Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut

U have reservations at the Park ??

THIS ^^^

mrs slumlord is at Acadia now, had to get reservations and pay a permit fee, get a window hanger thingy for the mirror. crazy

And have to arrive at the gate at your appointed slot time.

Ya know....because of the covid

GB1

163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

yes I have reservation at Jackson Hole for 1 night then at a lodge at Yellowstone lake for 2 nights.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just north of Jackson in the Tetons is a Jenny lake stop and do the boat tour.

just for Fun
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a first time, and you've got the cash, apparently, I'd try a guided bus tour, preferably in an open-top. Otherwise, you're going to get traffic, traffic, traffic. At least with the bus OPEN TOP you can rip off a few pictures. Book a trip to Lamar from the lake lodge first thing, if that skunks you can cancel a second day of, say, Geyser Tour. If it's good, at least someone else will be doing the driving with a PLACE TO PARK.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I suppose seeing Old Faithful is mandatory because of its iconic status. I was through there on a bicycle in 2019 and found it somewhat underwhelming. I ended up staying there long enough for three eruptions while waiting for some thunderstorms to pass and it did become more impressive after you witness the regularity of it. Other than that it was crowded and the food available in the local packed restaurant was absolutely horrible.

Likewise, maybe it’s just me but I wasn’t all that impressed with the other geysers, mudpots etc. What did impress me were the numerous hot springs around the shore of the lake, it really gets across that you are sitting on a giant hot stove.

Due to time constraints and lack of phone service to make arrangements I didn’t have the time to get up to the Lamar Valley, but my cousin and his wife were there some years back and saw wolves and a grizzly in a stand-off over a carcass.

Two days? I would suggest one day for a tour and another devoted to just spotting wildlife.

In 2019 though there were bars showing on my iPhone cell service was practically non existent, I was told due to demand vs towers available. Keep that in mind if you’re planning on making calls while away from the lodge.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
For a first time, and you've got the cash, apparently, I'd try a guided bus tour, preferably in an open-top. Otherwise, you're going to get traffic, traffic, traffic. At least with the bus OPEN TOP you can rip off a few pictures. Book a trip to Lamar from the lake lodge first thing, if that skunks you can cancel a second day of, say, Geyser Tour. If it's good, at least someone else will be doing the driving with a PLACE TO PARK.

Some great suggestions many of which I will likely try. The guided bus sounds interesting. Traffic in Yellowstone sounds disappointing. Doe anyone recommend a pre purchased pass or anything like that? Any other ideas to make the trip smoother??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We’ll be there most of the next 6 days, and the surrounding area. My brother in law lives in Bozeman and his girlfriend is pumped to take us around the park. If you asked this question next week I’d have all kinds of advice but it’s my first time out here.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tag

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I showed some folks the Park in one day a few years ago. Hit the Gardiner gate before sun-up and hit it again leaving at around 11:00 P.M. We didn't miss much. We didn't do it justice but the folks still remember it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lamar Valley early and late, and Geyser Basin on an all day run.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Don’t pass up the mud pots

Just because Aunt Susie is in a huffy huff to gorge on Sysco gravy n onions at the lodge, throw her a pack of crackers.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 163bc

yes I have reservation at Jackson Hole for 1 night then at a lodge at Yellowstone lake for 2 nights.

Good deal......have a safe trip......

Don't feed the bears.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Lamar Valley if you like to watch buffalo. We were there in early June and the weather was great, but it may be a bit warm now just to go sit in the safe and watch u less early or late. I’ve heard the bugs can be bad this time of year as well

The Yellowstone Grand Canyon is beautiful, walk the path down to the falls, they are awesome

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Lonny
The Lamar Valley was always our favorite camping area due to seeing critters. Bring some optics, pull over, eat lunch and just scan for animals. Some animals will be seen all day, but mornings and evenings can bring bear and wolf sightings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I love the Lamar Valley. Lots of wildlife and used to be great fly fishing. Not sure about the fishing now, last time I was there the cutthroat populations were down. Still worthwhile though.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Pet a buffalo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, what others have said, Lamar Valley. Camera and binocs needed. Some of the Asian tourists are entertaining as well. You'll see.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Just returned from 5 days there yesterday. Very,very crowded! Lots of traffic and no parking. Attendance this year had exceeded their busiest year ever a week ago. Book a yellow bus tour if you can. They were sold out for us. A boat tour on Lake Yellowstone is also nice. Again you must book in advance. The road closure between Lake Yellowstone and Lamar makes for a very long trip around through Mammoth. 3 hours or so each way. May be longer if you encounter a bison jam!
Very limited dine in options available. I waited in line 2 and a half hours for a table at the Old Faithful Inn. The Lake Hotel Dining room is only available for hotel guests and sold out for the year.You can get on a waiting list but that closes down very fast. If you are staying in the Hotel itself you can dine in for breakfast if you are early.
All other dining in the park was carry out. All had long lines.
Also very smokey due to wild fires in Idaho and Montana.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tag

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Take a spotting scope and binoculars, they will be used a lot in Lamar valley.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (44mc, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.