Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Since there are unlimited color combinations that can be PC what is your favorite.

Attached Images
Colors 001.JPG (16.4 KB, 213 downloads)
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just started powder coating and I started with Eastwoods Ford light blue because several people online said it works well. It has worked very well for me so far. I just put 2 or 3 cups of bullets and a few table spoons or so of the powder in a cool whip container and shake the container for about a minute.

I'm looking for an Eastwood red color that works well and is easy to apply. I'd also like another color like a green or black or just something different than my blue and red.

I'm thinking I'll load the blue ones to powder puff light loads, the red ones I'll load to full power max loads, and the third color will be fir standard loads in between the other two.

Which Eastwood red works best and what's a 3rd colors that works well? The Eastwood Ford light blue works great.

Bb

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I like 70% beeswax, 20% avocado oil, and 10% hog lard. I use this concoction to run gas-checked rifle bullets at 2400 fps. Leaves a squeaky clean barrel with a waxed finish. Nothing toxic here. I can either lube my castings or butter my toast

H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
This post is not about a right or wrong. It's about what the individual prefers.i have been casting & traditionally lubing cast bullets for over 50 years. For me. I much prefer the Powder Coated bullet. Also a squeaky clean bore & not the slighest sign of lead. As to colors, what you prefer makes you happy, that's the way to go. Enjoy bullet casting your way, no matter what some one else says.It's about your personal enjoyment & not some one else's opinion.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've only used clear from smoke 4320 on castboolits so far.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have used red, white, blue and yellow. red for max loads, white for hunting loads, blue for powder puff loads and yellow for ruger 45/70 loads.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
No reason why a caster can't have fun with different colors. Then enjoy shooting those colors. It's just another facet of fun with our shooting sport.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’ve used a med-dark blue, silver (looks like freshly cast), and black.....all from Powder by the Pound. Blue and silver worked very nicely....the black sucks. Maybe, I’m doing something wrong, but, the black requires two coats....and still looks like a speckled egg! 🤬 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hey " memtb " try adding some clear to your black. Makes a surprising difference. I use 2 parts clear to 1 part O.D. Green & get a cool camo color. Using your black in a similar way would give you a very unique spotted color & good coverage.

Last edited by Hesp; 07/22/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
L
Originally Posted by Hesp
Hey " memtb " try adding some clear to your black. Makes a surprising difference. I use 2 parts clear to 1 part O.D. Green & get a cool camo color. Using your black in a similar way would give you a very unique spotted color & good coverage.

Thanks Hesp, I was hoping for complete coverage with the black. I wonder if someone else’s black powder would give complete coverage! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/23/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haven’t the need for powder coat, but if I did....clear, red, white & blue.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm still enjoying my beeswax, avocado oil and hog lard mix for bullet lube. I can run 2400fps no problems. Really haven't tried going faster as the cast gas-checked bullets probably won't hold up well on impact. I should test with wet newsprint sometime.

H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
For those who prefer traditional size & lube that is fine. Everyone should enjoy doing it their way. However this post is about color selection for those who prefer to PC their bullets. If you wish to talk about the differences between traditional lube & PC , please start your own post. I prefer PC & very much enjoy the challenges of different color combinations. Thank you for your consideration.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Hesp, while certainly off-topic, it’s still an open forum......The Highroad forum is looking for “hall monitors”! memtb

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks memtb, but I thought we were talking about bullet lubes in general. I'm trying to understand the value of PC. I guess my homemade beeswax concoction could be considered traditional, but there aren't any discussions on these lubes without dredging up some ancient forum. I can't imagine there'd be much lubricity with PC, and I'd like to understand it's performance limitations. I shoot cast (gas-checked) bullets going pretty fast in a 308 winchester. My last 5 shot group measured 0.91" at 100yds. Can PC bullets do this? Only if I was satisfied with the performance of PC might I concern myself with colors, but then again probably not. I'd rather load more ammo than change lipsticks

H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
As a caster of almost 60 years I've used many different lubes. Some commercial, some home made. Just recently started to PC my own bullets after trying commercially PC bullets. My bores stay absolutely lead free. No streaks, & no freckles of lead when I push a tight fitting patch thru the bore. For me I have seen a definite improvement in a clean bore & accuracy. PC is becoming more & more main stream with cast bullets , both commercially & with the home caster. The reason being is that it works. PC is super slippery, more so that a standard lubed bullet. Also allows for a softer bullet if desired. For sure I will not get rid of my Lyman & RCBS sizer/ luber;s. For those who feel PC is not for them there's no problem. Just keep lubing the way that makes you happy. For those who wish to PC should be able to do so if that makes them happy. No problem there that I see. If you haven't tried PC bullets , try some & see what you think. Maybe you might enjoy them. If not nothing lost.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Guess I need to see a definite incentive to switch to PC. Certainly believe there's a better way to do anything as stated by Edison. Was hoping to hear more about what velocities PC bullets can run. Have you tried any at moderate rifle velocities? I found 37.0grs imr-4895 in the 308 win to run 180gr GC Lee's at around 2400fps with likewise a squeaky clean barrel. It's what I'd call a shoot forever load. Could probably shoot this load for a long time before cleaning would become a necessity. I'd like to see if PC bullets offer this performance or better. If it's not better why would I consider the hassle of looking for an oven to bake bullets. I Certainly wouldn't consider doing this in any kitchen appliances used for food

H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I do all my PC workout side. An inexpensive little oven from Walmart. I believe I paid $59 for mine. Some PC powder & some black plastic BB's . Old cool whip bowl & non stick aluminum foil. Quite easy. I would be glad to talk you thru it if you wished to try. I assure if I can do it any one can. I cast & PC bullets from 25 cal ( 25-20 ) thru 45 cal hand gun & rifle. If you want to try it let me know. Be glad to help as others helped me. Forgot to mention I run my 45-70 at about 1550 fps & my 38-55 at just a hair over 1600 fps.Very accurate.

Last edited by Hesp; 07/29/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only done a few batches so far but I'm very pleased with the results. I think I only paid 30.00 for the toaster oven I use. Ordering the plastic BBs from the cast bullet poster "Smoke4320" really improved the results. I'm planning to order more BBs so I can experiment with more color combinations. Check out this 37 pages of guys showing off their results

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?251956-Powder-coated-bullets-pics-only

This is the guy I ordered from.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-VS-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale

Please don't feed the trolls!
H
Hesp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
These are the same supplies & supplier I use. His products work great. A considerable selection of colors including clear.Clear is an option if you want to keep the traditional lead look to your bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
580 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.