Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
Well I have a early 1980’s Weaver 3x9 40mm with Micro track and I have shot a Beaver at night with no light in a cornfield and when I went to go retrieve it I tripped on it as it was that dark. Held zero for years in Weaver mounts never had a problem. I think all this talk is 99% BS as most quality scopes will suffice for Big Game hunting 30minutes before sunrise and 30m after sunset.
Yes just this year I put on a on my Rifle thinking 40 years is a long time for a scope. Is my new scope better time will tell how it holds up.

This alone makes you a somnabitch, your glass comparison notwithstanding.

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Well I have a early 1980’s Weaver 3x9 40mm with Micro track and I have shot a Beaver at night with no light in a cornfield and when I went to go retrieve it I tripped on it as it was that dark. Held zero for years in Weaver mounts never had a problem. I think all this talk is 99% BS as most quality scopes will suffice for Big Game hunting 30minutes before sunrise and 30m after sunset.
Yes just this year I put on a on my Rifle thinking 40 years is a long time for a scope. Is my new scope better time will tell how it holds up.

LOL

🦫

I concur. That was just mean!

Truth be told I used my Whelen with an old VXI 3x9 fir quite a few years and never knew I was missing out. Until I started using a little better glass.

I have one example of a big buck I shot at 2 in the afternoon. Ground was covered with patchy snow but it was just a dark day with clouds and I was sitting where about 150 yards was max shooting. The buck slipped down a ridge, I saw horns but damned if making him out with the 4x Leupold wasn’t a pain in the butt. Since then I’ve gone to a bit brighter optics for the woods holes I find myself in and don’t regret it.

Out in the wide open, clear day the M8 isn’t half bad but in the darker scene it doesn’t do me any favors. Still got the deer easy enough and I’d still use the scope if that’s what I had but the 6x Schmidt on that rifle now is some kinda better and not really much more money than the typical 3x9 these days.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When time and money are invested in a shot opportunity, durability/reliability are what's most important to me. Missing a shot because of equipment failure is not something I'm willing to accept but that doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune on glass. I've owned Swarovski, S&B and Zeiss, mostly buy/own Leupold now, seems to be the best intersection of value/$ for me now.

Last edited by 257Bob; 07/22/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shot deer w an M8 4x compact. Last kill was right at legal light in a thicket. Pretty dark.
It was bright enough.
But it wasnt spectacular.

The old Weaver V9.....pops and I had em way back, AO models bought new
Sent back every couple yrs due to fogging. These had knurled dual rings on objective, dunno if one was a Steel Lite series.

After 2nd fogging of mine we said screw it and got Leupolds. Dad a 3.5-10x AO and me a 3-9x AO.
Of course minr was dicked from the get go and sent back, replaced in 4 weeks. Zero probs w the replacement.

Yeah old vintage scopes are cool. But thats about it.
Ill take newer stuff w better coatings, materials and designs.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/22/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Scope quality probably doesn't help my hunts, but it does increase my pleasure viewing with sharp clarity and using repeatable adjustments. Of course, it is all subjective as alpha glass to me is only a moderate price range for many on the campfire. I'm happy with optics topping out in the quality and price range of Meostar, Zeiss Conquest, and Tract.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I cant afford a couple K for a scope.
Dont compete and dont draw big money tags.
So am in the 500 to 1000 range on scopes.

I also dont need many LOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
I cant afford a couple K for a scope.
Dont compete and dont draw big money tags.
So am in the 500 to 1000 range on scopes.

I also dont need many LOL

The Hungarian made Schmidt and Benders don’t suck for the money I’ve got into them. I think their 6x and 8x are still around 600 bucks and man, they’re nice if you don’t mind a set and forget scope with thick reticle. They aren’t for shooting little tiny prairie dogs but man are they nice in the woods.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No respect for the beav’.

LOL

🦫

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

I nominate beaver for a beaver award
Best roll cast into a pool....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not important for the hunting that I do. Michigan deer woods shooting for me is nearly always under a hundred yards and usually closer to half of that. A lightweight set it and forget it scope that’s bright enough to see through during legal shooting hours and not fog up or break will do everything I need a hunting scope to do. For those reasons I mostly buy Leupold’s but also own SWFA, Zeiss Conquest, Trijicon, a Bushnell 4200 and a few others.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffP
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

I nominate beaver for a beaver award
Best roll cast into a pool....

LMAO

🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beaver does so much for the fire. I would like to reward him with an 18 pack of Keystone Lite and a bottle of Boones Farm…

Shoot me a PM and it’s on its way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Springcove
Beaver does so much for the fire. I would like to reward him with an 18 pack of Keystone Lite and a bottle of Boones Farm…

Beav got classy, he wants the Busch Apple beer instead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It was a little obvious that the core group of defenders of mechanics over glass in scopes were absent from this thread for the most part.

Paging....JORDAN ! 😬

🦫

PS

I figure the guys who run dials, also know how to read, and can comprehend what they read...They saw nothing here worth chatting about, because this wasn’t about glass over dialing, just a straightforward glass quality in a scope question.

There’s room in hunting for everyone to own, use, and be successful hunting with whatever they feel will work for them in their necks of the wilderness.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Coot Addict and SringCover have zero taste in beer 🍺

Facts matter !

🤣🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Coot Addict and SringCover have zero taste in beer 🍺

Facts matter !

🤣🦫

Ok how about Schlitz malt liquor? Or perhaps Mickey’s Big Mouths

Last edited by Springcove; 07/23/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or would you prefer Bartles & James?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Drink enough the Alpha glass seems less important.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I once used some Black velvet to defrost a Ruger action and warm up a frozen dingo.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Boones Farm and TJ Swan (aka the panty dropper) bring back good memories.

Page 15 of 23 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.