Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a scoped AR set up for precision rifle. I have two stripped lowers that I want to set up for what I'll term as all around use. For me that means having iron site and optical capability. I'm looking on the PSA site and these seem along the lines of what I want and in the price range I'm willing to spend. Would any of you who've put kits together have a preference or a different recommendation and if so, why?

https://palmettostatearmory.com//ps...ghtweight-m-lok-classic-rifle-kit10.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-classic-rifle-kit-odg.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com//ps...oe-ept-rifle-kit-with-mbus-rear-odg.html

ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought the 2nd one you have listed a couple years ago. Put it on Anderson lower & it's a very accurate rifle.

Romans 5:1
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Patience. I'd recommend you wait for one that is nitrided (superior to phosphate) and has the EPT (smoother polished trigger) and either MOE (Magpul poly) or railed (free-float aluminum) per your desires. Do you absolutely want the fixed front sight? Go from there. If I wanted to just use open sights, a good way to go at this price range, I'd prefer to have a fixed front sight.. Consider options using separate lower and upper options to get what you want. Might double check the specs of the included BCG. Just my take on PSA.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
What specifically are you looking for with the bolt specs? I'm probably looking to do one with the m-loc and folding sights to be mainly used with optics and the 2nd one primarily fixed sights with the flat top capability if I choose an optic later.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Possibly that first one you have linked. It's a mid-length gas and nitride.

Maybe this?

https://palmettostatearmory.com//bl...-kit-with-rear-mbus-flat-dark-earth.html

Originally Posted by aboltfan
What specifically are you looking for with the bolt specs? I'm probably looking to do one with the m-loc and folding sights to be mainly used with optics and the 2nd one primarily fixed sights with the flat top capability if I choose an optic later.

I don't follow every detail at PSA but they have varying grades of BCGs. Probably best to make sure it has a Carpenter 158 bolt.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Possibly that first one you have linked. It's a mid-length gas and nitride.

Maybe this?

https://palmettostatearmory.com//bl...-kit-with-rear-mbus-flat-dark-earth.html

I don't follow every detail at PSA but they have varying grades of BCGs. Probably best to make sure it has a Carpenter 158 bolt.

I wouldn’t trade a A2 profile for an M4 profile just because of the treatment. And as far as BCG they are all carpenter 158 full auto profile made by toolcraft. I have had both logo and non logo BCG and I can’t tell the difference.

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Seems he's looking for both, I'm suggesting nitride for both over phosphate. I like the stuff. Assuming nitrided bore, it's a big step up over phosphate. Good to know PSA never sells non-C158 bolts. They definitely do sell BCGs they don't specify as Toolcraft. In the top kit of the op, the bolt is specified as both C158 and then below as 9130....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t believe Toolcraft even makes bolts, just the carriers. And as MB said, the specs are listed differently on the same page. And as has been mentioned before, just because there’s a name on it doesn’t tell you what specs it was manufactured to.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Seems he's looking for both, I'm suggesting nitride for both over phosphate. I like the stuff. Assuming nitrided bore, it's a big step up over phosphate. Good to know PSA never sells non-C158 bolts. They definitely do sell BCGs they don't specify as Toolcraft. In the top kit of the op, the bolt is specified as both C158 and then below as 9130....

PSA can be misleading, but all are Mil Spec so when asked they said the 9130 was the bolt carrier, and the bolt is Carpenter 158 which matches the actual mil-spec. Have built 4 from them and the only problem I encountered was a SS A2 MOE freedom mid length 16” upper that was a little loose on the upper to lower fit on 4 lowers, an accu wedge took care of that issue and the rifle was a solid minute of coyote @300.
I got away from the MOE and went with lightweight M-Lok as I found the MOE to cumbersome in some respects and definitely added too much weight for an all arounder.

8620 (normalized). This is the MIL-SPEC (MIL-S-16794) alloy used to machine the bolt carrier.

Tensile Strength: 640 MPa
Yield Strength: 360 MPa

9310 (normalized).

Tensile Strength: 910 MPa
Yield Strength: 570 MPa

Carpenter 158. This is the MIL-SPEC alloy used for the bolt.

Tensile Strength: 1103 MPa
Yield Strength: 931 MPa

S7 Tool Steel.

