The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
not many of these hero's left. I went to Bastogne. Got chills walking around. Every road leading in to town had a turret off a Sherman.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for sharing this. My grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge and talks about Bastogne quite often. He ended up losing an arm in the battle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was fascinating..... Thanks for posting. I wish there were more of those oral history things around. Even if they are not on video and just on audio tapes. I regret not sitting down with my late father and a couple uncles with a tape recorder. I always liked my dad's description of what the English Channel looked like at first light on D-Day,; he was a 19 year old kid aboard a light cruiser. Or the 20-21 year old German American kid ( I met him in his later years) that was a ball turret gunner on a B-17. In the middle of a firefight he suddenly wondered if he was related to any of those German guys shooting at him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a great story, thanks for posting.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story. My Dad was there, too. Loved the area and went back about 15 years ago before he passed.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great story, thanks for posting

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
That is absolutely awesome. What a guy 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The guy had a hard time at certain points, I can understand, I wouldn't want to relive that either.

God Bless the Great Warrior.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Great story. I had a great uncle who told me about the Calvados in Normandy and how they wanted to get it fast so they shot a hole in the barrel and put a bucket underneath. He also told me how they were in Pilsen when the war ended and captured a warehouse full of schnapps, wine, beer, etc. "We had a good time in Pilsen Czechoslovakia"!

He was in the Battle of the Bulge, told me the tail of his coat got shot up. He wouldn't say much about that sort of stuff. His medical training saved his life his first day back in the coal mines.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
God Bless Him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad was Army in the Japanese islands for the full war. He enlisted in November 41. He didnt talk about it much and I wish I had asked him more about it. His parents and one older brother were from Italy and he had 2 first cousins in the Italian army one of which was a US citizen, he was born and grew up with in the USA but had gone back to Italy with his father and while there was forced into the army, he survived but the other cousin didnt. Not sure how my dad would have tuned out if he had been sent to Italy to fight. He definitely had no love for the Japs though.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
one of my wife's uncles was there with the 101st Airborne. A second was with Patton's relief troops. Evidently the one was leaving on the same road as his brother who was coming in. Neither saw each other, or even knew that they had a brother involved until weeks later. Both survived and lived long fruitful lives.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My neighbor fought in WWII, still kicking in his late 90s, Walter Kuralt. Charles Kuralt was his cousin.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In memory
Bob Malcolm 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division.
Ray Bunn Patton’s 3rd Army 7th Armor
Frank Grosky 5th Army 91st Mtn Division
Richard Bruce Watkins 1st Marine Division

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?16114-With-the-1st-Marine-Division-on-Peleliu

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story, esp that he finds out about what happened after with the Airborne Beer.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
AZmark, Leonoro's Italian restaurant in Charleston, WV has some of the same history. The second generation owner, Frank, was born in Cabin Creek, WV. His dad was a coal miner. When the company and union got to fighting his dad took them back to Italy. When the war started, Frank, came back to WV. Since he was a citizen, Frank was drafted. He no speaka the English then. Frank was sent to the Aleutians and kept there until the war ended. Frank told me it was cold and his nose was froze and his toes were froze but there were Italians that were cooks and they got him assigned in the kitchen with them. Frank had family that fought in the Italian army during the war. Frank's sons and grand children run the business.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My mother in law was a pbx operator in Headquarters, 8th and 9th Army Air Corp when it was moved from Bushy Park, England to St. Germaine, France about a month after D-Day. She said when intelligence got wind of all the German movements, they started issuing rifles to every one, including the cooks and the clerks. She told them she was from Texas and could shoot a rifle if they'd give her one, but USSTAF flew her and the other women in the outfit back to England until the Bulge was over, them flew them back into France. I asked her if she ever saw any of those famous generals like Gen. Spaatz and she said she knew and talked to them every day. Asked her what her clearance was and she said " It was a little above Top Secret ". She was kind of tight lipped about her service, as she never told my wife or her son very much about what she did over there. I, fortunately, managed to get her talking about her experiences after a while.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Talked to my 27 yr old son about this...

ya know the thought hit me. many guys on the campfire are my age range... I'm 69 now...

Back in the 50s and 60s growing up, it seemed like every male adult we knew were WW 2 vets,
our uncles, dads, friends you played with their dads and uncles were all WW 2 vets also..
if not WW2, then they were Korean War vets....
many of our granddads and their brothers were all WW 1 vets...

as kids we took that for granted, and never thought nothing of it..

many of them are now gone, and the few left were vets due to Korea, and they also are fading fast...
The one's taking their places, of being veterans in the twilights of their lives are now Vietnam Vets.
My step dad is now 90, he spent 49 months in Vietnam flying CIA missions, as part of the Black Birds, unmarked C 130s

now among us are plenty of Veterans of the Middle East conflicts...doesn't take long, they will be the Veterans among us who will be
growing old and starting to pass into the twilight of their lives...

While they are still around us... GodBless the men, who were there during our nation's hour of need, who put their lives on the line for
those who don't even give them a thought in their daily lives... and even the women who have served in WW 2, Korea, Vietnam and now
in the Middle East... hear their stories while you can, and before their service becomes " no big deal"... it is a big deal, to each of us who
hold them and their service dear.....

as a corpsman in a military hospital just post Vietnam, I have patents who have served as far back as the Spanish American War, "Chased Ponco Via from one end of Mexico to the other", WW1, WW2, Korea and Vietnam Talked to thousands of these guys while serving them and their medical needs during my time in the military. I feel so fortunate for that, because 95% of these guys are no longer with us.. I am blessed for being able to hear their stories and lies ( God Bless em) from their own mouths. I never served in combat, but my time I served, I was blessed beyond belief for being able to hear their stories,
told by older men, from their times of service in their youth. I thank God for that .

Dave, thanks for posting the video....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow.......incredible video

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.