Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Asking for a friend.

If you were heading to a ranch guest house for a free 2-day scout + 5 day elk hunt, where it has a full kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, all towels, bed sheets, pillows,TP, dishes, silverware, internet, cable tv, washer/dryer, wood stove with firewood, etc, but you need to bring everything else like food, bottled water, whatever, cook for yourselves, with the Prime Directive being “don’t bother the owners”, what would you bring, and what would be your shopping list and menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Last edited by Dumdum; 07/21/21. Reason: Bloop
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For breakfast something that cooks up quick, whatever it is. JMO but I don't like to spend much time in the kitchen in the morning before a hunt.

For lunch I'd take sandwich stuff, or something else I could pack and take with me. Including a thermos for coffee or whatever I'd need to brew some up. Don't want to have to come back to the lodge for lunch if you don't want to.

Dinner is where I'd splurge. During most rifle seasons it gets dark early so you have time to cook in the evening. Whatever you'r favorite foods are that you'd bring on a vacation to the beach or mountains. For me that'd be steaks, seafood, chicken, veggies, potatoes, pasta, etc.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Smokepole nailed it. Think easy & quick for breakfast and packable for lunch. We make our sandwiches on bagels as they survive better in a pack. I make chili and spaghetti sauce at home and take it cold. Hate to brag, but these are good enough that we want two meals of each. Stew works the same if you make it right. No Dinty Moore allowed. Get some prime ribeyes for one dinner. Sounds like a good time in the making. I’m getting hungry just typing this!

Also, be sure not to forget a nice gift for your hosts to show your appreciation. A basket with smoked meats, good jerky and fancy nuts might be a good place to start for that.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They covered it, take your slippers, gives your feet a boot break.
Don't be afraid to leave something your brought that would help with others staying at the cabin.
Also clean it up really nice before you leave, might determine of you get to use it again or not. Splitting some firewood to leave is also a good idea for the next folks or the owners.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Obviously you need to bring clothing and hunting stuff. I'm guessing that you have your own list for that kind of stuff.

Each person should bring their own snacks and drinks. Also each person should bring their own hygiene kit.

Here's a list that I call call CAR CAMP FOOD. I developed this list for food that's easy to cook over a camp stove in a car camping situation. In the situation that you mention you will have more than a camp stove. But they are easy-to-prepare items no matter what kind of stove or facilities you have.

Those items that are entitled dinner burritos and breakfast burritos, I prepare a bunch of burritos at home, wrap them in aluminum foil, and freeze them. You can put whatever you want in the burritos and cook them to your taste. They sure make for easy meals.

Most of this stuff I buy at a local supermarket or at Costco. The list contains only a few things that require refrigeration (like tomato, lettuce, milk & eggs, etc.) and they might be difficult to buy at home and transport. So you might want to make a quick stop at a market close to where you are staying.

CAR CAMP MENU CHECKLIST - easy to cook on a camp stove
Place an X next to your preference

BREAKFAST

Breakfast Burritos
Homemade Burritos
Salsa
Ritz Crackers

S.O.S. & Eggs
Slider Rolls
Country Time White Gravy Mix , dehydrated
Summer Sausage, chopped
Eggs

Egg Sandwich
Eggs
Hamburger Buns
Cheese, sliced
Canadian Bacon
Mayo, Mustard & Ketchup

Oatmeal & Jerky
Oatmeal, Quaker Fruit & Cream
Jerky (Beef or Turkey)

Breakfast Cereal & Milk
Cinnamon Life
Cheerios
Milk

Western Camp Eggs
Eggs, scrambled
Bacon or jerky, chopped
Bell Peppers, chopped
Onion, chopped
Montreal Steak Seasoning

French Toast & Bacon
Bread
Eggs
Milk
Turkey Bacon
Cinnamon

Other (specify - you cook)

LUNCH

Tuna or Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Tuna or Chicken, can
Boiled Eggs
Mayo

P B & J Sandwiches & Fruit
Peanut Butter
Jelly
Bread
Cantaloupe, Watermellon, Apples

