Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm putting together a rifle for family that is in law enforcement. Their furnished ones are well used and not cared for at all. May be a little overkill, but you take care of a Rolls better than a Fiat.
Shilen 7.5 twist in 16 or 18"
Stiller Predator lower

A4urcoM4 A4 Upper Receiver with M4 Ramps, incl ejection port cover and

forward assist kit

1cba Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly (.223/5.56)
1chc Charge Handle Complete
1TR12.6M White Oak Trooper Rail w/ M-LOK Length 12.6" (Barrel Nut Included)
1gts Gas Tube Standard Rifle Length
1gbsr750r WOA Service Rifle Railed Gas Block .750 (Black Nitride Finish) with

x-long gastube roll pin

1beWOA White Oak Competition Barrel Extension (M4)

SEE ENCLOSED INFORMATION

x1fh Flash Suppressor Threaded 5/8-24 TPI, with crush washer
3lpkE Enhanced Lower Parts Kit with Nitride Pivot and Takedown Pins (less

trigger)

3gstri Geissele Automatics Super Tricon
3UBRgen1-blk Magpul AR-15 UBR Gen 1 Stock - Black

Last edited by butchlambert1; 07/24/21.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Butch,
The named parts all look good to me, Shilen, Stiller, White Oak, Geissele, Magpul, and when a family members life is on the line, there is no such thing as overkill.

Besides, as gun people often we are not the best at telling people we care, we show it in ways like this.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nez Rongero , my buddy, will be the smith. My Grand Niece and her husband are in law enforcement. Molly is an IRS Criminal Enforcement officer and husband is PD officer. Thank God they are in Texas, at least for the present.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's a criminal enforcement officer ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Butch, are you open to a few suggestions or are the parts already ordered?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
What's a criminal enforcement officer ?

They deal with the gangs, cartel, and such. She is not in the accounting office, but has a masters in accounting and is a CPA. I think you know what they do.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Sure!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Sure!

16" at the max length. Even those are hard to handle getting in and out of a car. The lighter the profile the better. It'll be carried a LOT more than it's shot and if it's heavy it just won't get carried or trained with like it should. Mid-gas for a 16" barrel, but that's probably all that's available.

I'd opt for a gas block that's either pinned, or at least dimpled. We've seen those exposed clamp on gas blocks come loose. I'm not sure I've ever seen one survive a rifle school, but can't say for sure. Dimpled / pinned and covered with a rail is a much safer bet. Gas blocks are a major failure point.

I'd go a bit longer on the rail. Looks like WOA offers that rail in 14.6". It'll allow him to mount a light further forward to minimize shadowing and make shooting off a barricade a little easier.

The UBR stock is heavy. Again, I'd try to keep it as light as possible.

And have him check to see if his department has any special restrictions. That Tricon trigger may be too light (we have a 4# minimum). And just random restrictions that some cop working at a range thinks make sense. For a long time we couldn't carry anything that wasn't factory assembled. Well-intentioned family members would buy really good rifles that couldn't be used.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I understand your points. His dept has given an OK on our list of items. Length and weight is important in my way of thinking also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I agree with most of Blue's comments & will add that except for pretty exclusive use along the lines of a dedicated DMR rifle, it would never, ever be a rifle gas gun for your stated purpose.

YMMV

MM

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
FWIW, I agree with most of Blue's comments & will add that except for pretty exclusive use along the lines of a dedicated DMR rifle, it would never, ever be a rifle gas gun for your stated purpose.

YMMV

MM

I understand that it will be thrown around, but is anything in the build to keep it from being a good weapon for their purpose. I'm listening as this is not my expertise.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shilen is known for match barrels, most are not chambered for true 5.56 NATO ammo and it could have pressure problems. Might be just over gassed or it could lose a primer and tie up the trigger, it’s happened.

Railed gas blocks won’t fit under a rail where it’ll be protected. If it’s not pinned it can get knocked around and turn into a manually operated single shot.

For an LE gun, think Colt 6720 type and work from there instead of starting with a target rig.

Or if a basic Colt is not what your after, try this.
https://sionicsweaponsystems.com/lawenforcement/patrol-rifle-three/
Or here
https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/sons-of-liberty-m4-patrol-rifle/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I understand that it will be thrown around, but is anything in the build to keep it from being a good weapon for their purpose. I'm listening as this is not my expertise.

