Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Anyone know approximately how many hours are involved in taking a barrel from a blank piece of steel to a barrel that is ready to go on an action?

Depends, but a button rifled barrel would likely be measured in minutes.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Minutes for deep hole drilling, reaming the hole to size and then buttoning?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Minutes for deep hole drilling, reaming the hole to size and then buttoning?

Not hours

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Jesus what a bunch of time whiners. You should have done this when they weren’t so busy.

Like how you braggers did your ammo buying between panics.

Learn a little patience!

For the record I’ve never had anything but good service and the barrels I’ve put on have all been pretty good shooters.

Caveat:?no dealings with them newer than 20 years or so , but I would not hesitate to order a barrel from them now and wait for it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ain't about the time. It's about being quoted and then promised something and Then they blow right past that promised time without a word and only respond after several emails or calls wondering wth is going on. And the answer is bullshit for "we took a schitload of orders so we could sit on millions of dollars for months and then deliver when we feel like it and blame it all on covid" and we consumers are expected to fugg off until they feel like mailing us what we already paid for.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/19/21.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have an M38 Turk (Large Ring Small Ring) Mauser. Not being at all familiar with that setup, I sent the action to Shaw. After being late by more than two weeks I called to see how much longer. They apologized and send me my barreled action as soon as they could (about a week later). So I sent them an ugly, primer grey action. They sent me a blued action; bent bolt, with a 27" barrel. Ok it all looked good. I dropped it in a full bedded stock and had Timney add a 3lb trigger and updated safety. I took a guess at a load and I shot a three rounds that measured 0.274". For the price and that quality I will wait the 10, 12, 52 weeks to get my next barrel from them. Hint, it will be a 243 Win

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Seafire,

Did you go with a standard barrel or the "air gauged" ?

air gauged was an extra $10, so a high roller like me couldn't resist....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Jesus what a bunch of time whiners. You should have done this when they weren’t so busy.

Its a real simple thing and good business practice to 1. change expected wait times on your website and 2.Answer you damn phone and emails.

If they tell me it takes 10-12 weeks, then thats when I expect it. If they tell me it takes 8 months...then thats when I expect it.. Cal me whimsical....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

Like how you braggers did your ammo buying between panics.

Learn a little patience!

For the record I’ve never had anything but good service and the barrels I’ve put on have all been pretty good shooters.

Caveat:?no dealings with them newer than 20 years or so , but I would not hesitate to order a barrel from them now and wait for it.

Nobody should expect a business to do what they say they are going to do, or to communicate with customers when they can't do as they say they are going to do. Right?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by las

Its a real simple thing and good business practice to 1. change expected wait times on your website and 2.Answer you damn phone and emails.

If they tell me it takes 10-12 weeks, then thats when I expect it. If they tell me it takes 8 months...then thats when I expect it.. Cal me whimsical....

Okay,

You're whimsical....... whistle

IC B3

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by las

Okay,

You're whimsical....... whistle

I've been called worse...... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Shilen is no faster right now. I ordered a barrel blank for my 280 back in Feb. I was told 6-8 weeks. I got it two days ago!

No sweat, as I just finished setting my lathe up at our new house just last week!

Will be nice when things get back to "normal"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just missed a call from Shaw telling me that my barreled action is ready to ship. They received it the latter half of March. Got a call in to the return number and waiting on them to call back for the payment transaction.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ordered from hart end of April, notified today. Fell within the timeframe they had quoted me when I ordered - pleased with that and all communication from them.

Ordered 220 swift barrel for 98 11/30/20 got notice will be delivered tuesday 7/28/21.. Hope worth the wait

Old is not obsolete
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Epilog, after being told by email two weeks ago that the barrel was finished and shipped, it was a no show. So I called them, and they actually answered the phone! Long story short I crawled up their ass and blew up, barrel was still there unshipped....not good business practice to lie to your customers...

At any rate, its on its way now, with tracking info etc. Again I'll say if I win the Wimbledon Cup with this barrel, I'll never do business with them again, nor will I recommend them to anyone. 4 months late and smoke blown up my ass....zero stars!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Epilog, after being told by email two weeks ago that the barrel was finished and shipped, it was a no show. So I called them, and they actually answered the phone! Long story short I crawled up their ass and blew up, barrel was still there unshipped....not good business practice to lie to your customers...

At any rate, its on its way now, with tracking info etc. Again I'll say if I win the Wimbledon Cup with this barrel, I'll never do business with them again, nor will I recommend them to anyone. 4 months late and smoke blown up my ass....zero stars!

I hate being lied to. Who in the schidt thinks a lie on top of poor service and mistakes makes things better?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don’t know how good they are today. They made some barrels for Ruger that were erratic in performance. I replaced a bunch of them with Shilens over the years. May be ok now.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Good barrels but schitty service.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't see why it is so hard for companies to tell the truth. I deal in machine work for a living and I tell all my vendors, "tell me the truth, not what I want to hear". "I can deal with the truth, but you lie to me and we will not do business very long".

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.