Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife and I have talked about one for some time. After a recent outage we decided to make the next step and get a quote. I had a rough idea what it would cost; however, my wife is a little hesitant now.

Here's my question, Does 4500 seem high for the installation portion? There isn't any digging etc involved.

While searching the forums here, I came across this
http://www.generlink.com/

At the very least I want something to plug a generator into to power parts of my house in the event of an outage.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Get a quality (Miller or Lincoln) gas or diesel powered welder. Then you can do something besides just look at it between power outages. A trailer for it and a hookup to plug the house into it when necessary should be far south if $4500.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cra1948
Get a quality (Miller or Lincoln) gas or diesel powered welder. Then you can do something besides just look at it between power outages. A trailer for it and a hookup to plug the house into it when necessary should be far south if $4500.

That's what I have now. I'll be getting a 27Kw PTO generator to run with my tractor as soon as they are in stock again.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
My wife and I have talked about one for some time. After a recent outage we decided to make the next step and get a quote. I had a rough idea what it would cost; however, my wife is a little hesitant now.

Here's my question, Does 4500 seem high for the installation portion? There isn't any digging etc involved.

At the very least I want something to plug a generator into to power parts of my house in the event of an outage.
If that's what the cost is without the generator itself and "just" for a setup to plug a backup genset into, then yes, it sounds high. Then again, these aren't normal times.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wanted to get a PTO generator, my wife hit the ceiling. "what if it doesn't run", meaning the tractor. Geez, nothing is foolproof!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a natural gas powered generac 22 kw installed just before Xmas. Ran 60+ hours. During our famous freeze.
Was not expecting to use it in winter. Thought it would only be used during storm outages.
BIL has a large gasoline powered generator. But when the power is out it’s usually out at the filling stations also.
Better have a lot of gas cans or diesel. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I wanted to get a PTO generator, my wife hit the ceiling. "what if it doesn't run", meaning the tractor. Geez, nothing is foolproof!

I have
Lincoln Vantage 400 Diesel 17K 3ph 100% duty cycle 11.5 K 1ph 100% duty cycle
Polaris 12K gas Generator
Predator 8750K gas Generator
Ryobi 2K Generator
Lincoln Weldnpower gas with a 6K 1ph 100% duty cycle
and I just pot together a (8) 12v 200amp lithium battery system with a 4400 watt (2) poles of 120v 30amp & (1) pole 220v 30amp.
Magnum Energy Inverter system.

I can power an entire city block with what I have.
And my girl still says that we need to get back ups for power when we go to Arizona to work our property there.

Womens are never happy or satisfied with what you got when they get a bit paranoid.
What can ya do?????

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

If that's what the cost is without the generator itself and "just" for a setup to plug a backup genset into, then yes, it sounds high. Then again, these aren't normal times.

Around every corner prices seem out of hand. Just can never decide if it's me thinking that or the reality. It was just installation cost. I knew what the unit was going to cost. But mentally the installation came out twice as much as I thought the high end would be.

Originally Posted by funshooter

Womens are never happy or satisfied with what you got when they get a bit paranoid.
What can ya do?????

My wife gets paranoid, then sees the price tag to get prepared and suddenly isn't so paranoid 😆.

At the least I'll get my house set up to plug in a portable generator. Anyone ever do that themselves? Or just better to hire someone? Then again those dang installation costs might be high.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you decide to get, get one that is at least duel fuel, our Firman can run on gas or propane and we always have plenty of both on hand, no more power outages for us.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Depends on what you want to power with your generator. If you're looking into a whole house transfer switch then it could get expensive. If you're just looking to power a small number of appliances then you could get by with a $400 generator and some extension cords. A big question to ask is if you plan to run your central AC, electric stove, electric heat, and electric water heater. If not then you can get by with small amount of money.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Aside from all the alternatives for power, I think a $4500 install is generally out of bounds for an install.

If the gen is on the opposite end of the house from he panel. or the gen is so big that it can power everything in your house, 4500 bucks is too high.

But what does that price include, & how many amps is it?

Then again, your looking at UT. cost & my values are Ky. cost. Likely different economies.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Around every corner prices seem out of hand. Just can never decide if it's me thinking that or the reality. It was just installation cost. I knew what the unit was going to cost. But mentally the installation came out twice as much as I thought the high end would be.

What can ya do?????

My wife gets paranoid, then sees the price tag to get prepared and suddenly isn't so paranoid 😆.

At the least I'll get my house set up to plug in a portable generator. Anyone ever do that themselves? Or just better to hire someone? Then again those dang installation costs might be high.

I have a 5kw gasoline generator.

