Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
What is the latest and greatest best make and model? Looking for portability and power.

I’m very familiar with the use of charged fence. Looking for a camp model.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use this Kencove charger. It'll run at least a couple of weeks on 4 D cells or much longer on a small 12v battery. The trick is to get a good ground. During hunting season, the soil here is usually very dry and I can't get a decent ground without some work. I dig 2 shallow holes a foot or more apart and pound in 2 18" rods which I connect together with wire and clamps. Then I fill the holes with water. After it soaks down a bit (possibly refilling the holes with more water), I get a pretty good ground.

KENCOVE STRIP GRAZER
[Linked Image from images.kencove.us]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the tractor supply brand for around my garden.

Built in battery and solar charger.

It’s the pulse type, maybe all battery powered are...

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
No tractor supply here.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I use this Kencove charger. It'll run at least a couple of weeks on 4 D cells or much longer on a small 12v battery. The trick is to get a good ground. During hunting season, the soil here is usually very dry and I can't get a decent ground without some work. I dig 2 shallow holes a foot or more apart and pound in 2 18" rods which I connect together with wire and clamps. Then I fill the holes with water. After it soaks down a bit (possibly refilling the holes with more water), I get a pretty good ground.

KENCOVE STRIP GRAZER

How many total feet of wire/tape do you use typically?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

KENCOVE STRIP GRAZER

How many total feet of wire/tape do you use typically?
About 750' but it'll handle more than that. I read somewhere that you need 1 joule/mile. This is .35 joule so if that's true it would be good for about 1800'.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Do you prefer the tape or the rope? I've ran both off bigger chargers. The tape always seemed to have places where it arced and ate through the plastic. The rope was easily fixed with some wire wrapped around it. Been a long time since I ran a string around camp with a battery powered charger. At least that's testable with the back of your hand. But then again, if it's that weak will it do what I'm asking it to do? wink

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use tape only because it's more visible. I think rope has better conductivity. What matters is how much bare wire is on the outside of the rope or tape where the animal hits it. Since the ground here is usually very dry during hunting season, the animal might not be in conductive contact with the ground so it doesn't get much of a shock. I had to train my llamas to respect it by setting it up at home when the ground was wet and letting them learn what it does. I haven't had a problem in the last 5 or 6 years.
I also had to go to 3 wires. I had 1 llama that would lay flat on his belly, put his chin on the ground, and belly crawl under it. The fleece insulates their backs and necks. It was funny to watch but I had to add a wire about a foot off the ground that would hit his ears. It only took a couple times to eddycate him. They aren't dumb.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use tape only because it's more visible. I think rope has better conductivity. What matters is how much bare wire is on the outside of the rope or tape where the animal hits it. Since the ground here is usually very dry during hunting season, the animal might not be in conductive contact with the ground so it doesn't get much of a shock. I had to train my llamas to respect it by setting it up at home when the ground was wet and letting them learn what it does. I haven't had a problem in the last 5 or 6 years.
I also had to go to 3 wires. I had 1 llama that would lay flat on his belly, put his chin on the ground, and belly crawl under it. The fleece insulates their backs and necks. I had to add a wire about a foot off the ground that would hit his ears. They aren't dumb.

Yeah, when I was running drift fences for a ranch I worked for the dry ground was a bitch. Both for grounding the charger and hoping the cows'd be zapped. Tape was visible enough you hoped twixt the 2 it'd work. But for toothy critters that DGAF I still wonder.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few months ago, I ordered the Parmak MAG-12-SP. Cost about $300. So far it's been flawless. Not a deer track in the pea patch.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I run a Parmak Solar Pak 12 with the tape. Don't touch it!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The OP wants this one for camping so it has to be portable. A battery operated one is as portable as you can get.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I will admit that I know nothing about electric fences but I need to learn. Is there any risk of a short or other situation that could cause a dry grass fire?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logger
I will admit that I know nothing about electric fences but I need to learn. Is there any risk of a short or other situation that could cause a dry grass fire?
You usually get the sparks when the grass is wet, not dry. A lightning strike can run the length of the wire. THAT will get dry grass cooking. That can happen with any fence, though, not just electric.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by logger

My understanding is the oooooold chargers that didn't pulse it yes. I have been told they still sell those chargers, but I've never seen one. On modern fence chargers, the spark if present, would maybe ignite some gas vapors but not dry grass.

MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gallagher S20.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
gotta ask. Why do you need a electric fence around camp?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bears

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gallagher or Parmak. I've had good luck with both.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by blairvt
gotta ask. Why do you need a electric fence around camp?

We have bears. Also intend to use it for horses. Maybe near home where extension cords won’t reach.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
307 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.