Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Laffin’, that’s the kind of partner to have.

I grew my own.

I’ve got one of those to, but the damned Marine Corps is always holding him down. Got another contender coming in Nov, so I’ll feed him solid for 16-18 years and make him pack tough grin

Semper Fi
BP-B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Smart man, spread them out so you don’t wear them out at the same time.

My mule won’t be around this season as well. Lots of jokes about the old man staying close to the road this year.

Thank him for his service!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
" MIKEWERNER Holy Cow! Kinda feel like we just got took to the woodshed!

As a bowhunter........I avoid the front shoulder like I do California.
But.......check the comic books.......there are lungs behind those front shoulders.
Broadheads + heavy bone = bad.
Light, frangible bullets + heavy bone = bad."

Mike, when you shoot them in the lungs or heart they run. And most likely out of sight, I want them planted right close to where they were when I pulled the trigger. Most of the country I hunt in is very steep, if they clear the ridge line in dry fall conditions, there is a good chance you may never see them again. I lost one bull that I shot in the chest, at 150 yards while laying prone on the adjacent ridge line. He went right down, and followed the law of gravity towards the timberline. Just before he got to the timber, he found his footing, bolted into the timber, and was followed by a large number of his brethren, who cleverly covered up his tracks. After two hours and darkness fell upon me, I walked out the three miles back to the trail head. I punched my tag and went home.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks SLM

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
elkmen,

I think it was 1992….. close to Eagle, Colorado……lost a bull.

Got up high early….watched a string with two bulls, still low. They were on their way up when a red S10 came up a two track and thumped the big bull. Smaller bull followed cows and transferred to the next drainage, hastening their exit, up.

After a prolonged sprint….got into a strategic position. Thought everything worked great. Shot felt good, bull dropped, then back up and quickly gone.

Didn’t shoot for the front shoulder…..but it appeared to be low shoulder bone at the shot site.

We try to avoid the front shoulder, always.

Was not shooting a premium, then. Live and learn.

7mag. Around 250 yards. Blood about a half mile…..many different tracks.

Searched the area the rest of the hunt, for that animal only…..still have the bones in a baggie, sitting with past whistlers. A humble reminder.

Originally Posted by elkmen1

But.......check the comic books.......there are lungs behind those front shoulders.

Mike, when you shoot them in the lungs or heart they run. And most likely out of sight, I want them planted right close to where they were when I pulled the trigger. Most of the country I hunt in is very steep, if they clear the ridge line in dry fall conditions, there is a good chance you may never see them again. I lost one bull that I shot in the chest, at 150 yards while laying prone on the adjacent ridge line. He went right down, and followed the law of gravity towards the timberline. Just before he got to the timber, he found his footing, bolted into the timber, and was followed by a large number of his brethren, who cleverly covered up his tracks. After two hours and darkness fell upon me, I walked out the three miles back to the trail head. I punched my tag and went home.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Were you wearing your shiny brown shoes?

There’s a few on here that claim they’ve never had something go wrong.

There’s 2 kind of people that make that claim. Ones that haven’t killed much, and liars.

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
elkmen,

Got up high early….watched a string with two bulls, still low. They were on their way up when a red S10 came up a two track and thumped the big bull. Smaller bull followed cows and transferred to the next drainage, hastening their exit, up.

After a prolonged sprint….got into a strategic position. Thought everything worked great. Shot felt good, bull dropped, then back up and quickly gone.

Didn’t shoot for the front shoulder…..but it appeared to be low shoulder bone at the shot site.

Searched the area the rest of the hunt, for that animal only…..still have the bones in a baggie, sitting with past whistlers. A humble reminder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You’ve never heard me claim nothing goes wrong in the field.

Funny…..the 243 shooters never come forward with a failure.

Originally Posted by SLM
Were you wearing your shiny brown shoes?

There’s a few on here that claim they’ve never had something go wrong.