I installed a #8 awg 220volt weatherproof drop cord at my incoming power outside box. I tied it into a 60 amp 220volt breaker.

**You have to have a procedure to do the following **.

When the power fails and if for a suspected long term:

1. Open the Main incoming breaker from the utility power and tape over the toggles.
2. Open the 220 breaker that the gen set will back feed power into for your home.
3. Open the 220 volts breakers that feed your aircon, electric heat, oven and stove (the big users).
4. Start your gen set and allow it to warm up.
5. Close the 220 volt breaker that the gen set feeds to.

You should have plenty enough power to run lights, fridge and freezers, ceiling fans, tv, etc. (110 volts users).

To refuel the gen set:
Open the 220 volts breaker that it feeds, stop the gen set, refuel, check oil, restart and close the 220volt breaker that the gen set feeds.

When main utility power is reestablished:
1. **Stop the gen set and unplug it from the cord that feeds the 220volt breaker**. Secure the weatherproof cover over the drop cord.
2. Remove the tape from the incoming main breaker and close the breaker restoring utility power to the home.
3. Close all remaining breakers that were opened.

Others here may have more advice concerning using portable gen sets.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

What can ya do?????

I installed a #8 awg 220volt weatherproof drop cord at my incoming power outside box. I tied it into a 60 amp 220volt breaker.

1. Open the Main incoming breaker from the utility power and tape over the toggles.
2. Open the 220 breaker that the gen set will back feed power into for your home.
3. Open the 220 volts breakers that feed your aircon, electric heat, oven and stove (the big users).

You should have plenty enough power to run lights, fridge and freezers, ceiling fans, tv, etc. (110 volts users).

To refuel the gen set:
Open the 220 volts breaker that it feeds, stop the gen set, refuel, check oil, restart and close the 220volt breaker that the gen set feeds.

1. **Stop the gen set and unplug it from the cord that feeds the 220volt breaker**. Secure the weatherproof cover over the drop cord.
2. Remove the tape from the incoming main breaker and close the breaker restoring utility power to the home.

Not legal in most jurisdictions... you have to have an UL approved mechanical device that blocks the incoming main anytime the secondary power is turned on so there is no way to defeat the switching and back feed from your generator. Tape isn't considered a mechanical block in this case...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

They only cost $650 to $800 depending on what options you choose. Buy direct from Generlink or from your power company. Took a few months to arrive. They didn't charge my card till it shipped. It was installed by the power company for $100. It's a great setup. Power whatever you choose by flipping breakers on. Uses a 220v 30A L-14 connection to the generator. Options include surge protection and Bluetooth cell phone connection to let you know when the power comes back on. Includes a cord.

God Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of my older neighbors, he just had a 23kw Generac, transfer switch, concrete pad, buried propane line, etc.
(Already had propane tank for gas logs)

Counting his install, whole thing was $9,000

He’s in his 70s just had his knees replaced so he is/was in no shape to DIY or bargain.

I thought it was high

-because:
Me and him both were pricing 18-20 kw units about 4 years ago installed by our local natural gas utility for $5500-6000.

His $9,000 guy was a private outfit as our utility no longer offers the generator packages.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have experience with one of the Generac systems?

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sheister

What can ya do?????

To refuel the gen set:

Not legal in most jurisdictions... you have to have an UL approved mechanical device that blocks the incoming main anytime the secondary power is turned on so there is no way to defeat the switching and back feed from your generator. Tape isn't considered a mechanical block in this case...

They sell those mechanical devices.

It’s not like it’s hard to tape the main breaker and then install a lock on the box.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
One of my older neighbors, he just had a 23kw Generac, transfer switch, concrete pad, buried propane line, etc.

He’s in his 70s just had his knees replaced so he is/was in no shape to DIY or bargain.

I thought it was high

-because:
Me and him both were pricing 18-20 kw units about 4 years ago installed by our local natural gas utility for $5500-6000.

His $9,000 guy was a private outfit as our utility no longer offers the generator packages.

9k$ For that size gen set with complete, turn key installation sounds about right for our area.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I thought it was high

-because:

9k$ For that size gen set with complete, turn key installation sounds about right for our area.

My old friend had to wait about 6 months for his turn at getting his install executed. The little company doing it is blown the fugg away with business and can charge a bit more, demand is so high.
Makes sense too after Texas this winter. The grid is not as dependable and underbuilt.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I thought it was high

-because:

My old friend had to wait about 6 months for his turn at getting his install executed. The little company doing it is blown the fugg away with business and can charge a bit more, demand is so high.
Makes sense too after Texas this winter. The grid is not as dependable and underbuilt.

6-8 month waiting list here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
203 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.