-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey guys ,I've had a 20" green mountain barrel on my 10/22 for quite a few years now with many,many rounds through it. The last two days I've had 2 out of battery detonation, case head seperation and bullet in bore.Had this happen years ago all using remington golden bullets.There is something going on with the chamber on this barrel and think it's time to replace, no barrels anywhere. What are you guys using and happy with??

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a .920 stainless non fluted bbl from GPC years ago.
And the walnut stock. Thought about slapping one together but the bbl is heavy. Think a Tacsol .920 would keep it hunting weight and fill the stock channel nicely.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I would suggest maybe the chamber of your current barrel needs a good scrub with carbon solvent before considering changing the barrel?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cageycat
Hey guys ,I've had a 20" green mountain barrel on my 10/22 for quite a few years now with many,many rounds through it. The last two days I've had 2 out of battery detonation, case head seperation and bullet in bore.Had this happen years ago all using remington golden bullets.There is something going on with the chamber on this barrel and think it's time to replace, no barrels anywhere. What are you guys using and happy with??

I tried a green mountain 20" stainless barrel as well. I was not happy at all with it. The Factory carbine barrel shot just as well, which is disappointing. I did some research and found that the Kidd barrel is highly suggested. A lot of guys say you can get a good shooting green mountain barrel most times, but if you buy a Kidd, it will always shoot well. They guarantee 1/2" groups at 50 yards and they do shoot that well. The last one I bought was $230.00, which was not bad at all:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used this rifle in a recent know your limits shoot my club puts on and decided to step it up a notch and throw a Nighforce on the rifle. Damn, did it shoot well. I switched rifles after a while, but there was definitely no flies on the Kidd barrel....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by PaulNZ
I would suggest maybe the chamber of your current barrel needs a good scrub with carbon solvent before considering changing the barrel?

I pulled the barrel after the first malfunction and cleaned the chamber real well, a live case would fall out if tipped up. Put the gun back together and about the 6th shot it happened again.It could be the chamber ,Bentz chamber is too tight for the remington ammo. When this happened years ago I switched to federal ammo and never had another problem. Now with the ammo shortage I've been shooting up all my odd stuff. I installed the factory barrel yesterday and put a 100 or so rounds through it and not one hiccup. Thanks for the advice, I'm just a little gun shy with this barrel now, when you have this type of detonation it's not fun!!!.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hookeye
I have a .920 stainless non fluted bbl from GPC years ago.
And the walnut stock. Thought about slapping one together but the bbl is heavy. Think a Tacsol .920 would keep it hunting weight and fill the stock channel nicely.

Thanks, I will look into that!!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I tried a green mountain 20" stainless barrel as well. I was not happy at all with it. The Factory carbine barrel shot just as well, which is disappointing. I did some research and found that the Kidd barrel is highly suggested. A lot of guys say you can get a good shooting green mountain barrel most times, but if you buy a Kidd, it will always shoot well. They guarantee 1/2" groups at 50 yards and they do shoot that well. The last one I bought was $230.00, which was not bad at all:

I used this rifle in a recent know your limits shoot my club puts on and decided to step it up a notch and throw a Nighforce on the rifle. Damn, did it shoot well. I switched rifles after a while, but there was definitely no flies on the Kidd barrel....

Thanks, do you know what chamber yyhe kids barrels are??

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My GM heavy taper 19" wasnt very good til I tried SK match.

5 shots under .5 at 50 yards, repeatable.

Only GM bbl Ive had.
Took match ammo to get it to shine
Tried 5 or 6 diff non match types and they werent very good, about as bad as a decent factory 1022 bbl.

LOL

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks, do you know what chamber yyhe kids barrels are??

