Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Damn, sold my Kimber 82, 22H a few years ago. It was a custom classic. Don’t remember the price, but certainly not what they sell for these days.

NRA Patron
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started collecting Kimber or Oregon, Kimber of America, and even some of the Kimber of New York rifles several years ago.

They really are neat rifles that look great and shoot great too!

Sadly, most of them never get shot since all of the matches in my area aren't the best fit for them...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tell me about it, I had two Clackamas Kimbers a .223 and a.22LR.. Sold them many years ago and it makes my head hurt at the prices now days. The .22 LR was a Custom Classic with some downright gorgeous walnut, both Left Hand. I've done my share of mistakes in selling guns.....

Bought several Coopers but they did was make me wish I still had my Kimbers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to sidetrack the thread but does the grooved receiver on the K of OR take standard tip off style bases or do they need the Kimber rings? Guessing the former but wanted to verify.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not to sidetrack the thread but does the grooved receiver on the K of OR take standard tip off style bases or do they need the Kimber rings? Guessing the former but wanted to verify.

JIm as far as I recall it's a standard grooved receiver.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jim, you need the Kimber rings due to the radiused top of the receiver between the grooves... however, there is one alternative which I have used a couple times - I put the rings in my mill and take out just a few .001's off the bottom of the ring base of Leupold or Burris rings right in the middle with a bull nose mill and they fit fine. Then I hit it with some cold blue and install them ...
The Kimber rings are like hens teeth to find these days and when you do they cost and arm and a leg....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sheister

Jim, you need the Kimber rings due to the radiused top of the receiver between the grooves... however, there is one alternative which I have used a couple times - I put the rings in my mill and take out just a few .001's off the bottom of the ring base of Leupold or Burris rings right in the middle with a bull nose mill and they fit fine. Then I hit it with some cold blue and install them ...
The Kimber rings are like hens teeth to find these days and when you do they cost and arm and a leg....

Bob

I forgot about the radius. I think Talley must have made the originals, they still make a similar ring but it doesn’t have the radius.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty sure that Warne made the original rings for Kimber and then Talley copied the design- at least the vertical split rings. The early horizontal split rings were made by Leupold IIRC....

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I flipped the rifle a week later for 6k to a well known collector on rimfirecentral.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Regarding the receiver grooves, the standard is 3/8" and grooved Kimbers are 11mm. For options, you can use original Kimber rings or old Warne Premier rings, but both are elusive to find and expensive. Leupold still makes a steel rimfire ring with the 11mm spacing and the correct radius. Warne makes a rimfire ring that fits both 3/8" and 11mm grooves by flipping over the clamp. The best option is the Talley rimfire ring made for Anschutz rifles, 11mm, radiused and vertically split like the original 2nd generation Kimber ring.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pretty sure that Warne made the original rings for Kimber and then Talley copied the design- at least the vertical split rings. The early horizontal split rings were made by Leupold IIRC....

That jogged my memory. The vertical split Kimber rings (Warne) were a real PITA to mount correctly, but looked great on the rifle.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I bought a Kimber Super America 22 Hornet in ‘85 or ‘86. Yes, those detachable rings are a bit of a pain. I put a new scope on mine last year and I was promptly reminded about that.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sagerat22
Regarding the receiver grooves, the standard is 3/8" and grooved Kimbers are 11mm. For options, you can use original Kimber rings or old Warne Premier rings, but both are elusive to find and expensive. Leupold still makes a steel rimfire ring with the 11mm spacing and the correct radius. Warne makes a rimfire ring that fits both 3/8" and 11mm grooves by flipping over the clamp. The best option is the Talley rimfire ring made for Anschutz rifles, 11mm, radiused and vertically split like the original 2nd generation Kimber ring.

We have tried the new Leupold rings listed for the Kimbers and they don't have the radius any more like the earlier ones did. My buddy called Leupold about it and they just kind of shrugged their shoulders about it and blew him off . I've tried a couple sets myself and needed to machine them to fit my Kimbers and my buddie's Kimbers in order to mount scopes....

Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a first year KOO 82 and after that I owned another 4 (A's and B's) of them. All were mounted with dovetail rings and I never had an issue with the radius of the receiver being an issue that I recall, and I did not use the Kimber or Leupold factory split rings on any of them, I like the looks of the split rings but I never used them on any of my KOO's. I wish I could recall what rings I used on them but the point of the post is that there are rimfire rings available that will fit them without having to do machine work so that they clear the radius.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

LOL, it's harder to remember every year. Kimber made the KOO rings in house. They're a Leonard Brownell design they acquired. KOO ceased operation in 1991, the same year Jack started Warne Rings. Greg (and Jack) started Kimber of America in '94, inside Jack' s ring shop in the same Clackamas industrial park KOO had previously used. It was said that Jack liked the vertical split rings because the design necessitates one less part than a comparable horizontal. Rather than a separate clamp, the vertical 's clamp function is integral to one side of the vertical ringmount.

There were KOO rings with and without the radius. The flat made for 84 and 89 Super Americas with the lovely integral-base receivers, KOO bases (for 84 and 89 Classics), and also fit the later Warne Premier bases. The round exclusively for 82s. Last I checked, Talley still manufactures specific 1" and 30mm rings that'll fit the (flat) KOO receivers, bases and Premier bases. I have a 30mm fixed set on my 89 BGR Super. They're very well-crafted.

I will leave the Talley vs Brownell vs Kimber discussion to others as I wasn't privy to that... It was an interesting experience to be a tiny part of and a joy in every sense to have known Jack. In my view, he'd be well-considered a GoodGuy around here. The 82s and 84s are of his design.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just bought a set of the Leupold rings to put into my stash. I really didn't look at the radius as I was more concerned with the semi matte/gloss blue finish which must be their attempt to have some thing that works with both gloss and matte blue. I bought a set of the Talley rings at the same time and their gloss blue works pretty well and their design is very close to the original Kimber ring.

Last edited by sagerat22; 07/23/21.

NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ok, you got me concerned so I went to my stash and retrieved the aforementioned Leupold rimfire rings. I had a Kimber 82, unscoped, late A action, 53K+ serial #, grooved receiver, and installed them. Perfect radius match.
So for reference, they are Leupold Rimfire 11mm 1" medium gloss, part # 54231. There is an orange label on the front that says "Ringmounts CZ/Rimfire/Cross-Slot" but other than the finish and the smaller tightening screw head, they are dimensionally the same ring I've used on Kimber 82 rifles for years.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks John, I'll have to have a look at those and see if they are the same part number we have been ordering from Leupold... the units we used were definitely marked for Kimber 82 , but may have been the 3/8" and are dimensionally different?

I'm not too happy about their new finishes either. Tim talked to their custom shop about a year ago they said they wouldn't even do a gloss in the custom shop on special order any more. Getting more and more disappointed in dealing with Leupold these days...

Bob

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
An article that may interest.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-kimber-rifle-story/

If anyone can address dovetail widths from Kimber of Oregon and Warne Premier? It may be of value to have down.

3/8"?
11mm (0.433")?
0.460"?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.