24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the reminder. I just pulled my copy out and started back in.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love to still hunt, where I can. A lot of the bigger woods I used to still hunt have been clear cut at some point these days, and you just can’t still hunt worth a crap when you have to crawl through briars and can’t see 5’. Have to stand hunt the trails, clearings, and fields mostly. The deer love the thick, new growth, though. Southern deer get super stupid in a hard snow storm, it’s always seemed. From my school age years to today, if it starts snowing hard, I love to still hunt. Often just take a shotgun or something with open sights.

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
the Still hunting Bible

Anyone who claims to be a still hunter either read it - or will learn a HUGE amount from this book.

It’s in it’ s5 or 6th publishing… the guy lived from 1800 - 1923….

[Linked Image from d3525k1ryd2155.cloudfront.net]

Just ordered a copy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Creeping along is almost as bad as sitting all day for me...I just go for a walk and try to be relatively quiet and to pay attention. See them before they see me and have caught a few in their bed, not knowing I was there. In Pa it is a rare day one can sneak along in almost complete quiet. I've bounced more than a few out of their bed and finished it before they ran off. Most of the times they escape, but others they just stand up and look...or run off a bit and make the mistake of looking back in the wrong place.

If I had my preference, I would hunt with a Bird Dog quartering in front of me. Have seen some nice Deer just standing there looking at and wondering what the Dog is all about and ignoring me.

Only problem is that you need some big acreage to roam..Wandering around the same 100 acres all day doesn't work all that well...

Windy or a light rain is a fine day to go for a walk.

Caught this one while walking-both of us-on a snowy windy day...He had no idea and eventually passed within 30 yards of me..Not a shooter...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Walking a ridge and looking over...caught him feeding maybe 30 yards away..He never knew...

Walking and looking over....Doe bedded...I watched and waited, hoping a Buck would come along. Finally gave up and she was still there...

An out of season walk...He thought it would be safe to just stay there...It would have been a mistake...

Last edited by battue; 07/21/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sometimes you catch something moving.....before it knows you are there.

And if you are patient....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pics Battue!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a 'newer' book on hunting whitetails is ; 'shots at whitetails' by larry koller. published in 1948.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In stuff like this, it's amazing how much a good pair of binocs can help. They allow you to focus beyond the 1st layer of brush and see considerably deeper into it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They have a place if one is scanning cover. However, in this case I was walking the other side of the ravine, around 75 yards away, and visually picked up the Deer slowly coming down. Then sat and used the binos. Didn’t see any others, so took the pics.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If they are not pressured hard, our Deer here are not always on high alert...Caught this one out in the open right before Deer season with a Dog working in front. He hung around long enough to take a few pics before he said enough.

Saw these from a long way off and eventually did a belly crawl thru the grass to find out it was not a Buck...

Another walk about..being quiet but not moving at a snail pace. I stopped and he got up and tried put it together..Not legal, so took a pic..

Another walk while heading to the car at the end of a day Grouse hunting with the Dog...They could have cared less...

Last edited by battue; 07/22/21.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The results of two walking with a plan....

Last edited by battue; 07/22/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wahoo
a 'newer' book on hunting whitetails is ; 'shots at whitetails' by larry koller. published in 1948.

Not as well known, but also excellent are “Whitetail, Fundamentals and Fine Points for the Hunter”, by George Mattis, and “The Deer Hunter’s Guide”, by Francis E. Sell.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.