Print Thread
Hop To
R
richj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Has anyone done a myrtlewood stock. I know Cecil Fredi has some stripe banks. I have a piece here that is plain.
I bought it while vacationing in Oregon. Was thinking of a stainless or light cerekote lightweight rifle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one was sold as Myrtlewood but it may be maple. It is very light weight

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice.

Tarquin
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I made a stock from a piece of myrtle last winter. A bit on the heavy side and, since it was for one of my silhouette rifles, probably not the best choice. It had been sitting in the basement for 25 years though and I needed a stock. Not bad to work with but it wouldn't be my first choice for a lightweight rifle. I've made walnut stocks, similar in shape and size, which are easily a half pound lighter. GD

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here in Oregon, it seemed to be popular. I've seen some beautiful stocks around here. A neighbor had about 7 custom rifles done in Myrtle wood. They were beautiful. Good luck with your project.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Have a myrtle wood stock I made....an uncle in OR sent me the blank similar to those shown above. This was in 1970 when I was graduating from High School. Parents gave me a Sako .270 barreled action. Took me about 2 years as a college student with limited time at home in Dad's workshop to care it into a serviceable stock. The gun turned out very heavy...almost 10#s with the addition of Sako steel low mounts and a K-4 and a magazine full of ammo.

Over the years the .270 was re-barreled to 6.5mm x 280AI and the scope was upgraded. I never checkered it as I wasn't competent in the art. It's one rifle I wont sell, but rarely sees the outside of the gun safe.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Have a myrtle wood stock I made....an uncle in OR sent me the blank similar to those shown above. This was in 1970 when I was graduating from High School. Parents gave me a Sako .270 barreled action. Took me about 2 years as a college student with limited time at home in Dad's workshop to care it into a serviceable stock. The gun turned out very heavy...almost 10#s with the addition of Sako steel low mounts and a K-4 and a magazine full of ammo.

Over the years the .270 was re-barreled to 6.5mm x 280AI and the scope was upgraded. I never checkered it as I wasn't competent in the art. It's one rifle I wont sell, but rarely sees the outside of the gun safe.

Sounds like you need to pull it out, take pics and post them..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Myrtle was popular here on the Oregon coast back in the 60’s - 70’s when I was a kid.
A lot of stock making was done by folks from Powers and Myrtle Point and the Coos Bay Area.

The vast majority of those I saw where in the California or Weatherby style, with slanted fore end tips, roll over cheek pieces and palm swells....and way more wood than necessary- not my cup of tea.

The few I saw in classic form were very nice indeed.
They can be pretty heavy, but they can also be made nice and slender. Stain helps bring out the grain.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.