Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
People wouldn't bring so much carry on luggage if the airlines would have competent baggage service. Who wants to stand around for 45 minutes in some dirty airport after an hour flight?

Watch the handlers load planes. Anything that even remotely appears to be hobby/fun type equipment gets bashed on purpose. Skis and golf-clubs being the easiest to ID from a distance through a window.

2002 when you could still pack and check stuff in card board boxes, my partner and I went on a mission trip to El Salvador. We took sufficient components to set up 10 desk top computers in a lab at the seminary. Every thing wired up and confirmed before being packed in OEM boxes with extra padding added.

Long story short, once we got sorted out in El Salvador, we had enough workable parts for three complete systems. 70% attrition rate due to luggage handlers.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
From about 1969 until 1993, I flew about 3 months out of every year, every Sunday or Monday and every Friday between Colorado Springs and Las Vegas , Denver and Las Vegas, or Albuquerque and Las with the rest of the year an occasional flights to DC,San Francisco,Seattle, London or Paris. I retired in 2003, and except for two to Pittsburgh and one to Ft. Lauderdale and returns I have not been on a plane since.If I can't drive,I don't go

My goodness!! I’m sure we were on the same flights several times! I also lived in Colorado Springs, retired in 2005.

My travels started in 1972, similar hectic schedules and destinations. Did you ever run into a Dr. Morgenthayer (phonetic spelling) on your trips? Not me but the most prolific traveler ever ... puts us to shame. He was research director for Martin Marietta. Knew half the people on each flight

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No prayer meetings @ 30,000ft. ?

Guess not.

HC would have surely weighed in by now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by lightman
People wouldn't bring so much carry on luggage if the airlines would have competent baggage service. Who wants to stand around for 45 minutes in some dirty airport after an hour flight?

Watch the handlers load planes. Anything that even remotely appears to be hobby/fun type equipment gets bashed on purpose. Skis and golf-clubs being the easiest to ID from a distance through a window.

Rifle cases rate pretty high too!

One of the boys went to visit his brother in Miami a few months ago and wanted to fish while there,so I gave him my fly rod tube so he could bring 1 of his rods.
From Roch,NY to Miami the end cap was broken.1 load/unload.They had to bounce it on the end to break it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Dumdum
From about 1969 until 1993, I flew about 3 months out of every year, every Sunday or Monday and every Friday between Colorado Springs and Las Vegas , Denver and Las Vegas, or Albuquerque and Las with the rest of the year an occasional flights to DC,San Francisco,Seattle, London or Paris. I retired in 2003, and except for two to Pittsburgh and one to Ft. Lauderdale and returns I have not been on a plane since.If I can't drive,I don't go

My goodness!! I’m sure we were on the same flights several times! I also lived in Colorado Springs, retired in 2005.

My travels started in 1972, similar hectic schedules and destinations. Did you ever run into a Dr. Morgenthayer (phonetic spelling) on your trips? Not me but the most prolific traveler ever ... puts us to shame. He was research director for Martin Marietta. Knew half the people on each flight

If Martin Marietta had experiments on Underground Nuclear test . I probably ran into him.Usual flights were Sunday afternoon and Friday morning return.While in Albuquerque we flew charted with Ross Aviation. Early on it was a F27 Fairchild. Sometimes all the way to Desert Rock airstrip at Mercury Nevada.Then Southwest Air lines was charted for a few years.
I worked for Kaman Sciences, bought out by ITT in 1999.
A lot of Times when flights were not available from COS to LV,we flew little turbo props to Denver and left from there. Those summer monsoons sure bounced us around.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/20/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Wife is flying to Vegas today.

Her recent travels have convinced her sho isn't nearly as interested in a vacation as she once was. The hordes of people and the incompetence of the airlines combined with everything else has made it miserable. I drive just about everywhere I go with few exceptions any more.

