Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been working on cleaning up the place I got in Kansas. Got approval from the county to put a gate in over an easement they had on the place. It dead ended on my land and they were good enough to admit they would never use it and let me gate it off. Neighbor is handy with a welder and welded these up out of drill casing. Each of the 4 posts has right at 400 pounds of sacrete around them and are a minimum 48" deep.

We'll let those dry for two weeks then I'll get my son to help me hang the gates on there. Need to prime them and paint them first. It'll be nice to get those up. We were working and had the good fortune to get interrupted about 3 times by neighbors on all sides coming by to shoot the bull and get acquainted. Really fine folks in Kansas.

Next up is hanging tree stands and doing some fun stuff. Then we'll be back clearing cedars, yuccas and doing a burn. Planning on 8-15 acres being planted in alfalfa next fall and have a lot of clean up work and prep work to do. Have to get a soil test done too and that is probably next trip out there.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 30338; 07/18/21.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Looks good! Enjoy!!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks good.
Did same thing on land I bought in Ks in 09.

NRA Patron
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I had bought more back in 2009. Really enjoying my time out there working and watching wildlife. Still more things to get done but making progress.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How wide of gates?

IC B2

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
24' wide Don. Need to cut out some sumac trees to get 24' all the way down the lane but that is also in the plan. Neighbor made sure we had room for his swather.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 30338
24' wide Don. Need to cut out some sumac trees to get 24' all the way down the lane but that is also in the plan. Neighbor made sure we had room for his swather.

Two 12' gates?

Just put a 20' gate at the ranch entrance here. Had to use more than 2 hinges. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, did 2 12 footers. One of them will get used and other will just get opened for hay swathing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The gates will be nice, look good, and you're definitely doing a good job. But the best part of the post is meeting the neighbors and getting to know them.

Good neighbors are priceless!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03
The gates will be nice, look good, and you're definitely doing a good job. But the best part of the post is meeting the neighbors and getting to know them.

Good neighbors are priceless!

And rare!

IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Amen to good neighbors. These guys are all long term guys in the area and just top notch folks. I could easily see living out in that area someday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love the fence post.
I think they are cool as all get out, seems a terrible amount of
work for a post, but "ya gotta do what ya gotta do".

Can't just staple barbed wire on a tree, when there's no good trees.
And to think so many bitch about Locust trees here.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update to the good neighbors comments lol. So after we installed the gate with the county's approval, one of the neighbors who never drives down the lane to my place complained that the county can't "give" the easement to me. Threatened legal action against the county even. So the county called me and is going to use their equipment to remove the posts we installed. Have to say if I see that neighbor in a ditch out there needing help, I'll drive by slowly.

I'll eventually stretch a few hundred yards of fence now in a north south direction and work with the petroleum guy to insure his trucks can gain access as needed. I'll say that I am fortunate to have a few good neighbors vs all good neighbors. Amazing how some people are. I offered the guy the code to the gate so he could drive down the county easement any time he wanted. Said he didn't want to get out of his truck lol. The easement goes 300 yards past my place and dead ends at the river. Had to vent, but dayum.

Back to killing yucca, locust, cedars, and working on food plots in a few weeks. Was pissed for a few days but need to move on now.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Gotta love the fence post.
I think they are cool as all get out, seems a terrible amount of
work for a post, but "ya gotta do what ya gotta do".

Can't just staple barbed wire on a tree, when there's no good trees.
And to think so many bitch about Locust trees here.

I am amazed at the sheer number of stone fence posts that are out in that area. Miles and miles of them. Had to be back breaking labor cutting them, hauling them and then installing them. Tougher guys than me for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 30338
Update to the good neighbors comments lol. So after we installed the gate with the county's approval, one of the neighbors who never drives down the lane to my place complained that the county can't "give" the easement to me. Threatened legal action against the county even. So the county called me and is going to use their equipment to remove the posts we installed. Have to say if I see that neighbor in a ditch out there needing help, I'll drive by slowly.

I'll eventually stretch a few hundred yards of fence now in a north south direction and work with the petroleum guy to insure his trucks can gain access as needed. I'll say that I am fortunate to have a few good neighbors vs all good neighbors. Amazing how some people are. I offered the guy the code to the gate so he could drive down the county easement any time he wanted. Said he didn't want to get out of his truck lol. The easement goes 300 yards past my place and dead ends at the river. Had to vent, but dayum.

Back to killing yucca, locust, cedars, and working on food plots in a few weeks. Was pissed for a few days but need to move on now.

I would stop them from tearing it out ASAP!

Tell the county not to destroy anything until you get a ruling, and then apply for vacating the easement. You may be required to show cause and get a variance approved to vacate the easement, but if the county road easement dead ends at your property, and nobody accesses their property, or public land past that point, then I don't see how they can deny the vacation of said easement.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Easement laws may vary from location. Around here and easement is granted to a certain person or business. Example pipeline you can gate off an easement on your place and lock it even so long as who has been granted their own lock or a key for access. A third party such as a neighbor wanting to drive down the easement can go pound sand. Now that's said there are certain laws about public Waterway access that has been used for so many years sometimes has to be available that may be the issue.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Having the easement rewritten to be a private easement to be shared by the two neighboring landowners forever was actually proposed. That was also shot down. The guy wanted to split the easement and fence it off down the middle which would have eliminated the road we all use to get in there. Literally a guy who per conservations with other parties there never traveled down there who is wanting to make life rough. I'm going to walk away from any further discussions with him.

As a side note, his grazing lease guys had their cattle get in my field recently. I saw them on camera and they got them out quick. That said, there is nothing stopping them now from going out that opening into another guys bean field or farther south as I am removing a crap fence on my side of the easement. There were a number of benefits like that which the gate would have helped. So it goes, have other fish to fry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people are just born to be an ass.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

94 members (35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 13 invisible), 976 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.