Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
According to the quote I got, $4500 seems average. In New Jersey, I was quoted $11,500 for a 24kw Generac which lists for around $5200, $3-5K for a 500 gallon above ground propane tank plus someone to DitchWitch the propane line, absolutely ridiculous!

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Generac is pretty low-end. IMO, what you get depends more on the outage you foresee. Do you want something that will run your whole house for a week or two whilst Texas gets its act together? A couple of days while the local utility finds the problem and fixes it? Do you foresee some event that lasts for a year? If the former two, Generac is fine. For some long-term deal, you're gonna need a CAT diesel or the like. Two problems with Generac or similar brands...one is longevity. I don't think ANY gasoline, propane or natural gas system is going to be long-lived. Second problem is cost to run it...just fuel. Diesel is gonna cost a lot less over the long run. I expect there are a lot of people who could withstand the $10k to $20k expense of a full-featured, whole house genset, who couldn't afford to run it for a year.

JMO and I'm no expert.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

6-8 month waiting list here.

More or less the new norm; Generac is buried & their stock has doubled in the last couple of years.

$7500 for a 16KW, NG system installed.

If you can handle having enough gasoline or propane available, then a $1,000, 8-10KW gen plus around $700 for a switch & external plug installation will work for most moderate size house needs.

Not "automatic" & you have to do the switching/plugging in when needed, but works fine.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We bought a Yamaha 7200 and had our solar guy hook everything up including transfer from our panel for just about $2000. Ours is not automatic as we have to start the generator and switch the electric panel but it works great. My wife can even do it so I know its no problem to start up. Had to use it twice and no problem getting it going. Just to be safe though, we use non polluted gas in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Anyone have experience with one of the Generac systems?

The Generac 22 kw system I bought is automatic. When the power from the grid is interrupted. My transfer switch automatically disconnects after about 20 seconds. The generator starts and powers up my house.
When power is restored by the grid the generator stops and the automatic disconnect hooks me back up to the power company grid.
You can go online to buy the generator and disconnect.
The installation depends on the distance between you gas supply and your electric box. I was lucky my natural gas meter and breaker box was on the same side of the house. Generator installed in between. Also I had a slab pored for the generator. I also had to have a larger gas meter installed. Remember plumbers and electricians aren’t cheap.

Another thing . Insurance companies and fire marshals don’t like jury rigged plugs backed thru drier plugs.
Also manual disconnects should be used when hocking up a portable generator thru your breaker box.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

7 years ago we bought a house that had a 20KW Generac installed. Immediately after moving in, I needed to run a propane line to the kitchen, the convenient place was to use the generator feed. My thought was to temporary it in for testing, then I'd make it permanent. Of course, I disconnected the generator, got the kitchen up and running, and left the generator disconnected for 2 years.

Then we bought a new house and moved.

I hooked the generator back up (that had sat for 2 years untouched). Manually started it, fired after about 10 seconds of cranking. Shut it off. Pulled the main feed to the house. Generator fired right up and powered the whole house.

So, I have no experience running in a true power outage, but had no issues running after sitting untouched for 2 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
with a natural gas furnace, I have a couple of gas generators - a chinese construction generator that can run tools and lights and a Honda for the furnace and the fridge .

I'd like a whole house generator but I've lived here for 20 years and have been without power for maybe 10 days total. I can get by with what I have as long as I have fuel.

MIL lives on the gulf coast and has a Generac on propane. Keeps a trickle charge on the battery and has me start it up and perform maintenance on it once a year. Its kept the lights on after hurricanes for her twice now in a 12 year span.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/22/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I believe that the installed NG units require their own dedicated natural gas pressure regulator aside from and downstream from the gas regulator for your home.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our electric service is on the opposite side of the house from the propane tank. We checked on a whole house propane unit and install, it was eye popping expensive.

I decided portable units would be good enough for us. After adding 2 more freezers the 2400 Yamaha would have been maxed out so I took a chance on a Horrible freight 3500 inverter.

I can buy a bunch of really nice drop cords for the $4k install fee.

We really only lose power because of hurricanes and then only sporadically. Might be a few hours or a few weeks, never know how that's going to go down.

I do drag them out and test run them at least twice a year, draining the fuel afterwards.

Pizz on a hurricane.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes,we had a generac 17 kw (propane) installed 11 years ago cost was $4600 installed.Change the oil & filter once per year 5w-30 full synth.oil>never one single issue..

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a 20kw generac. Had it installed around 2009. Generator, pad, switches, and labor was $9500ish. We run off propane. It was money well spent. It was much used during the Texas big chill, but I learned I need a bigger propane tank. If I had natural gas, like in the city, I’d have gone with that.

Never had any trouble with it, and I do the oil changes and tune ups.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
$10K for full install of 22-24 kw generac here, transfer switches, concrete pad, NG hook up, etc. That's delivery of generator next march/April and install in june/July.

We've been without power for close to 90 hours since March. The pulling extension cords and fueling portable generators has gotten old.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by funshooter

I have
Lincoln Vantage 400 Diesel 17K 3ph 100% duty cycle 11.5 K 1ph 100% duty cycle
Polaris 12K gas Generator
Predator 8750K gas Generator
Ryobi 2K Generator
Lincoln Weldnpower gas with a 6K 1ph 100% duty cycle
and I just pot together a (8) 12v 200amp lithium battery system with a 4400 watt (2) poles of 120v 30amp & (1) pole 220v 30amp.
Magnum Energy Inverter system.

I can power an entire city block with what I have.
And my girl still says that we need to get back ups for power when we go to Arizona to work our property there.

Womens are never happy or satisfied with what you got when they get a bit paranoid.
What can ya do?????

Hit your knees and praise God that you got a woman that understands.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
$10K for full install of 22-24 kw generac here, transfer switches, concrete pad, NG hook up, etc. That's delivery of generator next march/April and install in june/July.

We've been without power for close to 90 hours since March. The pulling extension cords and fueling portable generators has gotten old.

That's about what our total quote was as well. But dang that's a long wait time. I'll have to see if the same rings true where I'm at.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

That's about what our total quote was as well. But dang that's a long wait time. I'll have to see if the same rings true where I'm at.

I've been saying I'm gonna do it after every outage for the past decade. This last one broke me.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Had a natural gas powered generac 22 kw installed just before Xmas. Ran 60+ hours. During our famous freeze.
Was not expecting to use it in winter. Thought it would only be used during storm outages.
BIL has a large gasoline powered generator. But when the power is out it’s usually out at the filling stations also.
Better have a lot of gas cans or diesel. Hasbeen

that's my thought's why worry about having a supply of gas sitting around, with national gas there is no refilling..

Ted
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.