Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Republican U.S. Sen. James Lankford would seem to have all the conservative credentials he’d need to coast to reelection in deep-red Oklahoma.

A devout Baptist, Lankford was the director of the nation’s largest Christian youth camp for more than a decade. He speaks out regularly against abortion and what he describes as excessive government spending. And his voting record in the Senate aligned with former President Donald Trump’s position nearly 90% of the time.

But like several other seemingly safe GOP incumbents, Lankford, who didn’t even draw a primary opponent in 2016, finds himself under fierce attack by a challenger in his own party. The antagonist is a 29-year-old evangelical minister and political newcomer who managed to draw more than 2,000 people to a “Freedom Rally” headlined by Trump’s former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, at which Lankford was accused of being not conservative enough.

“When James (Lankford) certified the big lie, he joined the big lie,” Jackson Lahmeyer told the raucous crowd in Norman, citing Lankford’s failure to endorse Trump’s false claims about the election outcome. “The 2020 presidential election — that was a stolen election and we will never, ever allow it to happen again.” The state’s GOP chairman, John Bennett, has already endorsed Lahmeyer in the race.

Similar scenes are playing out in other red states where ultra right-wing challengers are tapping into anger among Republicans over Trump’s election loss and coronavirus-related lockdowns. Some incumbents suddenly are scrambling to defend their right flank, heating up their own rhetoric on social media and ripping into President Joe Biden at every opportunity.

In Texas, GOP Gov. Greg Abbott, who faces a contested reelection primary next year, is pushing looser gun laws than he ever previously embraced and proposing unprecedented state actions, including promises to build more walls on the Mexican border.

“I think it’s unquestionably attributable to the aftermath of the 2020 election and the insurrection and former President Trump’s claims of voter fraud,” said Alan Abramowitz, a political science professor at Emory University in Atlanta.

Some conservative incumbents are obvious targets for right-wing challenges — notably U.S. Reps. Liz Cheney in Wyoming and Anthony Gonzalez in Ohio, who voted to impeach Trump. Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp’s offense was refusing to block Georgia’s electoral votes from being awarded to Biden.

But with the 2022 election cycle approaching, the backlash is also touching even those who backed Trump consistently through countless controversies. Texas’ Abbott echoed Trump’s partisan positions and has banked $55 million in campaign funds, more than any sitting governor in history.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-bide...on-2020-4f3eaae4604492fea044435f8d8351ea

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gov. Abbott is a filthy sonofabitch and I'll post the dirt on that bastard later today that will shock everybody on 24hourcampfire.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No matter what they say, it all comes down to who counts the votes.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358WCF

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yup, all of this is political and campaign theater.

Without nation wide election reform, candidates will co tinge to be “selected” and Not “Elected”.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes Colorado loves the voting machines since we have got democrats with a super majority. No election audits here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

At least he could of given credit to Joseph Stalin. He's a nincompoop.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, Snake, the Dems are SUPERmajority now?

Dang, I always felt that living in SBS and Pueblo was like being 20 years in the future. But a supermajority? I need to stop thinking of Denver as a cow town, I'm not even sure if there's a National Western show any more.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got one of our own here in Alaska, Kelly Tshibaka, running against that RINO Lisa Murkowski, it's time we got rid of her sorry azz.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Wow, Snake, the Dems are SUPERmajority now?

Dang, I always felt that living in SBS and Pueblo was like being 20 years in the future. But a supermajority? I need to stop thinking of Denver as a cow town, I'm not even sure if there's a National Western show any more.

Colorado is California now. Same laws, same politicians...

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hoping that we in Louisiana can replace Dr. Cassidy. That boy has been a major disappointment.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,316 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.