Print Thread
Hop To
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Has anyone had an issue while shooting Hornady 17 HMR ammo? A buddy of mine had a magazine blow up while shooting with his Volquartsen. The rifle ha been checked out by Volquartsen and it was recommended to shoot A17 ammo only through it.

[Linked Image]

You can see the magazine was cratered. I know this rifle as I bought it new. The same thing happened to me except as a left handed shooter, I caught some shrapnel in my ear and neck. It went back to Volquartsen and they went through it, fixing whatever it was they thought was wrong. They told me at that time to only shoot A17 ammo through it.

Anyone else have anything like this happen to them?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
So your saying that it’s happened twice with this rifle?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Firing out of battery?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sjphillips
Firing out of battery?

Either that or the weight of the "bolt" and the pressure of the spring are not matched to the speed the regular Hornady ammo cycles the action.

Roughly the same result .. cartridge pressure is too high when the case sidewall is not supported by the chamber.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hmm. I thought it was known that the 17HMR is known to be dangerous in a straight blow back action, such as the Ruger 10-22/10-17. One reason they discontinued the 10-22 magnum. The delayed blow back system that the Savage A17 uses is much safer when running the higher pressure rimfire rounds like the 17HMR. Since the Volquartsen is a glorified Ruger 10-22, I would not trust it as being safe.. JMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Know issue with any 17 HMR ammo in a semi auto. Two proven problems cause the blowups. Pressure runs right on the ragged edge of being contained by a non locking bolt. Don't help that pressure levels are know to vary wildly with 17HMR ammo round to round box to box. Next problem is don't take much of a dirty chamber to prevent complete chambering. Round will still fire but the bolt already has a head start at not containing the pressure by not being closed all the way.

The Savage ammo has supposedly tamed the pressure curve. However I would still not trust it in any semiauto other than the A17. Any safety factor of the ammo is more related to the A17 locking design IMO.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
another reason I am pretty much a bolt action guy....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OSU Sig: Sadly I have been along on Varmint Safaris over the last 18 - 19 years where all manner of "issues" have arisen with the 17 HMR cartridge and 17 HMR Rifles (both bolt actions AND semi-auto!)!
I have endured many split necks in my bolt guns and revolver along with some separated heads and the like but I have also seen first hand two Ruger 77/17 HMR's that have suffered blown up stocks and blown up magazines!
And then there are the out of battery detonations that my friends with Volquartsens and Magnum Research 17 HMR's have suffered over the years.
Now, this year, two of my Hunting partners with the AR-15 looking 17 WSM's are suffering out of battery detonations with their 17 WSM's!
Bottom line is wear shooting glasses and try to keep the chambers of the semi-auto 17 HMR's and 17 WSM's "clean"?
And if you hear a funny sounding round at discharge in your bolt action 17 HMR stop firing and check the bore for obstruction!
Be safe out there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by sjphillips
So your saying that it’s happened twice with this rifle?

Both times when shooting Hornady ammo. There have been zero malfunctions with CCI A17 ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you going to try for a 3rd time w Hornady ammo?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
The rifle is not mine. I sold it after receiving back from Volquartsen and checking it out. The current owner, like me, has been weaned off Hornady ammo in semi autos.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
The Savage ammo has supposedly tamed the pressure curve. However I would still not trust it in any semiauto other than the A17. Any safety factor of the ammo is more related to the A17 locking design IMO.

Curious, isn't the A17 ammo hotter than most of the other 17 HMR stuff on the market? I get tight groups with it out of my CZ but I have never shot it over the chronograph.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FWP
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

Curious, isn't the A17 ammo hotter than most of the other 17 HMR stuff on the market? I get tight groups with it out of my CZ but I have never shot it over the chronograph.

Yes its hotter. Designed to be used with the Savage A17. Not really intended to be used in a bolt gun or a 10-22 rendition. The problem with the OP's rifle is just that. A rifle problem, not ammo problem. They discontinued the 10-22 magnums for a reason.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.