Tensile Strength: 2030 MPa
Yield Strength: 1520 MPa

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have at least six BCGs from PSA sold as Toolcraft, no logo, C158 specified, two nitride and four phosphate. IIRC they are more specific on the BCGs sold individually vs in the kits, eg more details provided. Pretty good stuff at very good sale prices. I don't know where all they source parts, but, they'll have the following offerings simultaneously, enough for me to doubt all PSA BCGs are Toolcraft:

Premium BCG
Mil Spec BCG
Toolcraft BCG non-logo

If they list the bolt is made of two materials in the same ad, well, it's worth checking out. Properly treated 9130 can be "better than mil-spec" for bolts anyways, according to some. For example RubberCity uses it.

Anyway, good to see plinker kits under $500 again. I have a 10.5" nitride, EPT, MOE, shockblade kit, C158 bolt specified, A2 fs, that was $349 pre-pandemic plus a $50 Anderson lwr. I swapped out the rear buis for a $20 carry handle. Damn it's a lot of fun for the dollar! It ain't no SOLGW Trunk Monkey but it's mine.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I'm going to go with the m-lok model first and the moe second. I'll take the advice of the nitride finish and go with that. I want to set this up with folding sights and a red dot sight. Also going to put a light on this one. Main intent to be a bedside gun for grab and go emergencies. The moe will have a carry handle put on it but still be capapble of optics later if I need to go that route.

The question I have for you next; is the EPT trigger group enough of an upgrade over mil-spec to buy that upgrade versus buying an aftermarket trigger such as the Velocity trigger?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm going to go with the m-lok model first and the moe second. I'll take the advice of the nitride finish and go with that. I want to set this up with folding sights and a red dot sight. Also going to put a light on this one. Main intent to be a bedside gun for grab and go emergencies. The moe will have a carry handle put on it but still be capapble of optics later if I need to go that route.

The question I have for you next; is the EPT trigger group enough of an upgrade over mil-spec to buy that upgrade versus buying an aftermarket trigger such as the Velocity trigger?

The EPT is a good GI trigger compared to the other GI triggers I have. I can't say much else as that's all I have on ARs. I wouldn't buy it separately for an upgrade as there's so many other options, I suppose. But, for me, non-picky about AR triggers, they are aok. Good luck.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
PSA can be misleading, but all are Mil Spec so when asked they said the 9130 was the bolt carrier

If the carrier is 9310 then it’s not mil-spec. It might not matter to you, or matter at all, but words have meanings and they matter.

Either PSA doesn’t know they’re providing false information, knows the information is false but doesn’t think it matters, or is deliberately misleading their customers.

I know it’s not #1, and wouldn’t accuse them of #3. But if it’s any of them, the buyer should beware.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
In the three examples I gave as being interested in, PSA gives specific info on their bolt carrier group in each rifle. The m-lok example says it's bolt is 9130, the classic says it's non-logoed Toolcraft Carpernter 158 mil-spec and the moe says it's mil-spec Carpenter 158.

It appears to me they are fairly clear in their descriptions of the individual bolts of each package and it's up to the buyer to pay attention to what your buying and to talk with them to clarify any issues. This is also the reason I've brought up this topic on this forum. I have not kept up with ARs and your advice is already proving helpful.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I put one of these together on an Anderson lower a few years back:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...7-nitride-freedom-rifle-kit-5076171.html
It runs great with no drama. An inexpensive 1-4x scope rides on top.
Just for giggles I put it on another lower I had with an Elfman trigger in it. It shot Frontier 55 grain 223 ammo very well.
I took it to Texas and killed a nice sized hog with 65 grain Sierra GK reloads with the stock trigger.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I just put this one together today have not shot it yet. Used the blem lower they have on sale right now looks great.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...th-mbus-sight-set-bcg-ch-5165448415.html

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
These Toolcraft nitrided BCGs sure look good for a Benjamin - delivered. Bolt itself is marked MPI C158. Black is beautiful, more so than their picture depics. What I received are as nicely finished in glossy nitride as RCA. A couple more ordered.

https://palmettostatearmory.com//bl...r-158-bolt-carrier-group-516446915b.html

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.