Proprietary to Kidd. Some say slightly tighter than a Bentz match chamber. Mine runs flawlessly and I don't have to fire to clear, as you do sometimes with the green mountains..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The chamber on my CSC is tight. Some ammo starts to hang up after a time, some, like current Velociters won’t seat properly, so may misfire as the firing pin rams the round home. No whoopsies yet, and I don’t push the envelope, just switch ammo when the trouble first arises. Just part of the price for better accuracy. I’d stick with a standard chamber if maximum reliability was important, or use a bolt gun.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been pleased with the Clark barrel I installed a number of years ago. They start with Lothar Walther blanks. That said, the Green Mountain sporter barrel I recently installed on another is a decent shooter. I've yet to try quality ammunition.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Ed that’s a nice looking rifle..
Possibly the favorite attribute of my KIDD build is not it’s superb accuracy, but that it simply does not hiccup.

And I’ve run it to filthy and back again with all levels of ammo

Last edited by Certifiable; 07/24/21.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
There are quite a few good 10/22 barrel makers but I think it's possible to get a lemon from any maker, even though it would be rare from the top brands. I have a Green Mountain I got on sale and it shoots about .500" average 5 shot groups at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity. It would probably do better with Lapua Center-X, SK Rifle Match , Eley Tenex etc.

I'd say some popular choices are Kidd, Fedderson, Lilja, Shilen and Lothar Walther. Depends on how much you want to spend.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bowmanh
There are quite a few good 10/22 barrel makers but I think it's possible to get a lemon from any maker, even though it would be rare from the top brands. I have a Green Mountain I got on sale and it shoots about .500" average 5 shot groups at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity. It would probably do better with Lapua Center-X, SK Rifle Match , Eley Tenex etc.

I'd say some popular choices are Kidd, Fedderson, Lilja, Shilen and Lothar Walther. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Good solid post..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

This tells me it is not the barrel.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys for all the advice, I should have said from the beginning that this is not a bench gun.I am a rancher and we shoot ground squirrels often, I'm on my sixth brick this year, have had this gun for 20 plus years with this green mountain barrel installed before it ever fired a round.Yesterday I had the barrel off so soaked and scrubbed most of the day, inspected the chamber with a jewelr's magnifying glass and there are a few faint scratches but nothing major, installed barrel and shot a 100 or so through it with federal and performed perfect. I think the remington bullets just don't fit this chamber properly so will not be using these through this gun anymore. May look for a new barrel this winter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys for all the advice, I should have said from the beginning that this is not a bench gun.I am a rancher and we shoot ground squirrels often, I'm on my sixth brick this year, have had this gun for 20 plus years with this green mountain barrel installed before it ever fired a round.Yesterday I had the barrel off so soaked and scrubbed most of the day, inspected the chamber with a jewelr's magnifying glass and there are a few faint scratches but nothing major, installed barrel and shot a 100 or so through it with federal and performed perfect. I think the remington bullets just don't fit this chamber properly so will not be using these through this gun anymore. May look for a new barrel this winter.

Remington ammo is garbage. I thought everyone knew that. Back in the day they made some good stuff, like the yellow jackets, but todays Remington rimfire ammo is crap. That is good you cleaned up your barrel and its working good now.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Remington ammo is garbage. I thought everyone knew that. Back in the day they made some good stuff, like the yellow jackets, but todays Remington rimfire ammo is crap. That is good you cleaned up your barrel and its working good now.

bsa, I know Remington is junk, I hate it but with the shortage of 22 ammo I thought I would burn up two bricks that I had.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

bsa, I know Remington is junk, I hate it but with the shortage of 22 ammo I thought I would burn up two bricks that I had.
Have to use what you have. I keep a factory Ruger barrel that will swap in to eat anything (Remington and Winchester). All aftermarket barrels get Federal and Aguila as a minimum.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I hear you man. In these times, you can't be too picky. I drove 100 miles last month just to buy 5 boxes of Eley 22lr. It was $12.00/box too, but I needed it for a know your limits shoot. What's funny is I was saying Remington ammo is crap and somehow they managed to put their name on that box of eley ammo. Ha ha.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.