Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
In some ways I've not liked the way Colorado has moved the elk seasons later on the calendar than they used to be but it does make for some better hunting at lower elevations. So I've been told anyway.

GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by WMR
Duh?? Ivermectin, of course! Actually, your idea of arriving 3 days early by yourself sounds like a bit of heaven. I actually like traveling by myself, or with the dog if it’s a bird hunt. Only myself to please. 3 days alone in elk camp might be enough for me to feign illness. Go early if you can and enjoy!

Ivermectin is for heart worm prevention in pets and farm animals. I think you meant "Ibuprofen" (active ingredient in Advil).

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jim1611
In some ways I've not liked the way Colorado has moved the elk seasons later on the calendar than they used to be but it does make for some better hunting at lower elevations. So I've been told anyway.

I can’t qualify the overall advantages of Colorado moving all but the 1st rifle season back one week. But moving them puts 4th season of 5 days starting Wednesday before Thanksgiving, a show stopper for us.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by test1328
I grew up above 10,000 ft. and still get up there quite often. I typically hunt between 11,000 and 12,000 ft. Sometimes after goats and sheep we can push towards 14K, but not too often. I've seen altitude sickness happen to people and seen them almost die. It is very serious, especially when guys are there to hunt and you're trying to convince them that they need to leave camp NOW and not just wait it out, which most of us would typically do. Once you feel like you just don't want to do anything, have a pounding headache, and still feel like you can't breathe, it is time to get to lower elevation. That is the only way to reduce the symptoms and stop the effects. And sometimes it is too late to reverse and you're going to need to go to the hospital. No one wants that to happen.

Good hydration, Diamox, no alcohol, and not pushing yourself physically until you are fully acclimated are all good things to do to lessen the effects. Acclimating slowly over 2-4 days where you overnight at increasingly higher elevations is probably the best way to avoid it all together.

Driving from Colo. Springs to the summit of Pikes Peak is a surefire way to experience altitude sickness. The good thing about it is that you don't need to spend a lot of time at the summit and that you can quickly descend just by hopping in your car. This typically doesn't work in elk camp.

Going up Pikes Peak ruined my trip to C Springs. Coming back down didn't help. i felt terrible and had to leave early (Air Force trip). Didn't feel bettter until plane landed in Texas.

Last edited by blairvt; 05/12/21.
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by WAM

I can’t qualify the overall advantages of Colorado moving all but the 1st rifle season back one week. But moving them puts 4th season of 5 days starting Wednesday before Thanksgiving, a show stopper for us.

I know. I wish they had not moved them like they are now.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WAM

I know. I wish they had not moved them like they are now.

Me, too. I usually liked hunting 2nd season when it opened 10/22-24 and hunting 3rd when 2nd opened earlier. Now, 4th season opening later poses 2 obstacles for me: Celebrating Thanksgiving with family and traveling long distance that late in November. As a non-resident, I guess I’ll just go with the flow until I can’t! Happy Trails

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
FYI, I've hunted Colorado since 1992, I always had trouble sleeping. In 2016, I didn't get a wink of sleep the whole 6 days I was there, I was exhausted, luckily, I shot my bull on the second night. Same thing happened in 2017 and 2018. I kept going to my GP and getting meds for altitude sickness. In 2020 I had to go to see a Rutgers, NJ Occupational Health Specials doctor because I was having some throat issues and I was a first responder during 911. While I've always had trouble sleeping, it was getting worse, when I saw the doctor she said to me "you look tired". When I explained my sleeping issues, she sent me for a sleep test and I failed badly, I have sleep apnea.

Just be careful, I use a CPAP now and all is good, I don't know if they make a battery operated one for camping. I'll see this year if the CPAP helps and will let you know. Be safe out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Altitude affects everyone differently. I live below sea level. I am typing this at 9300 feet. Other than very mild headaches, I suffer no ill effects. Obviously my lungs take a while to acclimate. My wife does well when she first arrives, then at about the 2 week mark starts suffering fatigue, shortness of breath and headaches.

All of the suggestions given are good and may work for some or even most people, but some folks simply can't overcome the effects.

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the comments guys. I always feel better at the end of my trip when it involves altitude so it seems getting an earlier start at getting there would be a big help. Some of the other guys I go with can't really do that though so we compromise. My dream hunting trip is to just go myself and get there 5 days early, set up camp and lounge around then when they show up I'm charged and ready to go, likely allot more than them!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Check with your doctor about medication. Diamox. I have been to Tibet and Peru. We started taking the meds several days in advance and it helps. Lots of water and avoid coffee (OMG!) and alcohol.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I live at 7650. Have been for the last 45 years. Hunting at 8000 feet even gets me running out of air. I can't exercise, ,I drink a lot of water,no booze and move slow. I don't venture more than 200 yards from my mule now days.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Had it maybe once, mild case from day hiking at 11K with no acclimation. Better to arrive early and spend the first night in the truck at minimum.

Coffee or tea never an issue, it helps in the AM and I drink plenty of water on the hike up anyways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Genetics and personal physiology I believe is the biggest variable, but outside of adequate acclimation I believe drinking a lot of water is the best thing a person can do to help themselves out. A gallon a day isn't too much, by any means.

I love my coffee as much as the next guy, but it does dehydrate you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Genetics and personal physiology I believe is the biggest variable, but outside of adequate acclimation I believe drinking a lot of water is the best thing a person can do to help themselves out. A gallon a day isn't too much, by any means.

Actually, now the "experts" say coffee doesn't dehydrate you. Alcohol is the worst for that but......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Not drinking alcohol is fine for me, I quit a long time ago. On my first trip to the high country I had read don't drink coffee so I didn't. Horrible headaches then it dawned on me maybe just to cut back a bit. I sometimes think keeping as close to a normal diet might be best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Actually, now the "experts" say coffee doesn't dehydrate you. Alcohol is the worst for that but......

Well they could fool me then....everytime I drink coffee in the evening I wake up the next morning dying of thirst.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, experts are like that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A few years ago on the last day of our hunt we had a guy that was complaining of chest pains, loss of breath, arm tingling etc and had to be taken down to town and to the ER. Come to find out it was alcohol induced as a group of them were celebrating the elk harvest the night before and he had a few too many shots.. This was at about 9500 feet and we stay about 7900 ft..

On the bright side, if you go to the ER in Granby CO, the nurses are very easy on the eyes!!!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I
Originally Posted by tburkepa
A few years ago on the last day of our hunt we had a guy that was complaining of chest pains, loss of breath, arm tingling etc and had to be taken down to town and to the ER. Come to find out it was alcohol induced as a group of them were celebrating the elk harvest the night before and he had a few too many shots.. This was at about 9500 feet and we stay about 7900 ft..

On the bright side, if you go to the ER in Granby CO, the nurses are very easy on the eyes!!!

But I’ll bet there is a bar nearby with eye candy with a lower co-pay! LOL

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
At high altitudes in Peru the pharmacies sell small personal bottles of oxygen, this can be a life saver if you have a severe case. The other thing in Peru that really helped was Coca tea, this would be hard to find here but I don't think it is illegal, same for chewing coca leaves. The Rolaids and Diamox are about it as far as I know as preventatives. Getting there early and getting in shape are the two best things you can do. With age you will acclimatize more slowly. Try to plan the big hikes for after you have been there a few days. Go early scout and set up a really nice camp for the guys who can't go early.

If you have even mild symptoms go to a lower elevation, if it gets severe you will not be able to get yourself to a lower elevation on your own.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,196 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.