Well, I kinda think that your mind is already made up & you're just looking for confirmation, so it is what it is, but a rifle gas gun will never have the cast iron reliability & margin of error for conditions & variable ammo of a mid-gas or a carbine gassed gun.

Hence my comment about rifle gas, & I like rifle gas & have several, but those are purpose built rifles, not your, be-all, do-all LEO of home defense rigs.

If you really want to see what a LEO rifle should look like & it's specs, go to Geiselle's website & review their 16" LEO designated guns.................that's pretty close to what that kind of gun should look like, maybe even back the barrel down to 14.5".

But, please, carry on as you will.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For LEO use, I'd take the Toyota of rifles over Rolls or Fiat. I want simple and dead nuts reliable. It wouldn't be pieced together in someone's garage and intended for bench use or decked out with all kinds of trick [bleep] (funky gas block/gas tube, match trigger). It also wouldn't weigh 10lbs bare.

I'd be on the hunt for:

1: Sons of Liberty Gun Works Patrol

2: Geiselle Super Duty

3: Colt 6720 or 6920

4: Rock River Tactical Entry (I was issued one for years and it was flawless).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

YMMV

MM

Based on my experience, I'd say that it's definitely a "good weapon", but not a "good weapon for the purpose". Although well intentioned, the money is being spent in the wrong places.

He needs a rifle light enough to carry for hours, that'll shoot 2MOA with duty ammo, a light with all the candela, and a quality optic (preferably with magnification).

Ditch the $480 barrel and get him a $180 barrel and $300 light.
Trade the Super Tricon for a 4.5# SSA, or better yet a $120 G2S or $60 ALGish trigger and put the money toward an LPVO.
Make it a 16" mid-length, or a pinned 14.5"-13.7".

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

YMMV

MM

Based on my experience, I'd say that it's definitely a "good weapon", but not a "good weapon for the purpose". Although well intentioned, the money is being spent in the wrong places.

He needs a rifle light enough to carry for hours, that'll shoot 2MOA with duty ammo, a light with all the candela, and a quality optic (preferably with magnification).

Trade the Super Tricon for a 4.5# SSA, or better yet a $120 G2S or $60 ALGish trigger and put the money toward an LPVO.

Butch,
Blue, as always, offers some great advise worth taking.
The Brownells version of the G2S is my default trigger for this type of build.
For a barrel, I'd split the difference and go with the Criterion Core Series, mid-gas barrel in the length of your choice in the 13.9" to 16" range. They are button rifled, chrome lined, very accurate, made to handle high round counts, and well balanced to be carried all day.

Alternatively you could save a few buck and look at something by Ballistics Advantage in their Hanson Profile. They are stainless barrels, come with a pinned low profile gas block, provide good accuracy for the money, and are balanced to be carried all day.

There a couple other items not mentioned that personally, I upgrade on tactical rifles.

1. Charging Handle. Either BCM, or Radian, preferably ambidextrous.
2. Ambidextrous selector switch.
3. Sling. A good modern 2 point such as the Magpul Multi-Mission Series.

In the OP, for a muzzle device, you mentioned a flash suppressor, but it didn't say which one. They are not all equal. Montana Man knows some makes and models worth serious consideration.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I need to reiterate that I posted this for input only. Nothing has been written in stone. We are not using an off the shelf AR barrel. Shilen supplies blanks to Nez Rongero's specs. Disregard money in this build as it isn't the issue. I have 2 custom Service Rifle legal comp. rifles and a couple "self Defense" AR rifles for my wife and I, but we have a couple shotguns and pistols also. I am not an AR savvy guy and this is the reason for the post.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from and appreciate your input.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

YMMV

MM

The optics and sling will be their choice as that is their part of this. Fortunately this project is not to save money in one area to put it someplace else. I want it to be a great rifle that is purpose built for their use.
Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to reiterate that I posted this for input only......We are not using an off the shelf AR barrel.

Well if you want input, I think you should not be so dogmatic about having a custom contoured Shilen barrel and listen to what people who point rifles at other people for a living are telling you is important.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Nez Rongero , my buddy, will be the smith. My Grand Niece and her husband are in law enforcement. Molly is an IRS Criminal Enforcement officer and husband is PD officer. Thank God they are in Texas, at least for the present.

For those of you who are not familiar with Nez....and some of you may recognize the name just below his:

[Linked Image from marchscopes.com]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 70 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.