A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I kinda like R&B. Ribs n Bacon.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ugh.....The Beatles. They were the first boy band. So, they got that going for them.

Give me The Who and to hell with Mcartney and Lennon.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sgt Pepper and the White Album were their Epiphany.

I remember being dumbfounded when I first got the White Album. I couldn't believe any group of musicians could switch gears like that.

I like Abbey Road a lot too

Absolutely.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Band on the Run" was on the jukebox at my high school hangout and I got laid to it more than once...so props for that!
But...my favorite by far of any of the Beatles was Harrison with The Traveling Wilburys...just freaking instant classic. A REAL quote "supergroup"!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ugh.....The Beatles. They were the first boy band. So, they got that going for them.

Give me The Who and to hell with Mcartney and Lennon.

Yeah, them and Menudo were on the same level for sure....

I never believed Pete Townsends story about the kid pics on his computer, so there's that.

Last edited by Higginez; 07/22/21.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Harrison was my favorite, Journeyman and I'd have to agree on the Traveling Wilburys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you believe Roy, George and Tom are all gone...FARK...I'm feeling my age more every day...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Hordes of pubescent screaming girls and a handful of male fans sure sounds like Menudo, New Kids, Backstreet, The Villiage People, Hermans Hermits, Chad and Jeremy etc. to me.
Pete was a fan too, so there is that.

The Beatles got big because everything else on the radio at that time was schidt from the 50's or phugging Petula Clark....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by CCCC
The Beatles and George Martin are to music AND stereo sound what Stradivarius was to the violin.
Perfect match of materials and talent came together to make something on a higher plane than what everybody else was making.
They changed art in such a remarkable way that we are still arguing over it 50+ years later.
It does not surprise me guys on 24HCF don't get it.
Well - is it really "art" that they changed and that folks argue about? Yes, clever and innovators to a limited extent - but quite a bit of BeatllesMusicStereoHyperbole in that post. Some guys on the Campfire get all of it very well, but their knowledge, skills and taste get them to a different elevation. But, I would appreciate knowing about the Stradivarius level ultra-advanced stereo sound equipment they created/invented.
It does not surprise me that you misunderstood my comment about stereo sound just like it doesn't surprise me that I mentioned George Martin and the OP replied "D18" which is a Martin guitar mostly unrelated to the subject. Hyperbole? No, the Beatles did a lot more for modern music than a Strad ever would, but I was trying to paint a picture for the old crusty guys on the fire. smile
You may be giving yourself too much credit - maybe dilettante gloating caused you to miss the twist of your nose. The "stereo equipment" line was a silly zinger just for you. I figured that you were trying to talk about studio manipulation when you said "stereo sound". Well - even without your overblown hyperbole many others and I understood a lot of what Martin and the boys were doing in studio with their dubs, retrogrades and inversions - assessed it by merely listening - in the 1960s. When did you first do such analysis?

You seem stuck on that Strad idea when it comes to "modern music" - so what is your definition of "modern music"? Do you mean rock, or pop, or the swing into disco - musical shows, or rap etc. Please describe. What do you call the stuff performed by really disciplined and highly accomplished musicians - with deep technique - like the ones who actually play a Strad? Do you mean that your Beatles did more for "modern music" than the "modern" composers who have written some of the most intellectually stimulating and artistically meaningful stuff since 1900 - like Schoenberg and his students Webern and Berg with the dodecaphonic method , or maybe Stravinsky or Babbitt, or Persichetti, or Corigliano? Just how high did those Beatles soar and how much true art did they create? Were those studio tricks on a higher plane than Itzak on a Strad playing the Bach Chaconne? I like some of the Beatles stuff - but the whole idea seemed rather trite - thus the term hyperbole.

Wrong - I did not misunderstand your comment about "stereo sound" - I did not understand it at all in the context you wrote. I think I understand "stereo" and probably understand "sound" as with frequencies striking the tympanum - but, since it is so central to your praise of the Beatles, please explain what you mean when you say "stereo sound" in your OP. Thanks.

Last edited by CCCC; 07/23/21.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Way to walk back your misunderstanding.

Stereo sound equipment they created?

Ha!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way to walk back your misunderstanding. Stereo sound equipment they created? Ha!
That "stereo" joke was on you - and you still don't get it. Is there even any personal substance at all for your heavy hyperbole about the "greater than Strad" business? You have the opportunity to answer several pointed inquiries and show your substance. Why are you avoiding that?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The founders of psychedelic music?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
he founders of heavy metal?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gunzo
Not chit lyrics, or maybe? but consider the times & mindset of the day. Borderline getting booted of the air, everywhere. In some locations it did.

Writing, Saying/singing a message that nearly got banned. Tricky, talented IMO. And, a pretty neat song. Shook things up at the time, another era. And, who in rock used a Sitar? The Stones did, the Doors as well, but,,,,,,,,,, the Beatles led that as well.

This is an all-star song? Norwegian Wood? Yes the use of the sitar is just beautiful and very innovative. But the lyrics are all but gibberish. A guy making vague references to banging some gal. It is a long long way from Shakespeare.

And yet, Rolling Stone has this one rated as the 86th greatest song ever written. Yeah, right. Such is the power and the pull of the Beatles.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
You can have all your "really disciplined and highly accomplished musicians - with deep technique."

Great music doesn't need any of it which hurts a lot of feelers as it has yours here.

Itzak Perlman and the dodecaphonic method? For fuggs sake!

Last edited by Higginez; 07/23/21.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Simon, I said it was an all star song? I'm forgetful as hell, but don't remember saying or even implying that. Just different & a bit tricky "AT THE TIME".

What groups, had songs to compare it to in the day, all pop, motown & bubble bum. Different times. But name some.

Does it compare with I want to fugg you like an animal by the 9 inch nails?? Hardly.

The 60's were the 60's. Vague references were all that got through the censors. My point. Any more to the point & it wouldn't have been played. BS bible belt standards for the FCC IMO, but that was the way it was.

How many TV couples with children were sleeping in twin beds, if they were even shown, or it was implied they even slept in the same room???? BS, way too innocent times. Another sign of wit & talent by the Beatles that they got a message across while working within the standards of the time.

Plays on words that let the listener form their own scenario, whereas video would have been added in the 80's.

Last edited by gunzo; 07/23/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Sorry Gunzo, I shoulda quoted Maestro CCCC.

Wasn't aimed at you.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I understand Higg, & I could have said what was needed in about 80% less words.

By todays standards, the 57 Belair drives like chit. A 64 SS 409 w/2 4's runs like chit. But both were the chit in there time & so were the Beatles.

Nostalgia aside, musicians to this day, still draw from some of the Beatles influences & tricks of the trade.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Elvis hated them. 😜

The Beatles torpedoed Elvis. He was dead in the water until his comeback concert in '68. That was a hell of a concert.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by auk1124
They're pretty good. I thought Born to Be Wild was their best song.

[Linked Image from imagesvc.meredithcorp.io]

Why are the two on the left holding hands.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.