S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
12/15X usually is good enough for me.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Springcove
Good binoculars and a spotter is a must in the western states.

I go back and forth concerning a spotter, unless we're talking about needing to call out legal animals with very specific criteria such as age classes of rams, full curls, point restrictions, etc.

I am not a numbers guy though and usually need just a cursory look at a critter before deciding to go for it or not. I have never once tried to mentally count inches and total an animal's score before deciding if I would be happy with him or not.

I carry a spotter a lot, but honestly can't ever remember thinking it was a necessity. Maybe it is just me, though it has told me whether a herd had a bull/buck in it or not, from afar.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by drover
I got by with a Weaver K-4 for over 20 years so I guess I really don't need alpha glass, but my hunting is in the west where it is not dark and dismal and I don't take shots over 300 yards so I don't twist knobs either. Although I did step up to a K-6 for a couple of years before taking the big leap to a 3-9 Bushnell Trophy - does that count as alpha glass?

drover

drover, let’s put your 3-9 Bushnell Trophy to the alpha test and see if it meets the criteria.

#1. Did it cost you north of $1900 bucks ? I’m gonna say...NO

#2. Have you seen any hunting videos with a young, flat brimmed hat wearing dude, with his hair knotted into a bun on his head using your scope ?...I’m gonna say....NO

#3 When you bought the Bushy, did you try to hide the purchase from your significant other ?....Going out on a limb here, and gonna say...NO

The last question and most important...Did you look at yourself in your mirror while holding your rifle that you mounted the Trophy on and wink at yourself, saying, “Hell, yeah, I look good” ? This is a tough question to answer for me, but I’m gonna say...Yes, yes, you absolutely did.

3....No’s to 1...Yes. = Definitely not alpha glass.

I’m sorry. You’re a loser !

Grins

🦫

PS

I’m bet you still fill your freezer.

I look like chit no matter what scope i buy.

Yep, me too. My feelings are hurt to find out that I really didn't have alpha glass after all.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last 10 years, the unit has exploded with hunters. There was a time when the Coast bull hunt was a plan B for dudes that didn’t draw an Eastside hunt.

They would typically roll in Friday night and pray for an elk sighting over the next 4 days...Over time, these hunters started learning from coming back and talking to other non-local hunters about the areas and how our elk move.

Today, if you’re trying to hunt by truck on logging roads, you’re going to have crowds where the elk herds are easily seen.

Last season, we were down two hunters. I elected to puss out and go to a few honey holes by truck where I had put eyes on bulls.

Didn’t matter that we arrived at 3:30AM opening day, hunters were already there sleeping in rigs where we needed to head in before light...They ended up missing a decent 4 point, I had hoped we’d hunt up.

Day 3, I got on a small spike. I passed on him, but hailed my pard on the radio to come to my spot to get take the shot if he wanted...By the time he’d made his way to me the spike and cow moved into a deep ravine. We had a big storm crushing us, neither of us wanted to dive into the steep timber with 60 mph wind gusts hammering into trees.

Last season brought back the bad memories of too many hunters running amuck in drivable areas. I’m going back to the hike in behind locked gates, no vehicles hunting. That 2, 3, and 4 mile up hill trek cuts the hunting pressure by 90 plus %.

Yeah, definitely a different scene than I am used to during archery elk season there. There are a lot of bowhunters but with the month long season it's never that heavy. And by mid-season, the bulls are usually getting fired up and start screaming. Getting an arrow in one, in that terrain, is obviously a challenge. But it's exciting when they come running from the bottom of a hell hole, or from the next ridge over to fight. Makes it easier on the legs grin

The coast isn't my first choice though. I apply for controlled hunts, and if I don't get anything then I usually archery hunt East and West. My one rifle hunt in the Wilson Unit was basically to help a buddy. I was shuttle driver for a few days, but still had a tag. I never hunted his area of the unit before. Too close to roads, camps, and OHV trails for me but the elk were in there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
SLM I have only ever carried 10x43s. I have looked at bigger binoculars but the weight always seems a bit much.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The weight is well worth it to me.

8’s as chest glass and the 12/15X are in the pack.

SLM I have only ever carried 10x43s. I have looked at bigger binoculars but the weight always seems a bit much.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I like my Leica geovid HDs and I have a VX 5 Leupold that tracks pretty good does that count?

RetardO....of course it does !

🦫👊🏽

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

Bipod for the 15x ?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tripod for the 12/15’s.

Originally Posted by SLM

Bipod for the 15x ?

🦫

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
SLM, I’ve tinkered with the idea of getting some MeoStar B1 15x.

Can’t get myself to pull the trigger after I bought the Kowa TSN-553 for a lightweight long glass scouting.

I definitely see the advantages of big eye bins over a spotter.

Glass is pretty awesome on the Kowa’s. But, still....

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use 15X MeoStars. They`re pretty impressive when covering big country but I can`t do the tripod thing with them, unless I am looking at one spot and am not gridding an area. That is with any bino though, not just the 15Xs. It torques my back all to hell, in all kinds of weird angles when pivoting and panning.

I`ve gone back to bracing my elbows on my knees when glassing big areas and keep the tripod with the spotter.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always have my binos on my chest if I’m in the woods. Currently using Leica 3200.coms and previously had limited edition HD-B’s that Frud talked me out of for his bride. 🙄🤷🏼‍♂️😁

If I’m not actually hunting my own tag and just scouting or already tagged out and along for the day then the Swarovski STS HD80 and CF tripod are most certainly in my pack.

But like Beav I don’t usually take it along hunting unless I plan to go to a specific spot where it will definitely help my odds as I’m a tad hard on gear when it’s go time.

