Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
30-06 and I'm using Nosler 150 gr Ballistic Tips. Best load was with IMR 4064 although Reloader 19 ran a close second.
Phil

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
B4 you do anymore stuff to this rifle : clean the barrel and put a bore scope in this rifle and check out the rifling 1st, then decide what to do .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
TenX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did that before I ever started anything, barrel although long way from new, plenty good enough. Not planning on doing anything else except loading rounds and waiting for deer season.
Phil

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
In more than 40 yrs. of collecting and shooting/hunting pre'64 M/70 FWT rifles I have never found it necessary to do anything to the bedding of the barrel or action. Always have been able to find a handload that produced acceptable hunting accuracy.

Last edited by gunswizard; 07/23/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gunswizard
In more than 40 yrs. of collecting and shooting/hunting pre'64 M/70 FWT rifles I have never found it necessary to do anything to the bedding of the barrel or action. Always have been able to find a handload that produced acceptable hunting accuracy.

Then you may never have shot one with the original factory barrel bedding--which was FAR from free-floated. Instead it was just kind of loose--just enough to have the forend vibrate against the barrel in various weird ways.

There's more than one review of the new Featherweight back in those days that reported schidt accuracy. Unless, of course, you consider 2-4" 5-shot groups "acceptable hunting accuracy," which some of the reviews generously did back then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I most certainly do not consider 2-4" groups as being acceptable hunting accuracy. My rifles have unerringly produced 1" - 1 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. I have targets from my current pre '64 .30-06 to back up this assertion.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Been over half a century since a pre 64 was placed in that stock....It would be rare for the fit to be the same all these years later....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Fwt 30-06’s shoot really well with Hornady Interlock 150, 165 and 180 flat base bullets. I’ve had a few rifles that didn’t like Boattail bullets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I most certainly do not consider 2-4" groups as being acceptable hunting accuracy. My rifles have unerringly produced 1" - 1 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. I have targets from my current pre '64 .30-06 to back up this assertion.

Its all about standards. Some/most guys live with that kind of accuracy. Others want their rifles to be more consistent shooting and not have to worry about things changing year after year. Glass bedding has many positives. I don't condone glass bedding a collectible all original pre 64 rifle, but if it has had a recoil pad installed, all bets are off and it's fair game. Another thing glass bedding does is protect the stock from cracking out under recoil. I've seen a few pre 64 338's with cracked stocks. The 375's were prone to cracking, that's why the last couple years the factory installed through bolts in the stocks. Keep in mind, accuracy requirements are to be left up to the individual who owns the rifle. Mine have shot very well after a proper glass bedding job. I've tricked out a few in my day and they have all shot lights out.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Your "1 1/2" 3 shot group requirement is fine for you. As is the 1/2" requirement I have. Different strokes.. Sub moa 5 shot groups work as well. Even with crappy old Winchester power points:
However, take a good look at that target. That was when I was messing around with full length bedding that fwt in a mcmillan. Here's a good pic of that bedding job:
Proof that that particular rifle prefers to be freefloated. Its been my experience that most of them do.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a .338 WM that shot cloverleaf groups like that with the long discontinued Speer 275gr. RN and IMR 4350. No stock mods although it had a Canjar trigger, it was one of the best shooting pre'64 rifles I've ever owned.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Then you may never have shot one with the original factory barrel bedding--which was FAR from free-floated. Instead it was just kind of loose--just enough to have the forend vibrate against the barrel in various weird ways.

There's more than one review of the new Featherweight back in those days that reported schidt accuracy. Unless, of course, you consider 2-4" 5-shot groups "acceptable hunting accuracy," which some of the reviews generously did back then.

Agree. Purchased new in the summer of 1981and still have a .257 Roberts Win M70 featherweight. The forend tip rubbed hard against one side of the barrel. Shot poorly. I relieved the rubbing side wood, folded a match book cover and put it underneath the barrel at the tip. Solved the problem. Shot well with ken water's pet loads of 45gn of imr4350 with a 100gn Sierra spitzer, and 40gn of imr4064 and a Sierra 75gn, can't remember if Spitzer or hp.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The pre-64 M-70 30-06 FWT that I have recently has an Niedner/Linden styled classic walnut stock added
with a skeletal checked pistol grip cap and Niedner checked butt plate.
A friend had this at a local gun show. The odds are slim for running into this 1930s styled stock
for a 1950s Winchester M-70. Accurate plus- enough for a nice white tail buck this past Fall.

Two other standard M-70s are in 338-06 and 35 Whelen, utilizing the original barrels-found and rescued. Iron sights work in blinding snow...

Old gringo, old guns.

NRA LIFE

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This reminds me of my son he has a pre 64 mod 70 FW that shoots about the same.
I saw him dump 2 running coyotes with it one at about 200 the next one at 225 or so off hand he walked out of the timber and busted these 2 coyotes and just hammered them
He never uses that rifle as he has more confidence in better paper shooters. I give him a lot of crap over that. But I do understand
The dif in 1.5 and 1/4 inch really doesn’t mean much when shooting off hand or leaning agamst a tree
No concrete benches and sandbags in the woods

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.