Cold Cut Sandwich
Ham & Turkey, sliced
Cheese, colby-jack, sliced
Lettuce & Tomato
Bread

Grilled Cheese & Bacon Sandwich
Bread
Turkey Bacon
Cheese, sliced
Mayo & Mustard & Ketchup
Margarine

Cup-O-Noodles

Protein & Carbs
Tortillas
Peanut Butter
Honey

DINNER

Dinner Burritos
Homemade Burritos
Salsa
Ritz Crackers

Chili Dogs
Hot Dogs
Hot Dog Buns
Chili with Beef (no beans), can
Cheese, grated
Onion, chopped

Chicken Casserole
Lypton/Knorr Chicken Casserole, dehydrated
Chicken, can
Peas, can
Margarine

Chicken A La King & Toast
Chicken A La King, can
Chicken , Can
Bread

Italian Dinner
Pasta Noodles
Pasta Sauce chuncky, bottle
Onion, chopped
Ground Beef, cook at home

Mac & Cheese
Velveeta Shells & Cheese
Ham, small can
Margarine, café packs

Stew
Campbels Chunky Soup
Bread

Kosher Ensemble
Lentils (boil-in-bag)
Rice (boil-in-bag)
Roast Beef, can

Other (specify - you cook)

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thank you Smokepole, WMR, wytex ! All good advice. Pre-made frozen individual portions of chili, beef stew, spagetti with meatballs and sauce, can do for quick meals, and steaks for a special meal sound good! Hard bread would go well with them ... (note: bring butter). Now you made me think ... could take pre-pressed frozen 90% hamburger patties that could cook up quick. And condiments.

When you take a lunch, do you need to seal it up good to stop odors? Also what about open coffee in the field?

On the list I would take bottled water, just to avoid the chances of Montezuma's revenge ruining the experience.

I'm thinking should also take a few garbage bags and take the trash away when leaving. Oh yeah, maybe a small alarm clock to get up early ... no cell phone coverage there, what if Wi-Fi craps out, does cell phone clock/alarm still keep time?

D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
OMG KC, you knocked it out of the ballpark! I was posting my previous reply when you posted your list. Very good menu list! Thanks!

Edited to ask: "S.O.S. & Eggs" ... Is S.O.S meant to be $h1t on a $hingle?

Last edited by Dumdum; 07/22/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Advil, tylenol, immodium ( I have been lucky others have needed it) First aid kit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree with quick and easy in the morning, sandwiches at lunch and splurge for evening. Have done steaks, prime rib, roasts, spaghetti,pork chops etc

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dumdum

When you take a lunch, do you need to seal it up good to stop odors? Also what about open coffee in the field?

Good question, elk have really good noses, so you really need to pay attention and stay downwind including the daily thermals in the mtns. Air will be moving down hill in the morning until the sun gets up high enough to warm the air (some time around 9:00 AM), and then the thermals reverse and the air will be moving uphill until the sun starts to set in the evening. So plan your movements accordingly and bring one of the little squeeze bottles with talc and use it often, the air is normally moving even when you don't think there's a breeze.

Having said that, I don't worry about odors from food or coffee, I just assume the elk are going to smell me before they smell a sandwich. Or, to put it another way, if you get upwind they're going to smell you whether you're eating and drinking coffee or not.

Not sure about all phones, but my alarm clock works without a connection.

Good luck!!

IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
KC, you da' man when it comes to backcountry camping. My Alaska trip was easier and better due to some of your previous advice. Just the same, if we ever share a car camp, I'll volunteer now to plan and bring the dinner menu. No canned meals in my camp :-) Best wishes and thanks for sharing what you've learned.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thank you Smokepole, WMR, wytex ! All good advice. Pre-made frozen individual portions of chili, beef stew, spagetti with meatballs and sauce, can do for quick meals, and steaks for a special meal sound good! Hard bread would go well with them ... (note: bring butter). Now you made me think ... could take pre-pressed frozen 90% hamburger patties that could cook up quick. And condiments.

