Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a Tikka 17HMR that really shoots good.I kind of like the Walnut on the CZs,but have no idea how good they shoot.I would probably get the Varmint 22LR.Give me some experienced opinions.Thanks Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of the MTRs. I’m still learning it and trying out a bunch of ammo, but certainly the potential is there. Main thing is that it's a really nice rifle, and they fixed all the negatives present on the earlier models. If I didn’t already have a re-stocked 455 SS that’s a good shooter, I’d pop for a sporter 457.

I’m a big fan of 77/22s, but these are just as nice IMO, available, scaled better for rimfires, and don’r need the tweaks that the Rugers often require. Scoping is simpler too.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I will agree with what Pappy said.

I currently own a 2016 vintage CZ 452 American and late last year got a Tikka 1x and just recently a CZ 457 American to go with them. All 22LR rifles.

Bear in mind these are samples of one. The Tikka is a great rifle functionally and ergonomically but it is a butt ugly club compared to my CZ sporters (either of them). So far ,with their preferred ammo the Tikka is JUST a hair over an MOA out to 100 yards and my 452 is just under that. Both shoot damn well for 6lb sporters.

My CZ 457 American shows promise but I have only had it for a few weeks and have not wrung it out for grouping side by side with the other two rifles on a calm day. So far, the 457 has functioned flawlessly.

If grace and beauty is your thing , track down a CZ 457 American. If you want the ultimate level of accuracy ,go with the 457 Varmint MTR

Last edited by jk16; 07/17/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently bought a CZ 457 Varmint MTR. It has a match chamber. I've only done a limited amount of shooting with it, but with SK Standard Plus I got groups averaging .400 at 50 yards so it seems promising. I also have a 455 American and it shoots decently, but not as well as the MTR. I think the 457 is a definite upgrade to the 455. I've never shot a Tikka rimfire so I have no way to compare to that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Tika in hand at a local shop and the action is smooth as .........., but the stock is just a plastic ........... I did not spring for it and figured I would wait till the gun $ envelope had enough in it to buy a chasis or upgraded stock.
About a month later I walked into another good local shop and there was a pair of 457's all new and shiny. The Varmint MTR and the chasis model. The MTR felt the best and that is the one I have been horsing around with on the weekends. Its been a very good time trying the different choices of ammo and working on getting the scope set up with about 30 MOA of mount. Yesterday the wind was up so my 100yard MOA all day target was not MOA at all, but hitting 6" steel at 200 was no problem.
I see a tika or good forbid a V....... in my future,
But am very satisfied with the 457 and its layout changes from the earlier CZ rimfire actions.
22 is not centerfire in terms of accuracy past 100 yards, but it is fun as all get out and way cheaper than even hand loaded 243Win or 6mm BR unless you cast your own lead bullets.
I don't think you will regret either choice.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have and do own both, had several examples of each, from an accuracy standpoint the Tikka wins easily, while the Tikka may not be the best looking gun out there it one of the most accurate factory rifles out there, the stock is pretty good for a synthetic one and the price point

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 457 Pro Varmint and a T1X as well.

I put the 457 Pro Varmint together as a rifle to shoot NRL base class because I thought I would be able to shoot each match in both classes.

I didn't care about the scores in base class as much as just wanting to shoot more.

Later, I picked up a Tikka that a guy on the Hide had, which had some extra magazines, a Timney trigger, and a few other goodies.

I've added the vertical grip and wider forend to the Tikka.

Both rifles shoot very well. I'm not crazy about the stock on the Tikka, but with the add ons as well as a recoil pad to keep the stock from sliding around on my shoulder. I'm also not crazy about the Pro Varmint stock on the CZ. I added Victor Co. cheek riser to get a better cheek weld, as well as adding flush cups and a rail for an Atlas.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a match with either rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.