Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Has anybody had any experience with these phones? Supposedly an uncensorable alternative to Apple and Google based smart phones. $500.00. My old I-phone 6 (I think) is starting act a little strangely and I'm starting to anticipate having to replace it.

https://freedomphone.com/

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just saw the ads for this just a few days ago.

I haven't formed an opinion as yet.I'll seek the advice of a friend who is a cyber geek.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to see an unlocked smart phone running on something like Linux that doesn't go through Apple or Google services. All I need is calls, texts, email and Internet.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
If any of you guys hear or experience anything definitive, please let me know. I'd rather not patronize big tech any more than I have to.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I would like to see an unlocked smart phone running on something like Linux that doesn't go through Apple or Google services. All I need is calls, texts, email and Internet.

Being developed right now. Few years away yet.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Middle son just got a new phone. A google pixal for the superb camera. He then sent it away to have it de googled. Nothing left on it with their crap.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by papat
Middle son just got a new phone. A google pixal for the superb camera. He then sent it away to have it de googled. Nothing left on it with their crap.

Where'd he send it? Is that something that can be done locally?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Daily Beast noticed the Freedom Phone looks strikingly similar to a budget smartphone from a Chinese vendor called Umidigi. The device is called the Umidigi A9 pro, and you can buy it on the Chinese e-commerce site AliExpress starting at $119 or on Amazon for $179

Finman later told The Daily Beast that the Freedom Phone was indeed sourced from Umidigi, a company that’s based in Shenzhen, China.

It runs a customized version of Android which they call FreedomOS but is a freeware OS called LineageOS and the app store seems to be a rebadged Aurora Store.

So its a $120 Chinese phone with freeware that has been renamed, some custom apps loaded on it and then sold for $499. It is closely tied to Google and what makes its "free" from Google is that its configured in a way that Google cannot do updates to the OS to fix bugs. I would guess that the FreedomOS will get updates when LineageOS has updates.

That doesn't make it a bad phone, but I would differently consider other options.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/21/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for that info, KFWA. Looks like I'm going to be dealing with an undesirable vendor any way I turn. Perhaps papat's son's approach is as good as any.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

He sent it to a guy in California. Get ahold of him thru Brax.me. He is also on youtube. Search for Brax. Son said it cost around $120. If it be worth it to you it is a way to go.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't be buying a new phone until 5G is pretty standard everywhere and prices in the $500 range.

I think that should be the end of next year.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

He sent it to a guy in California. Get ahold of him thru Brax.me. He is also on youtube. Search for Brax. Son said it cost around $120. If it be worth it to you it is a way to go.

Thank you for sharing this.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
KFWA is THE man! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Awesome.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I’m sure China would never put in anything to track or listen to you..LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's probably android, and it's not the phone but the applications we use that are the security issue. It looks like a interesting start once someone verifies what's actually on it.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ERK
I’m sure China would never put in anything to track or listen to you..LOL

Or the FBI…

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Which is a bigger threat?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The feds recently ran a sting using “secure” phones sold by a false front company.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.