Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have previously had good luck and accuracy sufficient for my needs with .45/70 bullets tumble lubed and then gas checks seated in a Lee push thru die.

I had hoped to achieve similar results with a .348 Winchester. I intend to purchase an Accurate 35-220 D mold, however Lee doe not appear to have an appropriate push thru die listed?? In the past, Lee offered a custom die service, but this appears to no longer be the case.

Is there a simple means to seat and crimp gas checks by hand, such as a shallow tapered .350 hole in a piece of steel and just give the bullet nose a light tap? I understand this would not size the bullet body, but I have had reasonable success shooting bullets as cast before.

Looking for any options or suggestions.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have solved a couple of problems like this mostly by luck. Doing a little math with cartridge drawings from various sources, and a dial caliper, I discovered that Wilson case trimmer shell holders solved a couple of my problems. I seated my checks on the downstroke of the drill press quill, through or just partially through the Wilson holder. They are hardened and polished, self centering and do a bully job. I am not familiar with the dimensions needed for seating .348 ish checks, but I'd think you might get lucky with something like the .32-20 for example.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Modern gas checks are of the crimp on variety these days. They’re slightly flared to accept the bullet shank and this needs to be crimped on to close the flare. As an aside Lyman used to make slip on GC’s but don’t believe they make them any more.

There are some suppliers on the ‘Cast Boolits’ website that can open up a Lee push through die for you or possibly make one up from scratch. In the past I have had some RCBS/Lyman sizing dies in oddball sizes made by people on that site.

If you are not familiar with cast in a 348 I would suggest you try to avoid designs with a front drive band. Most factory jacketed pills are a two diameter design. This is because the 348 has no throat. What is sometimes detected as a slight throat is actually a slightly longer neck.

The other piece of gear you might find handy is a Lee factory crimp die. I have a couple of 348 moulds with a short front band. When crimped into the crimp groove they foul (very slightly) on the end of the chamber. Using the Lee FCD I can fine tune the crimp location to produce a shell that fits the throat with the bullet secured in place.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Try NOE Bullet Molds of Provo, Ut. They make push-though sizing dies similar to Lee......only better! Check out their site, for multiple sizing dies, they are much cheaper than Lee...once you purchase the “Push Through Sizing Die Body” is only $40, then the individual bullet sizing bushings (to be inserted into the die body) are very reasonably priced!

Give them a call tomorrow, you may be happy with their products! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/23/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
second NOE push through sizer, works great!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
NOE is the best way to go. I am slowly turning to them for all my resixing and gas check installing.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I just discovered them a few months ago, now making the total transition! It sure is nice to use the additional leverage gained by using the reloading press. And, it seems like the most affordable and practical means to size bullets.....especially powder coated bullets! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried to call NOE this week but just got the answering machine. I want to get their push through sizer. I have a lee for my 44 but I'd like the ability to get different size bushings.

I've had to size my 44s after powder coating to get them to chamber fully in some of my 44s. The Lee 310g is pretty fat in front of the top crimp groove and with powder coat it's too wide without sizing.

Bb

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Any Lyman or RCBS lube/sizer can be utilized nose first with the appropriate die to crimp the gas check on last, which is the way to go.

A trip through a .354 die won't imbalance the bullet but crimp on a .348 and certainly a .35 caliber gas check; then base first in a .349 die to finish sizing and lubing.

Any time you can seat the check on last is a good thing and NOE stuff is good and economical. I would go that route if on a budget. If your not, get a Star sizer and the appropriate items.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Currently using a stone age Lyman 450 sizer. Lube holes don't line up with the grease grooves so it's a real pain to get them done right. Ive had to resort to smearing the lube on first by hand after seating gaschecks and then size nose first

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I inherited the Lyman 450 sizer. It works but it's exceedingly slow. One of these days I'll be investigating improved sizing and gas-checked seating equipment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.