Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Anyone use this spotting scope? Need to replace my old BL that I bought back in the 90s. Want something lightweight, but good clarity.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hello. The top end Kowa's are very good. Unfortunately the 501 isn't an elite unit. It is built as an entry level spotter I found the zoom had poor eye relief and started having clarity issues past 25X. The little 50mm Razor at Hougen's is better but over 1000.00 CDN. The 55MM Kowa is amazing but spendy. The Minox 50mm is good if you don't wear glasses as it's eye relief is a bit tight but it's a very good unit.. I have one for sale you could look at (I live in Whitehorse) and The Leupold 50mm is also better. If You want to stay Kowa the 60mm is a better unit than the 50 and still pretty light.

Here is a good article on the small spotters from 2015. http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=1499

Last edited by North61; 07/24/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Kowa TSN-553 for lightweight, long glass scouting. It’s an excellent piece of gear, that is almost perfect for what I’m using it for.

I can’t speak to the 501, but after reading north61 findings, I’d probably go a different direction, like he suggested.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I wish I'd bought the Kowa 55 now that I have looked through one. Worth saving for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you’re ready. Doug @ CameraLand is your hook up.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one, and it is a very average piece of equipment.
Also it is made in China if that makes a difference to you, I bought mine from optics planet and asked them before I bought where it was made and they said Japan, they lied

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by North61
Hello. The top end Kowa's are very good. Unfortunately the 501 isn't an elite unit. It is built as an entry level spotter I found the zoom had poor eye relief and started having clarity issues past 25X. The little 50mm Razor at Hougen's is better but over 1000.00 CDN. The 55MM Kowa is amazing but spendy. The Minox 50mm is good if you don't wear glasses as it's eye relief is a bit tight but it's a very good unit.. I have one for sale you could look at (I live in Whitehorse) and The Leupold 50mm is also better. If You want to stay Kowa the 60mm is a better unit than the 50 and still pretty light.

Here is a good article on the small spotters from 2015. http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=1499

Thanks good info. My son has the 55 Kowa so I know its very good. Let me know what you are asking for the Minox.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I needed a compact spotter and researched this for quite a while before buying. I ended up with the Athlon Chronos 12 x 36 x 50. I have used it for 1 hunting season and also for target shooting now for about a year. It is perfect for my use. Super-light, compact and fits in a padded water bottle pouch with room to spare. Not Alpha Glass by any means but not far away from it. Doug recommended this as the best compact spotter in this market price niche. I could not be happier.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/25/21.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I needed a compact spotter and researched this for quite a while before buying. I ended up with the Athlon Chronos 12 x 36 x 50. I have used it for 1 hunting season and also for target shooting now for about a year. It is perfect for my use. Super-light, compact and fits in a padded after bottle pouch with room to spare. Not Alpha Glass by any means but not far away from it. Doug recommended this as the best compact spotter in this market niche. I could not be happier.

Interesting. I have never heard of that brand before. I bought my Lieca binoculars from Doug and he knows his stuff. Thanks for the information

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I needed a compact spotter and researched this for quite a while before buying. I ended up with the Athlon Chronos 12 x 36 x 50. I have used it for 1 hunting season and also for target shooting now for about a year. It is perfect for my use. Super-light, compact and fits in a padded after bottle pouch with room to spare. Not Alpha Glass by any means but not far away from it. Doug recommended this as the best compact spotter in this market niche. I could not be happier.

Interesting. I have never heard of that brand before. I bought my Lieca binoculars from Doug and he knows his stuff. Thanks for the information

The Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 ED Spotting Scope is an excellent unit. I cannot think of any other compact unit that comes close to this quality near this price point.
Aprochromatic Lens System: Apochromatic lense system gives you the result of images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition
ED Glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 30%
XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Dual Focus: Dual focus has dual speed focus knobs that offer both faster and finer focus adjustment
Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,808 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.