Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtSSNn_0GCU

perp had a knife, didnt seem like she was doing the ten foot rule, shot him further out than that

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/22/21.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure that was the competitive shooter they tried to complain was always "training" to kill by actually practicing shooting skills

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jump ahead to 6:40. She shot him. Pretty good shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Apparently, I'm not old enough to watch that video.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Jump ahead to 6:40. She shot him. Pretty good shot.

course i couldn't see it all but he wasn't near anyone when she shot him, directly behind him when she was blasting was a group of people, lucky she didn't shoot two or three of them

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Ten foot rule"? Never heard of such a thing and if it's real...it's real dumb.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think that the basic rule for shooting a knife wielding assailant, defendable in court, is 21 feet. Seems plenty close if someone is intent on carving me up! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by memtb
I think that the basic rule for shooting a knife wielding assailant, defendable in court, is 21 feet. Seems plenty close if someone is intent on carving me up! memtb

I've always heard it as don't let anyone with knife within 20'

Didn't look like she missed.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Now google is making me sign in to see these.. new liberal bullshit..

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
"Ten foot rule"? Never heard of such a thing and if it's real...it's real dumb.

Especially if the perp is pointing a rifle at you at 10’ 6”

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by memtb

I've always heard it as don't let anyone with knife within 20'

Didn't look like she missed.

After you shoot take a few steps forward. Easy.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ya gotta give the Purp credit He stopped everyone of those shots so none of the idiot spectators in the line of fire were shot.

She did good landed every shot and the tax payers do not have to pay for his housing and food the rest of his miserable life.
Death by Police sucks for the Officer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 21 foot distance is associated with Dennis Tueller. Mr. Tueller ran some force on force drills and found that typically 21 feet and less was close enough for a knife wielder to get home against a gun both parties participating in the drill. Closer was easier, farther was less likely but not necessarily too far for a fatal knife attack. The Tueller experiment has been argued in various Courts. There is very little appellate discussion on such issues. Criminal law is mostly very much jurisdiction dependent and so does not travel well. There is no nada zip Tueller Rule per se or any such. Extended discussion by real experts such as Mass Ayoob and Andrew Branca is available for a fee with much discussion that is not legal advice on YouTube. I suggest for free advice that often getting off the X is a good first response.

Bottom line here, not legal advice in any way shape or form, Mr.Tueller demonstrated that 21 feet is typically close enough for a knife man to hurt a gun wielder. Farther even much farther for an athletic knife user against an old and slow gun carrier. I suppose less against Bill Jordan in his prime.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 07/22/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
The 21 foot distance is associated with Dennis Tueller. Mr. Tueller ran some force on force drills and found that typically 21 feet and less was close enough for a knife wielder to get home against a gun both parties participating in the drill. Closer was easier, farther was less likely but not necessarily too far for a fatal knife attack. The Tueller experiment has been argued in various Courts. There is very little appellate discussion on such issues. Criminal law is mostly very much jurisdiction dependent and so does not travel well. There is no nada zip Tueller Rule per se or any such. Extended discussion by real experts such as Mass Ayoob and Andrew Branca is available for a fee with much discussion that is not legal advice on YouTube. I suggest for free advice that often getting off the X is a good first response.

Bottom line here, not legal advice in any way shape or form, Mr.Tueller demonstrated that 21 feet is typically close enough for a knife man to hurt a gun wielder. Farther even much farther for an athletic knife user against an old and slow gun carrier. I suppose less against Bill Jordan in his prime.

Excellent review. It is unfortunate that these cases have been litigated so much.

"Eminent threat" is always the baseline.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Don't approach a police officer in a threatening manner knife or not. It is a simple life lesson that eludes many.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He was a lot closer than that wide angle lense made him appear.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice shooting. No hesitation…..

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers

But that was with a holstered weapon, not the case here.

Suicide by cop anyway.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/22/21.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Eminent threat".

Learn that term.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With common use of security holsters by police the distance of threat from an edged weapon has been extended to 30'. As for the bystanders it would seem the dumbasses would realize they are downrange and get the hell out of the way.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.