Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16275726 07/23/21
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How many on here ever shot a legit 100yd match, I'm not talking shooting a chunk of steel the size of your garage door either?Starting last year my kiddo (now 21) started shooting 600yd matches with me. I built her a AR15 in a 224 Valkyrie, using a 20 inch AR performance barrel, I cant remember the upper Anderson I think with an Anderson lower. Float tubes I have no idea who made them something the LGS had for 90 bucks and an A2 stock I picked up at a gunshow for $10 bucks. Akwolverine here on 24 hour squared me up with the most important part the mil/mil 6X SWFA scope.

My daughter used this setup last year for the 600yard shoots and was able to attain master designation through the NRA in the AR tactical class. This year the club bought 7 shot marker and put on a 1000yard match up in talkeetna, My daughter signed up and was excited to shoot this match. I couldn't go even though I'm retired I still have to slum it in another job to be able to survive in Alaska. Anyhow back to the story. I initially built her a 6ARC to use for this match but man I'm having issues with that thing being consistent, one day it will shoot great group the next day not so great groups. So that project has been shelved until I buy a better barrel.

Few days before the shoot I took my daughter up to Talkeetna to the 1000yd range and had her shoot so we could get DOPE for her scope, Caveat to all this I did not read the NRA rule book very well and I was under the impression everyone including F class shooter used standard 1000 Long range target. We got good data for her rifle and she was pretty confident shooting out to a 1000yds. What was funny some guys their trying like hell to hit the steel target at 1000 and they hit once out several shots.

That night I pulled over 100 bullets from factory federal brass and dumped the powder so she have all new cases. I/we been using cases for the 600 yard shoots and its all on its last leg necks splitting etc these cases have 5-6-7 firings. This match all new cases for her, the load we use is known as the red rocket load. 24.5gr of H4895, with a 80gr ELD-M. I'm getting avg 2855 fps from this load all at mag length as well. Anyhow Brian Litz tested this bullet and found the avg B.C is actually .505 not the .487 that Hornady advertises. So her come up at 1000yds with this load is 9.4-9.5 mils 2 mph winds right or left .7mil adjustment.

This match was from this past Sunday, so that morning I get home and help her get all her stuff loaded up, momma is driving up later to cheer her on. I work nights so I get updates from her through out the day and she told me she is shooting on a f class target huh?? So I pull the NRA rule book up and sure enough they have a F class LR target lol. Yeah I'm not very bright sometimes. So the target the X ring is 5 inches, 10 ring 10 inches, 9 ring 20 inches, 8 ring 30 inches etc. She's doing this with an AR15 and a 6X swfa scope, if any of you ever seen an f class rifle we are talking 3-4k worth of equipment. At the end of the day my kiddo shot a 511 score out possible 600. Avg 8.6 so keeping them all in the 30 inch ring. Here are some pictures my wife took.

Targets are down their
[Linked Image]

Oh there they are
[Linked Image]

AR15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 07/23/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That’s good shooting 79.

Congrats to your daughter.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Forgot to add the winds really picked up in the afternoon at one point the 600yd flag was blowing hard right

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
That’s good shooting 79.

Thanks Deflave she’s pretty happy.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Seems like a little more scope magnification might be beneficial

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B2

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Seems like a little more scope magnification might be beneficial

So you shot 1000yd matches? If so what scope do you use?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way to go, young lady

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I do have a higher magnification scope for her a vortex viper pst but my kid does not like MOA. She tried it said nope I want to use mil/mil. I told her I should’ve put a 10x on, but she did have my 224 Valkyrie their as a backup and it has a 10x on it. She apparently felt just fine using that straight 6.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to your girl, and good on you for working with her!

I spent years shooting NRA highpower. Much more across the course than long range but I did mange to make HM LR. Most matches then were shot with open sights with a few any sight thrown in. And all with a sling.

I had to quit about the time F class was getting started. Rotten spine.

It looks like participation in traditional NMC matches is falling and F class growing?

Build her a good gun, the ladies I competed with were all very good shooters. Most of them started out without any bad habits unlike some of the young boys who just knew it all.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I spent years shooting NRA highpower. Much more across the course than long range but I did mange to make HM LR. Most matches then were shot with open sights with a few any sight thrown in. And all with a sling.

It looks like participation in traditional NMC matches is falling and F class growing?

Build her a good gun, the ladies I competed with were all very good shooters. Most of them started out without any bad habits unlike some of the young boys who just knew it all.

Thanks that’s the plan as of now build her a good f class rifle. You are correct f class is really growing and traditional nmc are dying a slow death. I tell you slung up for 20rds slow fire in the prone my back is screaming, with about 5 rds to go I just don’t care and want to get it over with lol.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is some impressive shooting by your daughter, and her platform is pretty spartan compared to what I see most shooting from at those competitions! Trying to get comfortable on some rocks ain't easy! I do not think I could even get decent eye relief or sight picture with this old body in the prone anymore!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
79S;
Good morning sir, I hope that all else in your world is going according to plan.

Thanks for the thread and photos and please send along hearty congratulations to your daughter for that fantastic marksmanship! cool

Way, way back in pre-rangefinder days a few of us used to go up the mountain west of town and shoot rocks at what we estimated by the bullet drop to be 750yds. We knew our velocities as we had chronographs, but range finders weren't a thing in the late '80's.

Anyways, I still recall the wind blowing the bullets off several feet sometimes. We got to the point where we understood where to hold for drop, but my goodness those mountain breezes gave us fits.

That's a fine bit of shooting in my view and admittedly limited and dated experience.

Thanks again and all the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WoW that's awesome ! congrats to her

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by blindshooter

Thanks that’s the plan as of now build her a good f class rifle. You are correct f class is really growing and traditional nmc are dying a slow death. I tell you slung up for 20rds slow fire in the prone my back is screaming, with about 5 rds to go I just don’t care and want to get it over with lol.

Yep, a hot heavy coat in NC summertime will end it for some before they get started.

Help her get all the range time possible with what you have for now. Good wind skill with a good rifle will beat poor wind skill with the most accurate rifle in the world.

Again, good on you for helping her get going.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And I'll add this, I didn't see a spotting scope in your pics, they are invaluable for doping the wind. A decent angled eyepiece with long eye relief and fairly low power. Don't have to be high dollar.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is fantastic. Congratulations to your daughter. Nice shooting.

Kudos for you being a great dad.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I shot F-TR mid and long range back in the day. 308 Palma chambered Pac-Nor bbl, savage 110 receiver, and so forth. Optics was Weaver T24 with 1/8 moa dot, fine wires.

Best 1k yard score at Lodi was 147-9x out of 150-15x possible. Shot the nat champs once at Lodi WI, fun. Common man shooting with the rock stars. Nice people.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome shooting and control! Good job!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Scope magnification...

I don't shoot 1000 yard matches but we do shoot 1000 yards. These plates are 17" and both guns are Bergara 6.5 CM's, mine wears a 10x super chicken, my buddy's wears a 6x super chicken. Guess which is which.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Hint, magnification is not nearly as important as good form.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good stuff!

I never shot a 1000 yd match. With sights.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.