Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't see where you've changed anything from a heavy contoured target rifle built by a very good target shooter and from what I hear a very good smith. But that's not what a patrol rifle needs to be.

Light weight pencil barrel profile, 16" at max. Mid gas. Threaded 1/2x28 with a .625 gas block that will fit under a longer rail. The rail will protect the gas block and provide additional room to mount a light and BUIS. I prefer pinned but dimpled and loctited will work, not enough room for a clamp style gas block under the rail and mid length is 9" so that doesn't leave room for the accessories it will need. Chambered true 5.56 NATO ported correctly.

This thing needs to be light and reliable way more than it needs to be target accurate. Most training classes run 8-1200 rounds of ammo and are shot in 2 days at most, it must survive or money is wasted and lessons go unlearned. It's more than just riding around in the trunk.

Blue may not be on the line at Camp Perry but he is the one to listen to when it comes to building what you are asking.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No hate at all that I see..............but down the road, maybe some toldjaso's. wink

Most of the people on here giving you some good advice have done / used what you are asking about more than once; you admit to not knowing & not having done it.

Your mind on the general configuration was made up before your 1st post & though I haven't been place really close attention to where you are now, but it looks like about all you've changed is going to a 16" barrel from the originally intended 18".

There are people / builders / manufacturers that specialize in different type of configurations, & your guy is obviously very good in his niche, but maybe not quite at the same level in this particular niche.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will be a little more specific. It will have a LW 16" barrel.We can build or contour to any barrel contour to and including fluting. It will have the suggested Geissele trigger, suggested hand guard, and a suggested butt stock. The list that was posted was not made by my builder, Nez.
Now, what am I missing? I have taken your advice seriously.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Exactly which gas block will be used?

Just for clarification on the longer rail and some ideas, this gun is close to what Blue was suggesting. It's got a dimpled low profile gas block under the 15" MI hand guard. It's a Sionics 16" pencil barrel with mid gas and if you look close, you can see the gas block is behind the light. Now picture an exposed railed gas block on the same mid gassed barrel and your rail must now be behind the gas block. That's gonna leave 8" of exposed barrel and flash hider and only 9" of rail space to mount a light and your support hand.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Yes there are other options for a light but a longer hand guard just makes the most sense.

Last edited by TWR; 07/27/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Butch,

If it were MY build, and I've built a few patrol rifles in my time, I would go with a LW 14.5" barrel with a JP Enterprises 3-prong Flash Hider pinned and welded, the WOA handguard, nitrided gas tube, nitrided or stainless gas block, pinned if possible, dimpled & Loctite 209, SSA trigger, Magpul ACS Stock, and the other parts you mentioned.

Having climbed in, out, and off of vehicles with even a 16" AR can be clumsy and every inch counts. Add in running, climbing fences, scaling walls or other obstacles
He needs a dead-nuts reliable long gun that should be as precise as possible, understanding that even SWAT snipers rarely shoot beyond 100 yards, so even a 1.5-2 MOA rifle will do anything he will need.

I have NO doubt that Nez will build it to be even more accurate than 1.5MOA.

I'm with Bluedreaux on nixing the WOA rail gas block. Just put the longest hand-guard on it you can and keep the gas block & tube protected. Add a set of Troy Tritium MBUIS and he's ready for anything.
My Patrol rifle(s) still ride with me every day, often strapped on my ATV or resting on the floorboard of my truck as I ramble around the desert, but more often I carry one slung on a VTAC two-point sling They aren't abused, but they aren't coddled either.

Think about an adjustable gas block if he's going to put a can on it. I have done that to mine so I have that option and not over-gas my system. but retain full functionality.

Hope this helps,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Butch,

If it were MY build, and I've built a few patrol rifles in my time, I would go with a LW 14.5" barrel with a JP Enterprises 3-prong Flash Hider pinned and welded, the WOA handguard, nitrided gas tube, nitrided or stainless gas block, pinned if possible, dimpled & Loctite 209, SSA trigger, Magpul ACS Stock, and the other parts you mentioned.

