-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A used one. There are so many of us older gun guys out there who bought or built up great rifles back in the day. The guns are as good and more valuable than ever, but their owners aren't.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by brinky72

Geedubya, what did your taxidermist have to say when you got that porcupine mounted. I can’t imagine that was his favorite job.

Here is the story!

I've been using the same taxidermist since the early 80's. He had probably done in excess of 40 mounts, most of which were done between 2000 and 2008. In fact I used to go by his shop once a week and bring him a six pack of Miller Beer and drop a $50.

I'm pretty much out of that routine these days.

Anywho, I had been at his shop, enjoying a brewski and a stogie when I spied a porcupine he had just finished. When I hunted in Rocksprings, Tx. there were porcupines all over, but at this particular time, and the lease I was on, I had only seen one porcupine in the last half dozen years. I mentioned that the next porcupine I saw, if I could take it, i would have him mount it.......

At this point a Sven & Ole joke comes to mind............ Sven had been out coon hunting. He managed to bag a couple. On the way home he warmed up with a couple of sips of schnapps and when he passed by Ole's Taxidermy shop he got an idea. He had numerous mounts but no coons. So he stops, grabs the two coons and goes in. He tells Ole that he would like him to stuff those two coons. So Ole replies, so ya' vant dem' coons mounted, eh'. Sven thinks a minute then replies, "No, Ole, I've got a Missus and kids at home, just have them holding hands!

So of all things, about two weeks after seeing that Porcupine at my bud's shop I was heading up to my lease. It's six miles in off the nearest paved road and it takes about 45 minutes to traverse the distance. I was past the first bump gate when I saw this Porky' crossing the road. I slowed down as he went into the brush. I was cussin' myself as I did not have a rifle or a shotgun at the ready. Well it wasn't but a few seconds later that the Porky climed up a scrub oak a few yards off the road. He stopped on a limb about 10' off the ground. I had this Taurus Titanium Snubby in 44 Special on my hip so I walked over as close as I could get being as the tree was surrounded by cat claw and cactus and commenced to blasting. Knocked him right out. By time I was able to get him out of the scrum, I was bleeding worse than he. So I pick him up by the hind leg and carry him over and toss him on th back of the trailer my 4 wheeler was on. When I got to the next bump gate and passed through I stopped to make sure everything was in working order. I noticed that the porcupine had slid within a foot of the end of the trailer, so like a dumbazz I grabbed him by the tail.
Yowsir!

Anywho, should you ever grab a porcupine by the tail.......

Some say cut the quills as they are hollow and expand with pressure. Others say no. I had a pair of toenail clippers with which I cut the quills. I got them out, but it was not fun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

ya!

GWB

This is the kind of content that truly makes this place worthwhile.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
A used one. There are so many of us older gun guys out there who bought or built up great rifles back in the day. The guns are as good and more valuable than ever, but their owners aren't.

Yup. I’m playing around with a 1980-ish Remington 700 BDL in 270 that my uncle gave me. I know the 270 is not supposed to be an accurate cartridge but it shoots. I’ve watched my uncle knock over hundreds of deer with this rifle and I’m not exaggerating. He shot crop damage on a potato farm from the early 70’s to about 1996 this particular rifle was his second. 270 which replaced a 7 Rem Mag around 1980. He had it dialed in for 440 yards because that’s about as close he could get to the deer after awhile. Across a 40. Always shot 130 grain green box until my dad started loading him 130 grain Speer Hot Cor with a max charge of IMR 4350. He stopped counting at 700 head with this rifle well before he quite shooting crop damage. So far I’ve tore down the rifle and cleaned it thoroughly. I put some Talley medium mounts on it and kept a vintage Leupold 3X9 on it for nostalgia sake. The wood stock is getting refurbished with a hand rubbed oil finish and some little repair to the ebony fore end tip which got a little too warm when it was accidentally leaned on the hot wood stove. This boring setup has and will shoot as far as I care to engage game and with a good 130 load or a 150 partition load I’m set.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall

Yup, old S&W revolvers aren’t far behind.

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.