24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rem 513T w/custom stock, Redfield Olympic sights, and a spare butt plate of conventional form. Wagon box completes the package. For Sale....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BTW, the trigger is great and it shoots remarkably well, offhand or on the bench.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Walther KKMs along with the other mentioned are typically a great target gun and can usually be had relatively cheap (usually under or around $500).

PennDog

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Rem 513T w/custom stock, Redfield Olympic sights, and a spare butt plate of conventional form. Wagon box completes the package. For Sale....

BTW, the trigger is great and it shoots remarkably well, offhand or on the bench.

How did you make the trigger “great” in your rifle? Love the Remington 510 series (I have a bunch and they all shoot super) but the one complaint I have with the series is the trigger and lack of adjustment and the mechanics don’t lend themselves (easily) to normal trigger modifications.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 07/19/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Picked this one up at a Flea Market for $400, Mossberg 42 M(c), came with a Mossberg M4C Scope that is off to IronSight for a refurb....

It even came with a spare mag and both had the pins so you can shoot 22 Short

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PennDog

How did you make the trigger “great” in your rifle? Love the Remington 510 series (I have a bunch and they all shoot super) but the one complaint I have with the series is the trigger and lack of adjustment and the mechanics don’t lend themselves (easily) to normal trigger modifications.

PennDog

Did not have to fool with the trigger. It was used in Olympic competition many years ago and that was addressed by whoever it was that did the build. Haven’t put the scale on it but it is less than 3# and very crisp.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Curiosity is overcoming discretion, so... how much?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have, or have owned, Remington 37s, Remington 40s, and Winchester 52s, all good rifles.

A couple of years ago I bought a Marlin XT-22VR from Cabela's for around $150 and have been pleasantly surprised how accurate it is. I don't shoot open sights, but with a KT-15 installed it is far more accurate than a common as dirt $150 Marlin ought to be. I did swap the injection molded stock out for a Boyds Pro Varmint laminated stock. If you want to shoot iron sights, I'm sure that the XT-22 action and barrel could easily be d&t.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Originally Posted by PennDog

PennDog

Did not have to fool with the trigger. It was used in Olympic competition many years ago and that was addressed by whoever it was that did the build. Haven’t put the scale on it but it is less than 3# and very crisp.

Man that’d be nice DD - one of the 513S sporters I have has a fantastic trigger about 50% of the time (around 2#) the other half is around 4.5#s just don’t know which your going to get - fantastically accurate rifle though!

Muffin nice 42M - they are one of my favorites and most people wouldn’t believe how good they shoot (same for most Mossbergs of that era)!

PennDog

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I forgot about Mossberg. I've owned a couple of 144 LSBs that were pretty accurate for not a lot of money.

The Marlin 2000s are pretty accurate too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Older Mossberg's are always accurate. Even my 640KD is accurate and it is a 22mag:

Before I had a target rifle, this is the one I'd use for our local rimfire shoots. A guy at a recent know your limits shoot hit 7 of the 8 targets with his iron sight Mossberg model 144. It was damn impressive. The 7th target is 1/2" in diameter. Great thread guys. A lot of great suggestions. Again, if I were looking, I'd buy a Savage MK1 FVT or MK2 target rifle. I didn't post pics of mine before because I was at the coast on vaca. But here goes:

Good luck finding something that shoots as well or better in its price range. Next up is my 52B. Those that have them, know their capabilities. I've heard the 37's and 40's shoot better, but I'm pretty happy with this old girl:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking a bunch of us Orygun fellas should get together and show off our weapons and do a little fun shooting one day soon. Pick a spot somewhat central to the guys interested and we could have a fun day... maybe some informal fun type shooting competition ....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
T
I traded into a 513t a few weeks ago. I have really enjoyed it. My first gun w peep sights. I wish I could find some instructions on how to set them up. Probably much simpler than I am making it out to be. It shoots better than I do. The Redfield rear and open post front. I have enjoyed shooting it. September 1943. Has all the cartouches and is in overall great shape for a 73 yr old gun that I assume has had lots of hands on it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another one I just thought of is the old Savage Model 10 made by Anschutz sold by Savage in the late 60's-70's. Damned accurate instruments and reasonably cheap these days.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bobski
the Mossberg 44 was used in bootcamps and is a very accurate rifle. don't overlook them. I had one and was a tack driver.

You might be able to find a true left handed one as well. I had one and foolishly sold it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for everybody's suggestions and experiences but after a lot of thinking I'm going to go in a different direction.

No that I don't love these older (and newer) rifles which are still capable of stacking bullets, and with new eyeball lenses thanks to cataract surgery I can use peep sights again like I could 25 years ago, but in the past few years there has been a real renaissance in super accurate rimfire rifles that are generally available (maybe not right now but they will be again) and have lots of options for scoping, stocking and easily found aftermarket accessories.

Still drooling over a few of the old classics I've seen (Dan, this means you wink ) but I figure it's time to move on to the 21st Century.

Just starting the research, reading and watching reviews etc., but the Tikka T1x and Bergara B14R are mostly what I'm looking at since they both come in a left handed version and are "reasonably" priced. A CZ 457 is certainly a contender but still figuring out which configuration might suit my needs best, e.g. the MTR gets high praise but the grip is set up for right handers only.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Forsaking stuff made with soul for cold modern precision?! Good, all the more for the rest of us who love a little class to go with our precision! Kinda kidding. Maybe.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

There is no reason to not own 'em all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Thanks for everybody's suggestions and experiences but after a lot of thinking I'm going to go in a different direction.

No that I don't love these older (and newer) rifles which are still capable of stacking bullets, and with new eyeball lenses thanks to cataract surgery I can use peep sights again like I could 25 years ago, but in the past few years there has been a real renaissance in super accurate rimfire rifles that are generally available (maybe not right now but they will be again) and have lots of options for scoping, stocking and easily found aftermarket accessories.

Still drooling over a few of the old classics I've seen (Dan, this means you wink ) but I figure it's time to move on to the 21st Century.

Just starting the research, reading and watching reviews etc., but the Tikka T1x and Bergara B14R are mostly what I'm looking at since they both come in a left handed version and are "reasonably" priced. A CZ 457 is certainly a contender but still figuring out which configuration might suit my needs best, e.g. the MTR gets high praise but the grip is set up for right handers only.

If you arent going to get a classic rendition, dont waste your time with that other chidt. Go straight to the Vudoo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cisco1

There is no reason to not own 'em all.

Here is the unvarnished truth

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[If you arent going to get a classic rendition, dont waste your time with that other chidt. Go straight to the Vudoo.

Make my 'or not' a RimX.....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.