Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking at the "Hunter's Campfire" forum I gotta think that at least a few of the regular posters here are somehow gripped with fear, and locked onto one or more news feeds waiting for the "other shoe to drop"...

Wonder if they ever take a walk along the river, or pick up their binoculars and watch some local birds. Do they have a lawn chair where they can sit and watch the night sky? Ever grab a zebco and pull some bluegills from a pond?

I don't like a lot of things that are going on in the world of today. I pray. I vote. I donate some money to various political causes and court actions.

But I don't obsess over what is wrong til it's the only thing that anyone knows me for
Or so I hope...

Last edited by johnw; 07/23/21.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Zebco?? Now you've gone and done it!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As the years pass there are things forgotten no doubt. What is fear?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Laughin...

Ya know... I once bagged on Rockinbbar for being a "debbie downer" of sorts. I was wrong. Dude is a ray of sunshine compared to some of the posters obsessed with whats wrong
But I think the difference with him is that he does stuff. Always got a new airgun or some kind of outdoor activity going on. Hog killing or stampedes. whatever...

dr johnw prescribes walking out the door daily for an hour or so of doing something...
Preferably before you post on the 'fire...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sound advice !!

That, or get another dog !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Maybe its not fear but anticipation.
Some folks want to see a change ( better or worse ).
For sure some folks dwell on the negative.
Some have had enough and are ready to do whatever needs done.
And of course, some are just old women wanting attention/ gossip.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/23/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

American-made Zebco 33 is a classic. Our version were Mitchell spinning reels made in France.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by smokepole

My old 33 died many moons ago after hossing in a chitload of carp.

Bottomg fishing, had to go in after it a couple times

Lasted years

Last edited by hookeye; 07/23/21.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from pics.onsizzle.com]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ain't afeared, I am staying sharp on some things that may be of use down the road and trying to locate more primers, canning lids, other useful things.

To much to do to be afraid, got to get ready, hand wringing does nothing to get you through...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bluegills Roger???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
Looking at the "Hunter's Campfire" forum I gotta think that at least a few of the regular posters here are somehow gripped with fear, and locked onto one or more news feeds waiting for the "other shoe to drop"...

Wonder if they ever take a walk along the river, or pick up their binoculars and watch some local birds. Do they have a lawn chair where they can sit and watch the night sky? Ever grab a zebco and pull some bluegills from a pond?

I don't like a lot of things that are going on in the world of today. I pray. I vote. I donate some money to various political causes and court actions.

But I don't obsess over what is wrong til it's the only thing that anyone knows me for
Or so I hope...

AMEN! Love walks, especially to parks with my 22 month old granddaughter, usually tote along some 8x32 binos, and I love going to local ponds and catching blue gills and small stocker trout. My wife is ADDICTED to Fox news and she starts most conversations with "did you see/hear what the left....", I just get sick and tired of it all. Not much I can do about anything except as you say pray, vote, donate as able.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bluegills Roger???

You know I haven't fished in fresh water in over twenty years, except when I fished lake Ontario with Dan and Leighton.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Or so I hope...

202 or 33?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Or so I hope...

202 or 33?

Bet millions have been caught on a 202 and garden hackle.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Bluegills Roger???

You know I haven't fished in fresh water in over twenty years, except when I fished lake Ontario with Dan and Leighton.

Coulda figured it

Awesome pic....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Or so I hope...

Nope, not living in fear for myself. . . concerned, disturbed and disgruntled by the way some things are headed, yes. I figure I have, maybe, another decade or so on Earth, so don't get to wound up with something I can't (as an individual) do much about short of praying. Our kids and grand kids will bear the brunt of today's goings on. I do fear for them. frown

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
John makes some good life observations in the OP. The kind of fear he mentions though, is the kind of fear that is mainly constructed in the mind of the beholder, triggered by the news, family drama, job loss, maybe health issues. Once a man has experienced real fear on a primal level, then he can easily dismiss the fear construct generated by trigger events. A man that has experienced combat, or burning sticks the size of fingers raining from the sky to the noise of ten locomotives on a fireline, flakes of rust popping off the working of the hull of a too old boat in 25 foot seas and 50 knot winds, visible layers of ice building on the wings as the plane sinks lower...that's real fear, hence the saying of some old GI: "don't sweat the small schidt".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't nick my last feeler if someone who knew how renamed this thread "The Zebco Thread"...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (Akhutr, Algotguns, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, Berksbowman, 10 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,234
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.