On the list I would take bottled water, just to avoid the chances of Montezuma's revenge ruining the experience.

I'm thinking should also take a few garbage bags and take the trash away when leaving. Oh yeah, maybe a small alarm clock to get up early ... no cell phone coverage there, what if Wi-Fi craps out, does cell phone clock/alarm still keep time?

By all means take all the trash out with you. Your phone clock and camera will work fine with no cell coverage. Link it to a Garmin Inreach and you can text from anywhere on earth. Opinions vary, but I filter or boil any questionable water, or drink bottled water. Any elk that smells your lunch would have already smelled you, so don't worry about that. I always take a small clock and set two alarms if I'm getting up for something as important as a hunt. Usually I wake up before either one goes off.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
forget cooking breakfast and making a sandwich for lunch just take a MRE with a heater in it every day, couple bottles of water everyday and just cook a supper meal ,that`s what i do its much simpler and not as much time wasted cooking and cleaning up. so take a case of MRE`S with heaters and 2 cases of water for your hunt. plus your supper meals

Last edited by pete53; 07/22/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why on earth would somebody staying in a lodge with a full kitchen eat MREs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There isn't anything wrong woth having some comforts when elk hunting, but some of you all seem to go on a weekend getaway instead of an elk hunt.

I wouldn't touch MREs if I was in the OP's situation, but also woldn't be cooking gourmet meals. Good luck, with whatever route the OP goes.

D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I forgot to mention there is an empty full size freezer available in a shop at the ranch. In the eventuality that said friend actually bags an elk, what supplies would be useful to help cool the meat and avoid making a bloody mess in the freezer? (To minimize cleanup before departing)

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I forgot to mention there is an empty full size freezer available in a shop at the ranch. In the eventuality that said friend actually bags an elk, what supplies would be useful to help cool the meat and avoid making a bloody mess in the freezer? (To minimize cleanup before departing)

I prefer to transport meat cooled rather than frozen before final cutting and packaging. If the temp is cool enough for hanging, that would be my choice. If not, he could cool it in a couple large coolers with ice packs. I prefer water jugs or 2 liter bottles full of ice, as they don't get the meat wet when they melt. He could use the freezer to freeze these and refreeze them if needed. If he's going to use a commercial processor, he should check with him before the season to see what his preference would be. He also might then make arrangements for drop off in case he gets back from the hunt at some time the processor is not typically open. If this is a hunting ranch, they've dealt with meat care many times before. Maybe there's a way to see what others have done.

D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by WMR

I prefer to transport meat cooled rather than frozen before final cutting and packaging. If the temp is cool enough for hanging, that would be my choice. If not, he could cool it in a couple large coolers with ice packs. I prefer water jugs or 2 liter bottles full of ice, as they don't get the meat wet when they melt. He could use the freezer to freeze these and refreeze them if needed. If he's going to use a commercial processor, he should check with him before the season to see what his preference would be. He also might then make arrangements for drop off in case he gets back from the hunt at some time the processor is not typically open. If this is a hunting ranch, they've dealt with meat care many times before. Maybe there's a way to see what others have done.

What’s going on is a friend of mine has arranged a certain deal mutually beneficial with someone else that I know that has a guest house. I introduced them and want it to have a happy ending , and I’m in the middle ( and away we go with the jokes).

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Paper plates, beer and whiskey. Mt. House biscuits and gravy or breakfast burritos and coffee in the AM. Cheese and donkey dick for hunting time. Cheese burgers, tacos and steaks and plenty of Idaho instant mashed potatoes for dinner. Only bring dinners that can be reliably prepared while buzzed/hammered.

And toilet paper, never trust free toilet paper.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by WMR

Good information! Getting kind of tricky in terms of finishing up and cleaning up and handling meat. He doesn’t have large coolers, but given that he’s getting by cheap on the lodging he could go ahead and buy a couple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
390 members (300jimmy, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.