standard fill” McMillan Hunters Edge.

All this from a reformed Tikka hater. I just couldn’t warm up to the plastic Tikkas...several of my buddies have them.Then I bought one and replaced the plastic. They are great rifles! Super accurate and very reliable. Lots of aftermarket parts for Tikkas to replace the trigger guard, bolt shroud etc. Not exactly cheap, but nothing is for a lefty as we all know here.

Leftybolt

Several years ago, I had one of the early Left Hand 1:8" twist .223's. And sold it because I could not warm up to the ergos. However, I do like the fit and feel of the McM Hunters Edge. Duly noted for future consideration... laugh

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Orion,

I didn’t like the ergonomics of the Tikkas either. But more than that it just felt cheap(like Savage rifles feel cheap, in my opinion).

Then I saw one here on the Campfire that had been put into a McMillan Hunters Edge. I though, “Wow, that looks like a nice rifle without the plastic stock”.

So, in a moment of boredom, I decided to buy one and order a McMillan.

The Hunters Edge totally changed the feel of that rifle for me. Replacing the plastic trigger guard and bolt shroud made it even better. The Tikka now feels really solid...nothing cheap feeling about it. I can honestly say it is one of my favorite rifles now and I own several LH Winchester 70s and Rem 700s and a few CZs.

Leftybolt

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a LH Tikka in 7 mag and a LH Christensen in 7-08. Like them both except as others have said the stock on the Tikka leaves a lot to be desired. Seriously considering spending the bucks for a McMillian. By the way, they are both shooters.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Leftybolt

Leftybolt

Now that is a tikka idea I can get on board with. I am slowly becoming a "reformed" tikka hater the more I read on this post.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just assembled a LH 110 in 280 AI with a 23” barrel and a VX3 3.5-10 weighs 6 pounds 10 ounces no ammo or sling. I literally just got it together and haven’t shot it yet but so far so good.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Single_Shot
I just assembled a LH 110 in 280 AI with a 23” barrel and a VX3 3.5-10 weighs 6 pounds 10 ounces no ammo or sling. I literally just got it together and haven’t shot it yet but so far so good.

Not trying to be contrary but I'd like to see the components listed out with weights to see how you got to 6lbs 10oz as I'm at 7lbs 1oz with a proof stock 19oz, proof barrel 22" sendero lite and a Defiance anTi SA (19oz)

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by duckhunter175

Not trying to be contrary but I'd like to see the components listed out with weights to see how you got to 6lbs 10oz as I'm at 7lbs 1oz with a proof stock 19oz, proof barrel 22" sendero lite and a Defiance anTi SA (19oz)

I need to take the assembled rifle to work to weigh. I weighed all the components individually and it shows as 6.85 pounds like it sits which would be just under 6-14. The bare rifle is right on 6# components totaled. I think I may have had a scope weight of a 2.5-8 VX3. My bathroom digital shows 6.6 but I mange a lab that has several analytical balances calibrated annually by Metler that we check daily. The total components of just the rifle weigh 2721.52 grams. My barrel is a SS no name pencilweight and weighs 918 grams that at the time were rumored to be Bergaras and the stock is 770 grams including a Limbsaver, again a no name that I got used from a big Savage guy. He didn’t remember the maker and it’s definitely the weakest link.

I’ll try to sneak the whole thing into work tomorrow. My company has a no weapons policy so I have to be a little stealthy.

Last edited by Single_Shot; 08/07/21. Reason: Clarification
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Look forward to final result! Don't get fired-- figured you might have a pencil steel barrel but the stock suprised me! Interested in the weight of just the savage action/bolt/bottom metal and barrel nut?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Look forward to final result! Don't get fired-- figured you might have a pencil steel barrel but the stock suprised me! Interested in the weight of just the savage action/bolt/bottom metal and barrel nut?

Weights in grams. Action includes trigger (Rifle Basix) and mag box. It's a blind mag.

Action 566.09
Bolt 382.20
Barrel Nut 35.07
Recoil Lug 24.16

It also has Talley Lightweight extendeds. The barrel helps, but the stock is (to me) where the savings is. If you hold my stock and a wood stock in each hand, the wood feels like you're holding a brick. The pencil barrel had me nervous, but it doesn't feel whippy or weird, at least to me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Duck hunter,
Based on your build components and listed weights I have to assume you have a rather heavy scope and mounting set up to reach over 7 pounds (at least compared to the leupold single shot has on his)

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
Duck hunter,
Based on your build components and listed weights I have to assume you have a rather heavy scope and mounting set up to reach over 7 pounds (at least compared to the leupold single shot has on his)

Here's the list:
Proof Lightweight Hunter Stock (with javelin insert, painted and bedded)- 20oz
Defiance SA anTi: 19.2oz
Proof Sendero Lite 22" (7saum) w/ 2 port Ti brake: guessing around 42oz
TT Special: 2.2oz
Rem 700 aluminum bottom metal/follower/spring/wyatts box: ?? Don't recall exactly but it was lighter than the hawkins or alamo BDLs

Originally it had hawkins lightweight hybrids (3.7oz) and a Leupold Mk5 3.6-18x44 (26oz) and the total weight combined was 7lbs 5oz-- switching to 30mm hybrids and a lighter scope saved over 4oz!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Weights in grams. Action includes trigger (Rifle Basix) and mag box. It's a blind mag.

Action 566.09
Bolt 382.20
Barrel Nut 35.07
Recoil Lug 24.16

It also has Talley Lightweight extendeds. The barrel helps, but the stock is (to me) where the savings is. If you hold my stock and a wood stock in each hand, the wood feels like you're holding a brick. The pencil barrel had me nervous, but it doesn't feel whippy or weird, at least to me.

Looks like your barrel is close to a 1/2lb lighter, and the stock def helps compared to most on the market. Big difference in receiver weights as expected between a SA and a LA. Im impressed how light your rifle came in!!! Post some pics when it's all done!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

So I checked and I had 326 grams in for the scope, which would have been the 2.5-8x36 VX-3. I ran into this like new VX-3i 3.5-10 CDS which is responsible for almost another 50 grams. I'm also in Talley med height rings. I tried the lows but couldn't get the clearance or my head in good position with the lows. That's probably a few grams too but that puts me within 5 grams of my expected. I didn't weight the scope or rings that are on it.

Total is 3160.7, which is 6.968 pounds, or 6#,15.5 ounces. I'm happy with that.

I'm not really sure how to exactly maneuver photos here but this build link will take you to the image gallery for a pic and a pic of the weight.

Build

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Usually I say if a rifle is sub 7lbs ready to hunt (even if its 6 lbs 15.9oz) then I consider that a win. As long as the first number is a 6 then I feel like I did all I could.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Okay so you guys convinced me....I am going to go with a Tikka. Apparently they are hard to come by right now since the foreign gun makers aren't importing so my dealer said he has no idea when he could get me a lefty Tikka. I have found one online in 270wsm and several 30-06. Here is my question: the 270wsm I found appears to be an older model so the gun has t3 on the bottom of the grip (not t3x) and the stock is a little different that the current stock.

My question is were the older models (t3) heavier than the t3x lite or superlite? if so, that will go a long way in helping me decide which to buy

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What caliber are you looking for? I have a LH Tikka T3x 6.5CM that I'm not shooting and also a Christiansen Ridgeline 6.5 CM that is pretty light in weight that I would make available. Send me a pm if you have any interest in discussing these.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.