Print Thread
Hop To
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Not at work so can't determine just how old/new this bullet is. I was thinking our 130 gr 6.5mm TSX has a flat base, which I was correct, but then last night I was running pre qualification for a run of our "new" 130 gr TSX with a BT. The FB TSX has a .365 BC, not exactly a bullet for this LR crowd but the new BT version's BC is .411. Still, may not be a cup of tea for this crowd but for the shooters who like, maybe even prefer the TSX platform...... From what I saw in the data last night the lower velocity functioning/expansion velocity is 1800 fps. Just now looked and their is data for the new bullet on our website for the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor, though basically they just seem to lump it together with the 127 LRX and 130 TSX-FB.

Just an FYI

Alan

BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
GSSP,

Honest question. Why does Barnes make TSX bullets in calibers under .338"? The TTSX and LRX versions seem to be much more popular, the BC's are better and expand more reliably.

Obviously Barnes must sell a few, but I've yet to run into a Barnes shooter that shoots TSX over TTSX.

Thanks for your response in advance!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish ya'll would bring back the 90 grain TSX or XBT whatever it was called in .257. That bullet shoots sub .5 MOA in my Model 70 FWT in 257 Roberts and it has killed literally dozens of critters. Only one has taken more than a step. I've tried the 100 gr and the 85 grain and can't get them to shoot near as well.

Last edited by DubThomas; 07/22/21.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Honest answer. I have no idea why. I prep brass, seat primers, charge powder, seat bullets and then shoot guns all day, or night as it is now. I have zilch to do with what and why we make what we make. Occasionally I get in on some R&D projects, trouble shooting, etc. I know this. We are running balls to walls, 24/7, at least Mon thru Friday with an extra 12 hr day crew coming in Friday through Sunday.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I understand and envy your job! Do me a favor and work up some load data for that new 6.5 bullet in a 6.5x284! I just picked up a Savage LR Hunter and that new bullet may just be the ticket!!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Match Burners shoot tiny groups in my rifles. Curious how they perform on game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bumped, because I just got a pile of these for the 6.5x55mm/60K psi project.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkcountry
GSSP,

Honest question. Why does Barnes make TSX bullets in calibers under .338"? The TTSX and LRX versions seem to be much more popular, the BC's are better and expand more reliably.

Obviously Barnes must sell a few, but I've yet to run into a Barnes shooter that shoots TSX over TTSX.

Thanks for your response in advance!

Elk Country

You have now.

- .30-06/168 gr. TSX/BT
- .270 Win/140 gr. TSX/BT
- 6.5x55mm/130 gr. TSX/BT (new)

For a hunting bullet... best not to get all balled up on BC.

Barnes - also uses 300 yd. BC, instead of the typical factory ammo hyped 100 yd.

... so they actually perform as advertised in the field.

Just pick a wt. that you can push fast enough to expand reliably at the ranges you expect to hunt.

Putting them through bone, like a scapula, will ensure good expansion.

GR

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Barnes still catalogs/manufactures 68 different TSX bullets compared to 33 TTSX bullets. Even adding the 17 different LRX bullets only brings the "tipped" bullet count to 50 total. Still a lot of die hard TSX shooters out there. The LRX and Match Burner bullets are shot "outdoors", vs in the 300 yd range, using Doppler radar to track bullets to 1500-2000 yds.

If in doubt about a Barnes Bullets minimum expansion velocity for impact, call or email them. You'll get a response.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GSSP;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day is behaving for you down in your section of Utah and all who matter to you are well.

Way back in the ancient times or the early '2000's, I had a few things happen with the cup and core bullets I was using that I didn't care for.

Apologies to those who've viewed this photo over the years.

[Linked Image]

When our girls started hunting in the local mountains I'd ask them to break one or preferably both shoulder blades on the buck they were shooting and Barnes' bullets worked very well for that task.

The eldest daughter has been shooting the 130gr TSX # 26442 in her Swede since about 2008 if memory serves. Now to be honest we don't shoot stuff very far away usually, but on at least one buck I asked twice if she wanted to get closer. Her response was to shoot it, breaking a rib going in, a rib coming out and then blowing the big knuckle that joins the scapula and ulna together to bits.

All that to say, in her 20" Swede loaded to the fairly sedate velocity of 2658fps, we've yet to stop one in a local mulie or whitetail buck.

A wee bit before that, I started to fool with the 168gr BT #30844 in a .308 Norma. They're loaded to 3000fps so again not blistering speed.

The one the right is the only one I've recovered. It broke a couple neck vertebrae on a 3rd rack whitetail buck heading towards me at about 250yds. The bullet then bounced off a rib, took out part of the top left lung, went through a full grass bag and then the hind quarter where it lodged under the hide of the left butt cheek.

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, way back when we found how they worked, we bought a few boxes and then between myself and a sharp eyed buddy, when he finds either of the TSX in a store, he picks up a box for us.

In my Swede this year I'm running the 120gr TTSX again, but mostly to see what happens more than anything else.

All that to say there are some of us out in the sticks still using the plain vanilla TSX and they're still working just fine for us as well.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BC30cal
GSSP;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day is behaving for you down in your section of Utah and all who matter to you are well.

Dwayne

Wait, are you gent who shot the huge 6.5mm bullet penetration test?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GSSP;
Good morning again sir.

No sir, that was BCSteve if memory serves correctly.

I'm not sure where he's at these days, but can look at a couple of the BC forums I'm on.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GSSP;
Looks like I found him on another forum.

Would you like to have him contact you?

Dwayne

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
No, thank you very much. Just wanted to rub shoulders and pay homage to someone famous....in my eyes!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GSSP;
Ah gotcha sir. Very cool.

No I'm just from the same general part of the continent as him and used it in my innerwebs handle is all.

All the best once more.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Said bullet has a BC = 0.41, which is pretty sad for a 6.5/130gr long range hunting bullet.

There's big improvement when you go to the 127 LRX at BC = 0.47

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Said bullet has a BC = 0.41, which is pretty sad for a 6.5/130gr long range hunting bullet.

There's big improvement when you go to the 127 LRX at BC = 0.47

At the hunting ranges determined by mono-metal bullet construction?

Probability not significant.

GR

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The 127s shoot pretty well...however 2-3 always have the tips askew or even broken off. That was about a year ago. Same with damaged 62gr .224 tipped. My all time best game bullet is the .30 150 TSX. 130 TTSX all seen very uniform. Any one else have tip damage from new in the box Barnes tipped bullets ?

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Uncas
The 127s shoot pretty well...however 2-3 always have the tips askew or even broken off. That was about a year ago. Same with damaged 62gr .224 tipped. My all time best game bullet is the .30 150 TSX. 130 TTSX all seen very uniform. Any one else have tip damage from new in the box Barnes tipped bullets ?

I hope you realize that the part of the bullet which makes or breaks the accuracy is the bullets base. The plastic tip, does not have the weight, near the centerline of the bullet, to throw off any accuracy. If one were a long range, 1000+ yd, shooter then the BC can be affected by a few points. The 127 LRX is NOT a bullet which one should consider for 1000+ hunting. In addition, the tip helps the BC. It does not, to any great amount, assist with expansion. Keep the tip or remove the tip, the bullet will still expand down to approximately 1600 fps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
331 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.