Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Before you launch into me hear me out: Why are there no 5 3/4 lb left handed bolt guns? I know weatherby offers the backcountry TI in lefty, but they are only available in the Weatherby cartridges (which goes to the 9 lug action which takes it to 6lbs) plus it has a 26" barrel.

If Kimber would make ANY of their rifles left handed, I would buy one immediately. I have been searching for a rifle with 20-22" barrel, lefty, that weighs sub 6lbs naked in the <$1500 range. The only gun that meets that criteria so far is the savage axis lefty in 350 legend. The savage is a good rifle don't get me wrong, but there is something in me that wont let me enjoy the "bargain rifles" but so much.

I am aware that Melvin will make me a model 20 in whatever I want and meet that criteria. I just don't have the patience to wait for a year or more to get it (plus its $4000).

So I guess my question is this: Kimber, why won't you make any of your rifles left handed? Remington, make a model seven in left handed? Savage, make the 110 ultralight or the lightweight hunter in left handed?

Are their rifles out there that I have overlooked that I don't know about?

Last edited by Rlhunter0403; 07/19/21.
BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I would buy a left hand Kimber Ascent in .270W or (gasp…) 6.5 CM in a heartbeat. Hands down best factory ergonomics for me of any production rifle. They just put the bolt on the wrong side.

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's because you have to be strong to make it though life as a south paw.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
laugh laugh laugh

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by TBS
That's because you have to be strong to make it though life as a south paw.

Hahahaha so true

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
My father in law (also a member here) has had a Montana 243 and an Adirondack in 6.5CM. I would buy either of those rifles right now if they were offered in lefty (except I wouldnt get the 6.5CM)

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
IIRC Kimber used to make their short action in lefty but only in WSMs. I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 243 that is a nice, tidy little rifle. Not as light as you want but me thinks you could drop one into a synthetic stock and come pretty close.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Instead of wishing for a product from a company that doesn't care about my business, I supported a company that does and bought a left handed Tikka Superlite.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave up and built a lightweight 223ai years ago. Sub 6 pounds, Pacnor mtn contour, lefthanded 700, Bansner sheep hunter, flip flop pad. Hard finding Rem lefthand actions so would probably punt and go Defiance Anti these days. Think those are a year out too. Easy button would be Tikka though I don't care for them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's some ideas to lighten some ounces from a Tikka.

Thread on Rokslide

Milling receiver

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tikka is a good alternative and DryPowder gave some good links for taking weight off. To my knowledge, since Kimber moved from Oregon to NY there have been no LH rifles made. I asked Kimber if there was a LH rifle in their future and was laughed at. They told me there will never be a LH rifle made by Kimber.

I have a meager collection of LH Kimber of Oregon rifles and am pretty smitten with them.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Savage is supposed to be coming g out with the 110 Ultralite in left hand. There’s a thread in here about it. I think originally it was supposed to come out this summer, then got pushed to fall, and I think the latest is 2022. Hopefully this will co a to fruition at SHOT 2022. I don’t think I’ve heard of many, if any negative reviews on these firearms. I plan on rewarding Savage with their willingness to support lefties and picking one up.

This is just me thinking (hoping) out loud, but if they end up making the Ultralite action in left hand, maybe they will also make the 110 Lightweight Storm too.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Loper
Savage is supposed to be coming g out with the 110 Ultralite in left hand. There’s a thread in here about it. I think originally it was supposed to come out this summer, then got pushed to fall, and I think the latest is 2022. Hopefully this will co a to fruition at SHOT 2022. I don’t think I’ve heard of many, if any negative reviews on these firearms. I plan on rewarding Savage with their willingness to support lefties and picking one up.

This is just me thinking (hoping) out loud, but if they end up making the Ultralite action in left hand, maybe they will also make the 110 Lightweight Storm too.

I have been following that thread but my guts tells me that it might be a pipe dream. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will come out as they say. My other hope is that they will offer them in the same cartridge selections as the right handed version

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403

I have been following that thread but my guts tells me that it might be a pipe dream. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will come out as they say. My other hope is that they will offer them in the same cartridge selections as the right handed version

Yeah, your gut might be right, but I hope it’s not. I’m not counting on it showing up in LH but if it does, I’m with you and hope it is in all the calibers offered in RH.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Tikka is a good alternative and DryPowder gave some good links for taking weight off. To my knowledge, since Kimber moved from Oregon to NY there have been no LH rifles made. I asked Kimber if there was a LH rifle in their future and was laughed at. They told me there will never be a LH rifle made by Kimber.

I have a meager collection of LH Kimber of Oregon rifles and am pretty smitten with them.

If you get a chance post a couple of pictures of your lefty collection.

Hal

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cooper Backcountry. 5.75#
4 currently in stock on Gunbroker.

I tried to talk myself into the one in 280 AI, but couldn't. I don't really have need to save weight and gain the negatives that go along with that.
So, I went total opposite and got an Open Country Long Range in the same caliber.

Around double the price range you mentioned, I know.

Last edited by KenMi; 07/25/21.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

I held a 110 ultralight today at cabelas (righty obviously). If they make that rifle in lefty it will be amazing. I am not usually a savage guy but that is one sharp looking rifle. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that they will offer that rifle in lefty

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You're gonna take a beating for that comment about not loving a Tikka. But I am in the same boat. I had a T3 original years ago in 270 WSM. Just never warmed up to it. Just a year n half ago I HAD to have the Sportsman's Warehouse exclusive SuperLite in 7mm Rem Mag. It's OK....but I never reach for it and seldom every even consider it. I JUST CAN"T warm up to them.

Have a 308 with a Rem Mtn Contour take off in 308 also in a Bansner Sheep Hunter. It has been more than a few places although it's only fair at best on accuracy. Just works.

I have on order....a Ridgeline in 300 PRC. I've never seen brass for it, nor dies. I'll be hosed IF Christensen ever comes through and actually delivers the rifle. I think they make the Ridgeline in a 20" Creed. Mesa as well. Both check all your boxes I believe.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 07/27/21.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
Before you launch into me hear me out: Why are there no 5 3/4 lb left handed bolt guns? I know weatherby offers the backcountry TI in lefty, but they are only available in the Weatherby cartridges (which goes to the 9 lug action which takes it to 6lbs) plus it has a 26" barrel.

If Kimber would make ANY of their rifles left handed, I would buy one immediately. I have been searching for a rifle with 20-22" barrel, lefty, that weighs sub 6lbs naked in the <$1500 range. The only gun that meets that criteria so far is the savage axis lefty in 350 legend. The savage is a good rifle don't get me wrong, but there is something in me that wont let me enjoy the "bargain rifles" but so much.

I am aware that Melvin will make me a model 20 in whatever I want and meet that criteria. I just don't have the patience to wait for a year or more to get it (plus its $4000).

So I guess my question is this: Kimber, why won't you make any of your rifles left handed? Remington, make a model seven in left handed? Savage, make the 110 ultralight or the lightweight hunter in left handed?

Are their rifles out there that I have overlooked that I don't know about?

Seems like you're looking right over the Tikkas, you might be surprised.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s simple economics. Most are content to let that 7% market share slide. I can’t recall ever seeing a LH rifle on the shelf either, only the internet.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.