Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
I'd have no problem using a drone to find downed game.

I'll have to think about using them to spot. Not sure about that.

That's where I am. Not too sure. We have embraced a lot of technology over the years that help us better find and/or kill animals. A spotting scope is one such device. Range finders. Modern high tech scopes. GPSs. Illuminated reticles. Trail cameras. In a very basic way a spotting scope is a technological extension of the human eye. That's what a drone is.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
In a very basic way a spotting scope is a technological extension of the human eye. That's what a drone is.

That’s a hell of a leap, Paul.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
In a very basic way a spotting scope is a technological extension of the human eye. That's what a drone is.

How so? I am sitting on the porch of a condo right now. There is a hill about a mile away. I can't see the deer that feed on it with my naked eye. I can set my spotting scope up, and that allows me to see that which I could not otherwise see. If I had a drone rather than a spotting scope, and I used it to see deer I couldn't see with my naked eye, how is that different? It's simply another form of optical technology that serves as an extension of the human eye.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Line of sight vs motorized mechanical advantage with steerable optics.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Perhaps that wasn’t clear enough. Your telescope isn’t flying over the nearest mountain and looking on the backside.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Paul is one of those that is educated above his intelligence

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agree. ^

Paul,
Depending on elevation and ground cover, the human eye can’t see all the way down into a canyon while standing at the top, on the same side...You can see up from the bottom, a smidge better, but that also depends on elevation, height of trees, brush, etc, even with optics.

The same for seeing the opposite side of a hill, hogback, or ridge with glass. You can’t see the hidden space without physically moving yourself to a different vantage point.

A drone is a nimble, mechanically controlled machine that deployed, could cover areas that would require boots in the dirt or tires on a road to get to a point of seeing.

Sorry, but a drone is a far reach away from being an extension of the human eye, like a spotter...IMO

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A spotter also doesn’t sound like a swarm of bees overhead interfering with someone else’s hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove
A spotter also doesn’t sound like a swarm of bees overhead interfering with someone else’s hunt.

Deploy a drone...Bust out the gauge and call “PULL”

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Deploy a drone...Bust out the gauge and call “PULL”

😬🦫

Exactly!

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Silence is a skill a hunter tries to improve over a lifetime. A buttnugget running any kind of a motor is compromising his own integrity and the quality of other people's experience.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Silence is a skill a hunter tries to improve over a lifetime. A buttnugget running any kind of a motor is compromising his own integrity and the quality of other people's experience.

mike r

Mike I’m not sure how much the new hunters care about silence anymore. Get a rifle that shoots a thousand yards out of the box who needs to be quiet? Sad really and I blame whoever is mentoring them to hunt.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Mike I’m not sure how much the new hunters care about silence anymore. Get a rifle that shoots a thousand yards out of the box who needs to be quiet? Sad really and I blame whoever is mentoring them to hunt.

Quite is still required, no one knows for certain were game is going to show near or far

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This⬆️

Until they come up with (and they will, or its cousin) x-ray spotting scopes, game still has to be in sight to see it with ordinary optics.

Funny how some get to the point where they purposely increase the challenge of taking their game, while others never stop trying to make it easier, or surer.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Use the drone, maybe you can mount a small machine gun on it, and kill game from the front porch of your condo.Yeah, thats the ticket!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How so?

There's a big difference between an extension of the human eye and growing wings.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I'll go along with that. It would allow a better extension of human sight in some ways.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

How so?

There's a big difference between an extension of the human eye and growing wings.

A spotter is stationary device that allows a human to see things they otherwise couldn't. A drone is a mobile device that does the same thing, typically with inferior optics. So the fact that the drone is a mobile extension of the human eyesight is what would make it unethical in your mind? Fair enough.

Part of what got me thinking about this is how drones have been used in fishing. They are used to sight redfish in the marsh...no need to cast the banks of a brackish pond if the fish aren't there. A lot of people who have fishfinders on their boats think it's unethical to use a drone to find fish. Ironic? Surf fisher are even using drones to deliver baits to the outer bar.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Funny how some get to the point where they purposely increase the challenge of taking their game, while others never stop trying to make it easier, or surer.

It's interesting to see where people draw the line between embracing technology and eschewing it, and why.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can see it now. Somebody spent 20 grand on a hunt and here comes Spandex Barnyard piloting his Walmart drone overhead. Paul would be wearing his spandex up over his head and missing half his teeth after that.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.