Campfire Outfitter
R
12 gage and 9 shot.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Longarm, that’s a lot of paper. 👍

The larvae will continue to develop. I knew of a person that cut one down in late fall thinking all was froze out.

Not so, some were still ‘alive’ and he had about a dozen bugs in his man cave after hanging it up near his wood stove 🤦‍♂️

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Great post.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Whatever you decide, try to get video. This might be a problem at night but could be featured in a Jackass movie. Or maybe win some funny video prize.

Just out of curiosity, what would a professional charge to deliver the bagged nest to your door? I wage war on these little beasts fairly often, but would be tempted to reach for the checkbook in a case like this.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have you ever been stung by hornets? Other wasps and bumble bees are baby poo by comparison. That shop vac idea sounds interesting but I'm wondering where the operator positions to avoid the swarm. Surely you don't get them all at once as they come out? Don't some nests have more than one opening?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Single opening generally.
Intake below the nest entrance so that they can see the entrance upon flying in

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Longarm, that’s a lot of paper. 👍

The larvae will continue to develop. I knew of a person that cut one down in late fall thinking all was froze out.

Not so, some were still ‘alive’ and he had about a dozen bugs in his man cave after hanging it up near his wood stove 🤦‍♂️

slumlord;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully the week was a good one for you.

What you said is our experience as well.

Buddy cut down a big nest one time in the fall and brought it into the house and hung it in the living room.

We were having coffee there shortly after and hornets started dropping out onto Jim. Jim didn't like that much as it turned out.

As I recall the nest got stuck in a big microwave after that and no more hornets came out then.

When we did it, I stuck them in a big black plastic bag and gave it a mighty dose of some brand of hornet killer, then closed the bag for a week.

I'm not sure other than as I type this, the Yellow Jacket sting I got two days ago is still itchy....

All the best and good luck to the OP.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bag ‘em and hit the bag with good dose of carb cleaner. Leave tied up a day or so.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by longarm
Gentlemen,

I'm uniquely qualified to comment on this topic. I usually color well within the lines here on the campfire, but about this subject, well I don't believe there's another fella on the forum that has had his hands on as many of these as I have.
I had 15 live nests in my hands today. 636 of them last summer.

To the OP, If you want to preserve the paper nest your best bet is to remove all of the adults first. A Shop-Vac with extension tubes works well for this. They react to vibration and so simply bump the bush with a stick and they'll come storming out.

Bald Faced Hornets, If that's what these are, are a far-ranging species. Vacuuming to get all the adults may take a half an hour or more. You're welcome to send me a picture and I can positively identify the species for you.

The queen will not leave the nest. And keep in mind that the nest is currently full of larvae and pupae which are hatching out constantly. So once you finish vacuuming and you think you can cut the nest out you will need to then drop it into a chest freezer. Leave it in the freezer for several days, then take it outside and let it air out for a week or more in the heat. It will stink a bit during this process.

Wear all the protective gear you can during this removal. If you have a beekeeper friend borrow a veil and gloves.
Bald-faced hornets can sting multiple times and bite hard enough to draw blood. They can also squirt venom and so while you're working the nest keep your eyes slightly averted downwards.

Sprays, etc will degrade the paper nest capsule. Plastic bags will do the same.

Anyway contact me if you have any questions and I can walk you through it.

Great post!

Encountered one about 12' up in an oak tree. Had multiple branches through it. It was about 2.5' long and 1.5' wide.... Huge one.

I believe they abandon the nest every year and build a new one, no?

Letting this one get the eviction notice... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I found 2 one winter I thought I would cut down in our local duck hunting Wildlife management area. It was late January and we had multiple hard freezes already. These were in trees over water but I could reach them from a boat. It was in the.high 20s or low 30sthat day. I eased the boat up and left the.motor running in neutral. Bumped the tree the big nest was in and live hornets started.dropping out. They were sluggish but could fly. I ran to the back of the boat and killed the.motor when I threw it in reverse. luckily it started easily and had drifted sideways so I could put it in forward and get away. Several were almost on me when the boat took off.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the replies and interesting stories everyone. It sounds like lots of us have had some interesting times with these guys!

Longarm, that’s for the detailed post, I’ll agree that you are uniquely qualified! I’ll send over a PM. Ive seen videos of the shop vac method but fear I don’t have the proper protective gear to deal with them!

I’m thinking a good combo route may work, with a quick shot of pyrethrin to knock out the guards and then the tarp/ fogger combo that Slumlord suggested.

For the video requests - if I had the gear it would be fun but since it’s going to be an after dark run we’re probably out of luck. Any aftermath will be photographed, including any stings as well as the nest if we get it.

Hogwild7; glad you got out of there OK!

BC30’s microwave comment was interesting, never thought of that, but I think ours is too small for the nest

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have dusted wasp nests with Diatomaceous Earth (DE). It is not a registered pesticide, but desiccates (dries out) the insect's bodies. It is safe and basically non-poisonous. BTW, it is what some people out in pool filters.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you can get a tight plastic bag around it, tie it up with a chunk of dry ice in it. That'll suffocate them. I don't know if it'll take care of the pupae, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
does the canned smoke bee keepers use work to encourage them to find a new home?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sevins dust.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Seriously though,
I've removed a lot of different wasp hives of various varieties, put them in clear lexon display containers for live educational displays, but don't recommend it as it is a high risk endeavor.
"Kids, don't try this at home.". 😉

HC

You're full of [bleep]. You haven't done this. I doubt you've even whacked one with a stick as a kid.

The bible says "thou shalt not bear false witness" and reading your posts I can see you make up half of what you say. All religious fanatics like you are liars and you try to get on here acting like a good guy, trying to blend in with the boys. We know what you are.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
There is a hornet spray that shoots a stream many feet.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rwa3006

Seriously though,
I've removed a lot of different wasp hives of various varieties, put them in clear lexon display containers for live educational displays, but don't recommend it as it is a high risk endeavor.

HC

You're full of [bleep]. You haven't done this. I doubt you've even whacked one with a stick as a kid.

The bible says "thou shalt not bear false witness" and reading your posts I can see you make up half of what you say. All religious fanatics like you are liars and you try to get on here acting like a good guy, trying to blend in with the boys. We know what you are.

Have you considered he's lyin' about being religious? whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rwa3006

Seriously though,

HC

So, I see I'm not the only one that sniffed this mf'er out.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
rockinbbar
Possible to get a better pic of that one? Is the exterior shell smooth or covered in spikes?
Dan

The size, shape, and your location makes me think it might be the Mexican Honey Wasp, One of a very few wasp species that actually makes and stores honey

Last edited by longarm; 07/24/21.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1_deuce, 22kHornet, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 43 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.