That’s said I hunt a lot of large clear cuts and being able to see detail in the fringes of the tree line sometimes a mile plus away definitely is nice.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So would a Nightforce SHV be considered alpha glass?
Looks like doug has em under a K ( 3-10x ).

Was looking at Steiner GS or maybe something from Zeiss.

Thinking $700 ish but could go a bit higher.
Slap it on a .243 win or a .30-06.
500 yd and less.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
It's up to you.

I shot deer for years with 3rd tier glass, but now that I can somewhat afford it, I do like the better glass.
I killed multiple deer every season with iron sights for many years. Some in excess of 200 yards and some on the run. Though a scope does offer advnatages over iron sights, they're still not mandatory for my success. I'll fill my tags with or without.

just as long as your spotlight works right
Never needed a spotlight. After reading these types of discussions on here for years I think some of you fuggers are blind as a bat and few could use iron sights effectively if their lives depended on it. And btw scopes do work much better than iron sights at night with a light. I know that from years of coon hunting and predator hunting. I started out deer hunting with an iron sighted Mossberg 500 slug gun when I was a kid. A few years later got a Winchester 94 .30-30 as my first deer rifle. I killed deer every season for years with those two before I ever used a scoped rifle. Anybody who really needs a scoped rifle to kill deer and seriously can't get the job done with irons either ain't much of a hunter/shooter or is blind enough they should stay the hell out of the woods for everyones safety..

This coming from a guy that hunts a state that has sunrise/sunset as starting and ending times for hunting. It would be a complete waste of money to use an Alpha scope in those conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While it is generally still light enough to see 1/2 hour before and after sunrise and sunset in most of the US, what is or is not enough light to safely see and hunt is way more involved. A person's latitude plays a factor as the sun rises and sets at a different angles, dependent. Twilight will last over two hours in Alaska at times, and only 20 or so minutes at the equator.

Deep canyons, thick trees and cloud cover can further make shots totally difficult due to lightning, despite the sun technically being up. A person's eyesight could also be a factor.

So, no....alpha scopes for civil daylight only wouldn't necessarily be a complete waste of money, from a light gathering aspect alone. Nevermind quality internals.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Been hunting a long time, but not nearly as much or often as many of you. I have every brand of scope from S&Bs down to lowly 60 plus year old weavers. In my experience, the so called "Alpha Glass" buys you about ten minutes of hunting time and even that can be greatly offset with a heavier X hairs. I've tried it and it works. So it's your money...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many have recommended 6x scopes with at least 30 mm objective lenses as the solution to low light. This combination provides a 5mm exit pupil which is widely accepted as the required amount of light to work with the human eye. The rule of 5x works with any variable scope just as well as a fixed power scope. A 3x9-32mm scope set at 6x also provides the same 5mm exit pupil. The old 3x9 -40 works as well up to 8x and costs much less than the fixed 6x scopes. 3x9's are the bread and butter of each major scope manufacturer. The lower price and similar quality makes them the best buy.

But don't listen to me. Get yourself a 10x fixed power with a 50mm objective so you have more confidence to shoot at shadows in the woods 30 minutes after sunset. Just don't shoot your buddies by accident.

God Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My eye sight isn't 20-20 anymore. My eye doctor says he could get rid of the cloudiness, but I'd have to stop shooting while the artificial lenses settled in. I think alpha glass is a waste of money for me. I've been watching deer for a long time - they parade across my 40 acres. Deer seem to be moving long before sunset and long after sunrise - sometimes in the middle of the day. Maybe not so much with the "30 point" buck though. Since I don't really hunt for "Trophy" deer anymore "Beta" glass is mostly all I use for hunting. The most expensive glass I own doesn't exceed $500. I'm much more worried about how stout the glass is than perfect lenses, especially when I'm a state away from home.

I love to have venison/elk/antelope/etc. in the freezer - I don't need more racks on the wall. The wife won't let me hang the racks in the living room anyhow.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In theory this is true, but glass and coating quality plays a big part in perceived brightness.

Not all 8X42’s or 3-9X40’s are equal on light transmission.

Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Many have recommended 6x scopes with at least 30 mm objective lenses as the solution to low light. This combination provides a 5mm exit pupil which is widely accepted as the required amount of light to work with the human eye. The rule of 5x works with any variable scope just as well as a fixed power scope. A 3x9-32mm scope set at 6x also provides the same 5mm exit pupil. The old 3x9 -40 works as well up to 8x and costs much less than the fixed 6x scopes. 3x9's are the bread and butter of each major scope manufacturer. The lower price and similar quality makes them the best buy.

But don't listen to me. Get yourself a 10x fixed power with a 50mm objective so you have more confidence to shoot at shadows in the woods 30 minutes after sunset. Just don't shoot your buddies by accident.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Board line on the shv
Originally Posted by hookeye
So would a Nightforce SHV be considered alpha glass?
Looks like doug has em under a K ( 3-10x ).

Was looking at Steiner GS or maybe something from Zeiss.

Thinking $700 ish but could go a bit higher.
Slap it on a .243 win or a .30-06.
500 yd and less.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well I have a early 1980’s Weaver 3x9 40mm with Micro track and I have shot a Beaver at night with no light in a cornfield and when I went to go retrieve it I tripped on it as it was that dark. Held zero for years in Weaver mounts never had a problem. I think all this talk is 99% BS as most quality scopes will suffice for Big Game hunting 30minutes before sunrise and 30m after sunset.
Yes just this year I put on a on my Rifle thinking 40 years is a long time for a scope. Is my new scope better time will tell how it holds up.

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 55 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.