Having climbed in, out, and off of vehicles with even a 16" AR can be clumsy and every inch counts. Add in running, climbing fences, scaling walls or other obstacles
He needs a dead-nuts reliable long gun that should be as precise as possible, understanding that even SWAT snipers rarely shoot beyond 100 yards, so even a 1.5-2 MOA rifle will do anything he will need.

I have NO doubt that Nez will build it to be even more accurate than 1.5MOA.

I'm with Bluedreaux on nixing the WOA rail gas block. Just put the longest hand-guard on it you can and keep the gas block & tube protected. Add a set of Troy Tritium MBUIS and he's ready for anything.
My Patrol rifle(s) still ride with me every day, often strapped on my ATV or resting on the floorboard of my truck as I ramble around the desert, but more often I carry one slung on a VTAC two-point sling They aren't abused, but they aren't coddled either.

Think about an adjustable gas block if he's going to put a can on it. I have done that to mine so I have that option and not over-gas my system. but retain full functionality.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Hey Ed, good to hear from you. All of your input is good. I will keep you guys up to date as the build unfolds.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Butch, PM me your phone number again. My cell phone "updated" a while back and I lost a bunch of numbers...It'll be good to catch up!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Butch, PM me your phone number again. My cell phone "updated" a while back and I lost a bunch of numbers...It'll be good to catch up!

Ed

On the way.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rifle is finished. Waiting on the laser and sling and so forth.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Post up those pics man..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pics should be up today. I'm ready for the critique. Chuckle chuckle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Pics should be up today. I'm ready for the critique. Chuckle chuckle

You won't get any critiquing from me. I am just interested to see how it turned out. The cool thing about AR's is you can make them any way YOU want. Often times we do not agree on how the end product should be, but that is human nature. I can take my 20" ar's and do anything you want, but a lot of guys like their short barreled ar's. To each his own..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Butch’s pics

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Butch’s pics

Thanks, the accoutrements aren't in hand yet. The laser was for him to play with it until his sling, sights and so forth gets to him. I know it may not be to everybody's idea of the ideal AR and later he may change his mind about part of it. Before the build started Nez took Griff to the range with 4 different ARs. He wanted him to handle different configurations before the build got started.
I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all of your advice and input.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Change his mind after it’s built? I’ve never heard of anything like that….

Hey that’s part of the allure to these. Trying something to see if it fits you or if you need something else, it’s an easy fix.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Change his mind after it’s built? I’ve never heard of anything like that….

Hey that’s part of the allure to these. Trying something to see if it fits you or if you need something else, it’s an easy fix.

That is my point. The AR is new to him as Griff is a rookie. Changes can be made very easily.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have him kit up in body armor and take it for a spin.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Have him kit up in body armor and take it for a spin.

Oh the benefits of a collapsible stock…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
No hate at all that I see..............but down the road, maybe some toldjaso's. wink

Most of the people on here giving you some good advice have done / used what you are asking about more than once; you admit to not knowing & not having done it.

Your mind on the general configuration was made up before your 1st post & though I haven't been place really close attention to where you are now, but it looks like about all you've changed is going to a 16" barrel from the originally intended 18".

There are people / builders / manufacturers that specialize in different type of configurations, & your guy is obviously very good in his niche, but maybe not quite at the same level in this particular niche.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

During My short time in Afghanistan we were issued 14.5 " Bushmasters with the 3 round burst. We worked out of up armoured Chevy Siverados. We had a factory issue M4 collapsible stock. We never had lot's of room in the cabs of those Chevies and I always thought they were the perfect rifle for those trucks. I didn't think they were too long or too heavy. Mine had a standard carry handle but some of the guys had Aim Point patrol optics. I put together my own version of that rifle. I no longer work out of a patrol car or up armored pickup but I wouldn't be afraid to carry one just like it again. Sometimes I think we over think what is viable and would work well for us. All we need is some familiarization and training. Problem solved.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our cars are just too small. Put a full console, camera, control box, tethered mic, and laptop in an Explorer and a 16” gun feels like a musket.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 21, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 3,343 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.