Double post. Please delete.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some of these posts crack me up. There is no one size fits all with any breed. All my Brits (currently own 3) are from hard core horseback field trial lines, they RUN big when they need to, yet shorten up when foot hunted off of. They can be high strung, but typically relax in the house after a few minutes. With that said, I have never just left a Brittany in the house when I was gone. That’s a recipe for disaster. Ill never say never, but I don’t see myself ever not having a Brittany to hunt over. For the guys saying that shorthairs are better, well we’ve obviously seen different dogs. I have seen some absolutely stupid shorthairs that shouldn’t even be fed. IMO, Brittany’s as whole, are a hell of a lot smarter than GSP’s.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
After 4 labradors.... I got a Britt last December...

The little terrist have been exceptionally destructive... a sure fire sign that he is not getting enough exercise...

I can say a few things for sure... This little fuggr is smart... Not Border Collie smart... but way more wheels turning than a Labrador by far...

Bird crazy right out of the box... At 8 months... he is already pointing woodcock... not steady yet.... but still. Impressive.

We'll see what hunting season brings...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like you're looking for a companion dog more than a field dog. Britt would be a great choice. But get one from show stock........not hunting stock. My first Britt was a liver/white female from horseback FT stock. Took me the first year to reign her in to a closer working, hunting dog. She ended up being the dog of many lifetimes. Steady to wing & shot. Soft-mouthed retrieve to hand (even got a deep water retrieve on a turkey from her like she did it every day). Hunted balls out until I couldn't go anymore and still leaped into the bed of the pickup at the end. She was very affectionate to anyone. But really didn't want bothered much unless you were taking her to the field to run or hunt. At 4 years old I had her bred to the #2 stud Britt in the nation (#2 to his father who was #1) at that time. The sire was of show stock more than anything. Got 8 females and 2 males. Kept an orange female as my pick of the litter. Most beautifully perfect female Britt I've ever seen !!!! Dumb as a brick in the field. Sweet as pie. Laid back. But dumb. Never hunted a day in her life. But would have made a prefect companion dog.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’ve had Brittany’s last 20 years. They are sweetheart dogs. None of mine have ever tried to bite anyone. They are very social and they lead the pack and have to be first around other dogs. They can run nearly 25mph and have the best endurance I’ve seen. They are curios at anything thing that flies and will sneak and point naturally. Only couple bad traits. They are stubborn and will try your patience. You need a big place for them to run. I have 200 acres and still have to keep in kennel case one neighbor that she bothers. You need to let them run a minimum of an hour everyday. They are extremely high energy and will go as long as you do. They are probably the most natural hunting breed I’ve ever seen. You will have to have good patience to own one. We let ours in the house at night in the winter. They are real easy to keep inside. They are a breeze to house train. When working them they get bored quick so you have to engage with activities. They are resilient and strong and healthy.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.