-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought some land in Goodhue county MN last month for 4k/acre, wooded recreation land. Neighbors thought I was crazy, but in the same township last week there were two, 2 acre building sites that sold for 60k each.

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Land prices like everything else cycle up and down depending upon commodity prices, input costs, interest rates, and external pressures like housing sites.

Long ago, my parents bought a lot of prime farmland for $5 per acre. Lightning killed a bunch of their livestock they were planning to sell so they had to sell the land as they couldn't make the payments. A few years later, they bought it back for $10 per acre. Would likely now sell for somewhere in the $15,000 per acre range. But... I know a bunch of farmers who went broke buying expensive land during the Carter years when interest rates went crazy and he imposed grain embargoes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$5/acre?

Where?

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Land lust at an all time high in NW Iowa, 96 acres farmland in Plymouth county went for $25,000/acre.
Where will it end?

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Land lust at an all time high in NW Iowa, 96 acres farmland in Plymouth county went for $25,000/acre.
Where will it end?
I think I'm kind of prices a real farm is just going to pay interest rate instead of rent and still be in debt to the land when they purchaser is dead

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hmmm, might be time to sell 100acs I have in Maine....

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard some people speculating that the lending institutions in my area are going to start to tighten up on loaning money on this high dollar land............but, I've not seen any evidence of that, yet. As I've written about before, the Mennonites and Amish are responsible for the high prices here, especially the Mennonites. They buy anything and everything that comes up for sale, and don't seem to mind paying whatever it takes to buy it. With their population growing, they must have a place to live or else move elsewhere, so price is whatever they are willing to pay.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've heard some people speculating that the lending institutions in my area are going to start to tighten up on loaning money on this high dollar land............but, I've not seen any evidence of that, yet. As I've written about before, the Mennonites and Amish are responsible for the high prices here, especially the Mennonites. They buy anything and everything that comes up for sale, and don't seem to mind paying whatever it takes to buy it. With their population growing, they must have a place to live or else move elsewhere, so price is whatever they are willing to pay.

Sounds like they are setting the market there.

Two things...

1) Are they paying cash, or financing?

2) With inflated land sales like that, higher tax values will follow the comps. They aren't doing their neighbors any favors at the tax office. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Sounds like they are setting the market there.

Two things...

1) Are they paying cash, or financing?

2) With inflated land sales like that, higher tax values will follow the comps. They aren't doing their neighbors any favors at the tax office. frown

Barry, some of them sold land back in Pennsylvania for some very good prices, and that has allowed them to come here and buy more land than they had back where they came from. They were the lucky ones, as they didn't have to go in debt to buy land. But, not all of them fit into that category. A lot of them have to finance what they've bought, and from what I've been told, quite a few are just paying the interest and nothing on the principal. But, they are usually considered good risks by the people who loan them money, as it's rare to see any of them being repossessed.

As far as tax values go, we are very lucky here in Kentucky because farmland is both evaluated and taxed at a much lower rate than is other property. But, they have driven property values up dramatically, and it's probably just a matter of time before our taxes will be adjusted for that. The one thing that's in our favor is that a lot of the elected officials that make the laws here come from rural areas and they don't like paying taxes anymore than I do.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is no way to pay cash for land or finance it that it will pay back the money invested in it or make the principal and interest payments if it was financed, let alone make living from it.

If one has money to pay cash for the land, he/she can make lot more money investing in other things.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/06/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good farmland is a solid investment.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There is no way to pay cash for land or finance it that it will pay back the money invested in it or make the principal and interest payments if it was financed, let alone make living from it.

If one has money to pay cash for the land, he/she can make lot more money investing in other things.

I disagree.

Land values have increased beyond all expectations. Certainly better than lots of other investments.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They ain't making anymore dirt. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have not found this to be the case in my buy and sell land transactions.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good farmland is a solid investment.

I agree, but real estate with both cropland and timber is an even better investment.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Iowa ground went up 23% last year. Good luck on paying it off in the future

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Just had a 117 acre parcel a few miles from my place sell for $2.6 mil.

Sure is a far cry from $1-2k an acre locally 15-20 years ago.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I buy and sell a fair amount of land here in SC. The prices have doubled to quadrupled in the last 18 months. We have seen this show before...

You better have your hand on a chair when the music stops...

And some cash to buy at the fire sale.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 06/08/22.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How many dollars will an acre of soybeans or corn on land like that net after input costs, assuming current crop prices?

Last edited by thirdbite; 06/08/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I agree with this, in most cases. I bought 640 acres in 2010. It’s appreciated quite a bit but I’d have been better off in other investments. I have been fortunate in that two oil pipelines were run across my land and they paid good money. And I’ve made CRP income. I do not regret the purchase and am trying to buy an adjoining 320 acres.
I view this land as a long term “hard asset” investment as opposed to “paper” investments.

Last edited by dale06; 06/09/22.

NRA Patron
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.