There’s 2 kind of people that make that claim. Ones that haven’t killed much, and liars.

elkmen,

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don’t see where I said I did.

Have not seen a “failure” with a .243.

You’ve never heard me claim nothing goes wrong in the field.

Funny…..the 243 shooters never come forward with a failure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After two hours and darkness fell upon me, I walked out the three miles back to the trail head. I punched my tag and went home.

I admire people who punch their tag on a wounded animal, but must confirm that you only looked for two hours before throwing in the towel?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
After two hours and darkness fell upon me, I walked out the three miles back to the trail head. I punched my tag and went home.

I admire people who punch their tag on a wounded animal, but must confirm that you only looked for two hours before throwing in the towel?

I think he meant two hours after the shot in the dark then again the next day.

If I’m remembering that one right he shot in the evening and it moved over into a timbered eastern Oregon hillside, so he looked after the shot and more the following day.

I’ll let him add more details but I remember him telling me about it once he got back into cell coverage. I’d bet a buck or bull he didn’t give up easy on it.

Semper Fi
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I went back the next morning and the herd was also back in the area. Lots of tracks and lots of sign, no blood and no dead elk. to be found . I had several more days to hunt but i believed that the elk was either cead, or not recoverable. So as I said above I had already punched my tag so I went home. Sorry i wasn't clear, I some times ramble on, this time apparently I was too short,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha.
Thanks for the clarification.

As a side note, I am not near 50 elk but I also don't have the number of seasons behind me that some do. There have been multiple years where I have had an extra cow tag, and if I could draw would have multiple bull tags too. My best year is two bulls and a cow (done that twice) and one year I killed one bull and two cows.

50 elk is more than possible if you're dedicated and have a plan for the meat.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
None of my freezer meat wore horns this last year…….land-owner deer, elk, obviously hog.

Guess I’m just a lousy trophy hunter……but well fed anyway.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
My best year is two bulls and a cow (done that twice) and one year I killed one bull and two cows.

50 elk is more than possible if you're dedicated and have a plan for the meat.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
MIKE I believe I have missed hunting 4 seasons since my first elk, i have also take three elk several times. Most of these were when I lived in Idaho. At that time you could buy left over non-resident tags in addition to your resident tag. I don't believe they have any left over these days. Then add on a Wyoming or Oregon elk and three come pretty easy. So my calculations show i have 56 seasons behind me with an overage of over one elk a year. I am a hunter, and could care about horns, last year I had a either sex tag in Wyoming and shot the first nice fat cow I saw. A spike bull in NE Oregon also added to the pile. Idaho was a bust, as it was really hot and dry with lots of other hunters. I am also over 75 in good shape and can still pack out my own elk on my back, if necessary. Its getting harder but I am not going to give up.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You are a blessed man…….very fortunate you can still get after it.

My plan is to go down kicking, as well.

MIKE I believe I have missed hunting 4 seasons since my first elk, i have also take three elk several times. Most of these were when I lived in Idaho. At that time you could buy left over non-resident tags in addition to your resident tag. I don't believe they have any left over these days. Then add on a Wyoming or Oregon elk and three come pretty easy. So my calculations show i have 56 seasons behind me with an overage of over one elk a year. I am a hunter, and could care about horns, last year I had a either sex tag in Wyoming and shot the first nice fat cow I saw. A spike bull in NE Oregon also added to the pile. Idaho was a bust, as it was really hot and dry with lots of other hunters. I am also over 75 in good shape and can still pack out my own elk on my back, if necessary. Its getting harder but I am not going to give up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No premiums needed only good shot placement.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
220 grain Core locks worked for many years.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Core locts worked but i started shooting eldx and they are muuucccchhhhh better

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a draw tag for an antlerless elk this year, will be using my 40/65 Sharps with a 420 grain bullet.
Land is owned by a friend's family, he's already scouted out what is happening this year with crops and whatnot, and figures to plant me in a transition area between two fields with a 150 yard max shot.
It's gonna be fun!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.