Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been planting semi dwarf apple and pear trees around the plantation for the past 20 or so years. they have been fruiting ok for quite a while but spotty. stars aligned this year and all my trees are loaded. never saw them like this. actually concerned for the pear trees. they are bent over and theres still a month or so of growing season. might need to prop them up somehow. funny thing is, i can take or leave apples and pears. eat a dozen or so a year. guess the deer will be eating good this year.

anybody else having a banner year?

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The deer will be eating good off of my apples trees as well this year. We rarely eat them but we do let some of the church folks come out and get them. The deer get the rest.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Late frosts killed most of the fruit tree crops around here this year. It is a pretty common problem with this area - warm temps in late winter start trees to budding, and then a late freeze zaps them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
I've been planting semi dwarf apple and pear trees around the plantation for the past 20 or so years. they have been fruiting ok for quite a while but spotty. stars aligned this year and all my trees are loaded. never saw them like this. actually concerned for the pear trees. they are bent over and theres still a month or so of growing season. might need to prop them up somehow. funny thing is, i can take or leave apples and pears. eat a dozen or so a year. guess the deer will be eating good this year.

Glad to hear you're going to get a good crop.. But here, the very late frosts decimated most apple crops.. Some places might get 20% yield - but that's about it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the cherries here are dehydrating on the tree from the heat and hot sun.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
About 40 trees up here near the UP border and not enough apples to make a pie. Late frost!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My pawpaw trees are loaded. Been a good vegetable season too.

Maybe cull some fruit off the heavy limbs

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by auk1124
Late frosts killed most of the fruit tree crops around here this year. It is a pretty common problem with this area - warm temps in late winter start trees to budding, and then a late freeze zaps them.

2nd year in a row, here. Beginning to forget what a peach looks like.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Second the culling on the pear tree. Go through and pick all of the small and misshaped ones. Even propping up the limbs you’ll still risk major damage to your tree.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m having another non year. I bought land in wrest central Ks in 09. Following year, I planted a variety of apple, peach, pear and plum trees, about 20 total. In ten years, I’ve gotten zero peaches and pears, a few dozen apples, and one year had a bumper crop of plums, a couple five gallon buckets.
I’m very disappointed. I bought varieties supposedly good for that area. I have recommended pollinators for each fruit. But nearly zero success.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having a good year with the figs and persimmon, the squirrels and possums are eating well.

The guava and sugar cane was all killed off down to the ground by the hard freeze we had in Feb.........slowly coming back.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Second the culling on the pear tree. Go through and pick all of the small and misshaped ones. Even propping up the limbs you’ll still risk major damage to your tree.

Definitely cull the odd balls and fruit with defects ASAP. I would cut the stems with scissors at this point too rather than attempt to pull them off. After the cull then I would still go through and thin out to no more than a pear every six inches. Fewer but better fruit and you’ll save damage to the tree.

Fear the crabcat.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Luckily we didn't have a late frost this year. My apple trees are loaded! I built a blind near them last year.
[img]https://postimg.cc/2btb9TN8[/img]

Last edited by RS308MX; 07/19/21.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great year. Course all the fruit growers around are so.....

But thin those trees!!!!!!

You can break limbs.

Peaches 4” apart at least.

If one out of 100 blossoms on an apple tree produces.....you have a good year

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

You have to thin them out.I grow apples to sell.If they are too thick together they get disease,and are miss shaped.Get rid of at least 50%.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by JeffP
My pawpaw trees are loaded. Been a good vegetable season too.

Maybe cull some fruit off the heavy limbs

When I first met my wife I convinced her to eat a green persimmon. Oh that was funny. LOL!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hit and miss around the state but some crops have and are going to have bumper or record producing years.

Cherries had a record year as rains and lack there of just right.

Nuts especially pistachios are projected to have a great years.

Citrus was down about 10% early this year.

Should be an outstanding vintage year if rains don't come too early late summer.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah my grapes are loaded too

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes

on apples
on peaches

no on pears (frost on those blossoms)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thin HEAVILY. You can thin 75% of peaches and end up with the same total weight of fruit because of larger size. If you don't thin 75% of the apples, they likely won't bear at all next year. Remove all but 1 in each cluster and thin the clusters to at least 4" apart.
I haven't seen pears do that but the fruits will be stunted if not thinned.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.