Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Almost a year ago I was able to source a Stevens in a 243. I was looking for a long action to use as a base for a new Sweed build but I just could past up the deal.

Had Timney install a 3lb trigger.
I replaced the soft gray stock with a model 12 sourced from ebay.

Topped it with an EGW base and set of rings

Initially had a Nikon Bushmaster SFP scope and replaced it with Cabela's Convent FFP scope.

Had the stock bedded by a local Smith.

Shot both factory and reloads. Groups were small but stock was giving me issues so I had to make a decision; sell it and cut my losses or go full on.

I replaced the M12 bedded stock with a Woox Wildman chassis and Installed a Bolt Lift Kit. Waiting for my magazine to come in. Next up (not right away) is to replace the bolt body to take the slack out of the bolt and bolt handle. Replace the factory barrel with a Krieger and the barrel nut.

In the end, the only parts that will be stock will be the bolt head and all it's components; most of the components in the bolt body and the receiver.

I'm thinking my next build will start with an receiver from an action manufacturer like Defiance. I would still like to replace my Sweed as it is a great bench gun but I would never take it hunting. Maybe one of the newer calibers like 6.5 PRC or 6.8 Westerner? Maybe a 300 RUM? I don't know.

I just wrote a small review of the Woox stock.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16271809/got-the-woox#Post16271809

Cheers

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Stevens M200s are getting a little hard to find lately, but they are out there. I remember when Academy had them on clearance for $179 several years ago, they had mostly tan stocks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I re stocked a used 2009 Stevens 200 223 in 2016 I got for $250 and put night vision on it.

Along the way I called up Savage and said, "I am thinking that Stevens 200 was just a way to use up old Savage 110 parts."

The woman at Savage said, "Exactly".

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One thing I like about Savage is that they're (were) inexpensive. You can build them into anything you want. They pioneered the barrel nut in factory guns which led to an industry of switch barrels, Remage and now guaranteed shouldered pre-fits that fit on custom actions without the need of the action to cut threads.

I had a Stevens .223. It was an accurate rifle. A family wanted to get into deer hunting so I swapped the barrel to a .308, changed the bolt face and swapped the mag and follower. The mag and follower were tough to source. Anyway, it gets the job done with no fuss.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Savage/Stevens 200 222 Rem Shaw barrel, Viper 6.5-2,0 SSS Trigger
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

25-204, Shoots well with factory stock, PacNor barrel, Weaver V-3

22-204, rechambered 223 barrel , factory stock, factory trigger, Sightron II 1.5-6

20 Practical, X-Caliber barrel, Rifle Basic trigger, Athlon 2-12 scope, factory scope

This is as close to stock, I put it together for an Egg Shoot after the shoot we went hunting with our comp. guns. 22-250 factory barrel, SSS trigger, XLR adjustable comb, Balvar 8 scope

Wit the barrel channel hogged out so it can' touch the barrel when on a rest or sticks and the action bedded the factory stocks have shot well for me. All the trigger changes were on pre-accutrigger triggers. Accutriggers work well for me on hunting guns but need help on target/longer range rigs.

Last edited by erich; 07/22/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds a little out of control.

I bought a Stevens 200 .223 for 300 bucks from an LGS, slammed a Sharp trigger on it before the box hit the floor. For fun, I installed Weaver bases, rings and Simmons scope, then took five rounds of a pet 223 load and that was a .691 group, then took off the barrel. Still have that pipe in the stash, I'd love me a Five Seven rifle someday..
Scraped the mold flashing off the gray stock, sent a "retired" barrel for 221 Fireball rechambering, got that back, headspaced it with five cases, bedded the action into the stock with pillars. I think all told it was four hours of tinkering, maybe 750 total investment, including custom chambering, custom trigger, brass. On good days on paper, it will do in the high .400s, usually a little over a half-inch, definitely good enough for gophers up to 200 yards. Kind of neat to take a dumpster barrel and give it a second life.

But yeah, pretty much a Model 10 in different colors.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Oop's got the wrong pic in, this is the 22-250 with the Balvar 8 on it..

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As you guys know, the Steven's 200 is a sleeper rifle. They used to be very popular because guys knew they were cheap accurate rifles. I looked for a while for just the right one and found this one. New in the box, but was like 11 years old or something:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As you can see, I replaced the stock with one my buddy gave to me, so that didn't cost a dime. It is off a Trophy hunter XP with detachable magazine. I also glass bedded it for consistent accuracy. I painted it brown with a little texture. I also did not like the factory trigger, so I installed a Timney. Made a hell of a difference. Its fun to shoot now and it's pretty light for a good solid hunting rifle. The weaver sitting on top is a 4-16 with adjustable obj and cost me $100.00 at one of the LGS. I generally don't shoot 5 shot groups with it. That'd be damn boring. It does shoot sub moa though:

For chidts and giggles I shot it in one of my clubs "precision centerfire" shoots. It did its thing:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
thats a nice looking rifle erich

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sweet. Am looking for one myself, have a B&C pillar stock waiting. Thinking rebarrel to heavy fluted 7mm 08

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.