I have always disliked being on someone else's schedule. Now with the lack of self-awareness amongst people and crappy behavior, I can do without.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thought to get down to America these days without getting on an Al tube.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm always amazed how the herd needs to stand up the instant the wheels stop turning. And how they have to have the BIGGEST carryon, which they are too weak to handle safely. Oh, and turn on the PHONE! JFC.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

If Martin Marietta had experiments on Underground Nuclear test . I probably ran into him.Usual flights were Sunday afternoon and Friday morning return.While in Albuquerque we flew charted with Ross Aviation. Early on it was a F27 Fairchild. Sometimes all the way to Desert Rock airstrip at Mercury Nevada.Then Southwest Air lines was charted for a few years.
I worked for Kaman Sciences, bought out by ITT in 1999.
A lot of Times when flights were not available from COS to LV,we flew little turbo props to Denver and left from there. Those summer monsoons sure bounced us around.

Ah! I knew a couple people there! Al Bridges, Don Stribling (later at Science Applications), Don Bryce, Randy Wolff, a couple others that went to Mitre Corp. Kaman also made a good neutron generator didn’t they? Oh yeah, just remembered a couple more ... Dean Jewell and Herb Hollister who was involved with the Nevada testing you referred too.

Last edited by Dumdum; 07/20/21. Reason: A few more
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
51 and never flew.

Read this, hear the goings on on the news, hear of friends experiences,
And really never want to fly.
Don't like people, hate crowds, hate being crowded, don't like being cramped.
A tour bus gets my knee to hurting in an hour or two. Same with stadium seating.

Guys at work love to fly. Good for them.
My wife does too, hope to never let her convince me to try it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'm always amazed how the herd needs to stand up the instant the wheels stop turning. And how they have to have the BIGGEST carryon, which they are too weak to handle safely. Oh, and turn on the PHONE! JFC.

If I'm sitting by the aisle, I'll stand up when we stop just so the numbnuts that stand in the aisle don't keep beating me with all the crap they've got in their hands. Otherwise, I stay put.

Your carry on comment is spot on. It's always the tiniest, oldest women that seem to have the heaviest bags. There is no way for them to lift it, so they look around and look helpless (which they are) until someone volunteers to help them. Even worse, is if they are traveling with their elderly husband and he insists on trying to lift the thing into the overhead. I'm always amazed that more of them don't end up crushed underneath the behemoth bags they carry.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wouldn't voluntarily fly anywhere today.

The whole industry has been a goat fugk for years and COVIDIOTS managed to make it worse.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Ah! I knew a couple people there! Al Bridges, Don Stribling (later at Science Applications), Don Bryce, Randy Wolff, a couple others that went to Mitre Corp. Kaman also made a good neutron generator didn’t they? Oh yeah, just remembered a couple more ... Dean Jewell and Herb Hollister who was involved with the Nevada testing you referred too.

I worked directly for Herb Hollister when I hired on. Later days, Don Bryce.Things went to pot when ITT took over

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/20/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just think

One notch above Andre’3000 and Big-Boi the baggage handlers

the ground crew and maintenance personnel, 😃

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by benchman
I'm still stuck on a lady in her 50's described as "old"...

I'm 72 - and I said- mentally. She was gone.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Haven't been on a plane in 20 years and have no intention of ever doing it again.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Alaska Aiirines has a 20 minute guarantee. Mostly they make it.

I own stock....:)

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Hey now- I worked ramp for 4 years.... 2010-2014, Kotzebue AK. I took good care of rifle cases.

The rest were throw toys in the hold.... a matter of expediency.

Plan accordingly. smile

TSA took my hand-balm this trip out of my check-on.. Devils club and hemp oil. 'Spossed to help for a couple fingers with arthritis/tendinitus- only had it for 2 days, so who knows? $40 for a tin about a half-size of a snuff container. Bastids!

Last edited by las; 07/21/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

On a flight out of India the woman next to me didn't know to use the seatbelt. Then she used the restroom and couldn't figure out how to open the door to get out. I was thinking she must of spent her whole life living in a shack.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las

Hey now- I worked ramp for 4 years.... 2010-2014, Kotzebue AK. I took good care of rifle cases.

The rest were throw toys in the hold.... a matter of expediency.

Plan accordingly. smile

TSA took my hand-balm this trip out of my check-on.. Devils club and hemp oil. 'Spossed to help for a couple fingers with arthritis/tendinitus- only had it for 2 days, so who knows? $40 for a tin about a half-size of a snuff container. Bastids!

We’re them bastards arthritic? They ‘splain why?

Last edited by ironbender; 07/21/21. Reason: Fat fingers

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.